• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting statements about the more radical scene of certain groups of youngsters during the time, when I myself was at high school ! 

But the jazz friends I had at school or got to know who mostly were some years older, never talked against american jazz. The other way round, artists like Miles, Mingus, Ornette, Rollins and back to Bird were our idols. 

I knew there was also some radical folks who were against everything. I was not interested in those kinds of matters, never demonstrated for or against something. I liked Monk´s statement in a Valerie Vilmer interview were she tries to get some "political" statements from him and he only said "I don´t let that bug me". 

18 hours ago, Pim said:

A215-C195-5-D6-C-4493-B126-021-B4-CB9-EA

@HutchFan ain’t the only Hutchfan around here :)

I think it´s from the same session or about the same time as "Idle Moments". Very fine playing. I think once in two, three years I feel like listening to both of them. Person, Cranshaw Harewood is a very fine rhythm section, but I discovered that I´m listening less and less to those more "smooth" rhythm section. Even if it´s straight ahead jazz, I like it a bit more "pushed" with more challenging drummers like Tony Williams, Joe Chambers or Philly J.J. and a lot of others....., and Herbie or Andrew Hill on piano.....

But no question, very fine music. Only I think it was in the vaults for long time, maybe Lion and Wolff thought it´s too similar to "Idle Moments". 

28 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I think it´s from the same session or about the same time as "Idle Moments". Very fine playing. I think once in two, three years I feel like listening to both of them. Person, Cranshaw Harewood is a very fine rhythm section, but I discovered that I´m listening less and less to those more "smooth" rhythm section. Even if it´s straight ahead jazz, I like it a bit more "pushed" with more challenging drummers like Tony Williams, Joe Chambers or Philly J.J. and a lot of others....., and Herbie or Andrew Hill on piano.....

But no question, very fine music. Only I think it was in the vaults for long time, maybe Lion and Wolff thought it´s too similar to "Idle Moments". 

Yeah it was from the same session. I think they might thought it would not be a succes releasing it after the Idle Moments session. I prefer the more free minded Hutch as well but still enjoy this session very much.

On 4/30/2022 at 9:18 AM, Rabshakeh said:

The Incredible String Band – The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter (Elektra, 1968)

R-6903661-1490115777-6440.jpg

I recently finished Joe Boyd's excellent book of recollections. I enjoyed the absolute pasting he gave the ISB. It reminded me to pull it out.

Ha! I used to really like them but purged all those records maybe a decade ago.

600x600bb-2.jpg?1642632957

Melissa Aldana - 12 Stars

I've been picking up the D2C Blue Note releases since i heard how amazing the Gregory Porter - All Rise sounded compared to the CD version. This and the Immanuel Wilkins both sound fantastic and I have the Trombone Shorty, Joel Ross and Gerald Clayton on their way this week. 

Edited by jcam_44

7 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Ha! I used to really like them but purged all those records maybe a decade ago.

I think that there was a moment in the 00s when the ISB went through a revival. Something about the time made them retrospectively sound very special. 

12 hours ago, Brad said:

E1FF3FCB-5D34-4832-99CA-2CAA0D0D844B.jpeg

This is the first I have heard of this compilation. Having read a little about it after seeing this post, I thought it would have a listen. It's amazing stuff, and you can immediately see how hard it hit the music scene at the time. Presumably the Bluesbreakers and Yardbirds etc just stayed up all night listening to these tracks on repeat and forlornly trying to replicate them.

7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I think that there was a moment in the 00s when the ISB went through a revival. Something about the time made them retrospectively sound very special. 

yeah, late 90s/early 00s -- at least that's when I got turned on to them and bought all their Elektra records. I still rate aspects of many of the records but don't need to keep them in the racks.

Those Vanguard Chicago Blues comps are super. 

29 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

When I went to work at Delmark/Jazz Record Mart in 1966 Bob Koester claimed Sam Charters (producer of the Vanguard set) stole his "little brown book" to get all the musicians' phone numbers.

From what I know of Charters, that sounds plausible.