What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

36 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

When I went to work at Delmark/Jazz Record Mart in 1966 Bob Koester claimed Sam Charters (producer of the Vanguard set) stole his "little brown book" to get all the musicians' phone numbers.

While that sounds sleazy, is there a specific reason why these artists wouldn't have wanted their phone numbers more widely known to a producer in the record industry?? Was Charters offense more against Koester than the artists?

• Replies 55.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, bresna said:

While that sounds sleazy, is there a specific reason why these artists wouldn't have wanted their phone numbers more widely known to a producer in the record industry?? Was Charters offense more against Koester than the artists?

Against Koester, I would think.

11 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

This is the first I have heard of this compilation. Having read a little about it after seeing this post, I thought it would have a listen. It's amazing stuff, and you can immediately see how hard it hit the music scene at the time. Presumably the Bluesbreakers and Yardbirds etc just stayed up all night listening to these tracks on repeat and forlornly trying to replicate them.

This was part of a RSD release last year that included all three volumes. However, Craft just announced they are releasing volume 1 again.

Chicago The Blues Today

3 hours ago, Pim said:

8842-EAC3-6-AF2-41-E5-97-D3-A0-FE11-D191

Great music and some of the all time best musicians involved. 

But though I like a to smoke a cigarette myself  while having coffee or after dinner or after ...... (;) ) ........ I wouldn´t bite the filtru that way 

3 hours ago, Pim said:

C50-A1-B63-AB72-4-CF8-8147-C8-F6274-A818
with Reggie Workman, Michael Carvin and Stanley Cowell

Is this Cecil Bridgewater ? Who is the else ? The only Bridgewaters I saw live and admired were Cecil and Dee Dee....

19 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

But though I like a to smoke a cigarette myself  while having coffee or after dinner or after ...... (;) ) ........ I wouldn´t bite the filtru that way 

Is this Cecil Bridgewater ? Who is the else ? The only Bridgewaters I saw live and admired were Cecil and Dee Dee....

I quitted smoking 4 and a half years ago (not trying to convince you ;) ) but I never took the filter between my teeth either. Looks pretty could though....

It's his brother Ron Bridgewater. Not really impressed by his playing to be honest.

18 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Now on my 'table:

My5qcGVn.jpeg

Steve Kuhn / Sheila Jordan Band - Playground (ECM, 1980)

Gorgeous.

Not the typical BW photo of ECM: colors and human beings. Eichler was particularly happy the day he approved the cover.😁

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Cecil and his brother Ronnie (saxophonist).

8 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Ever hear "Glasses 'N Ashes 'N Bottles 'N Cans" from an early LP on Brunswick?

I haven't.  Should I look for it?

EDIT:
Coincidentally, that Brunswick LP is the source of the photo used on the MCA reissue.  It's a bit odd because none of the cuts on the Brunswick disc are on the MCA comp. 

MS02MTQwLnBuZw.jpeg

Another oddity: The image is reversed on the MCA reissue.

Edited by HutchFan

30 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I haven't.  Should I look for it?

It's a cute song, about a couple cleaning up after a party.  Worth seeking out if you can find it.  I think the entire album is on YouTube.

Here is the album.  It is the next-to-last track.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

25 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

It's a cute song, about a couple cleaning up after a party.  Worth seeking out if you can find it.  I think the entire album is on YouTube.

Here is the album.  It is the next-to-last track.

Very nice.  Thanks!

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

It´s possible that Jackie Cain and Roy Kral were not as well known in Austria....
I have read about them as being part of Charlie Ventura´s "Bop for the People" project. Is that true ? 

Yes they are members of the Charlie Ventura unit in a very early live concert  1949 at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium which appeared in 2 parts on 2 different labels (GNP & MCA)

Have both and  they are phantastic with that Ventura group. Recommend  both very much.

Bild-Url: https://up.picr.de/43257925st.jpg

Bild-Url: https://up.picr.de/43257924za.jpg

Bild-Url: https://up.picr.de/43247185bz.jpg

19 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

Yes they are members of the Charlie Ventura unit in a very early live concert  1949 at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium which appeared in 2 parts on 2 different labels (GNP & MCA)

Have both and  they are phantastic with that Ventura group. Recommend  both very much.

Bild-Url: https://up.picr.de/43257925st.jpg

Bild-Url: https://up.picr.de/43257924za.jpg

Bild-Url: https://up.picr.de/43247185bz.jpg

Yes, that´s it. In books about jazz in the 40´s like Ira Gitler´s book and others, the "Bop for the people" wasn´t mentioned very much. See, for dudes from Europe who were born after the 40´s , we didn´t know very much about groups that may have had a short time fame, but nevertheless the "Bop for the People" is something I had heard about. And that tune "High on an Open Mike" was for eternity through the 1947 "Saturday Night Jazz Session" which we all bought in the 70´s mostly for the participation of Fats Navarro. 
I remember my English was very weak and depended on my understanding of the liner notes. But the title "High on an Open Mike" was ununderstandable for me then. "Mike" was the english name for "Mihail" or "Michael" how I knew it and I translated it in "Hoch auf einem offenen Michael" (I think only Google-Translate can do worse:lol:), but it is an interesting Ventura original with some "swing to bop" elements. The A part is based on "If I had You" and the bridge is a descending chord thing, very very nice to play really......
Benny Green is really cool, but I think on that WNEW Saturday Night stuff it was Bill Harris on tb, who sounds more old fashioned for our understanding, a bit more Dixieland style if I´m right. 

9 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Yes, that´s it. In books about jazz in the 40´s like Ira Gitler´s book and others, the "Bop for the people" wasn´t mentioned very much. See, for dudes from Europe who were born after the 40´s , we didn´t know very much about groups that may have had a short time fame, but nevertheless the "Bop for the People" is something I had heard about. And that tune "High on an Open Mike" was for eternity through the 1947 "Saturday Night Jazz Session" which we all bought in the 70´s mostly for the participation of Fats Navarro. 
I remember my English was very weak and depended on my understanding of the liner notes. But the title "High on an Open Mike" was ununderstandable for me then. "Mike" was the english name for "Mihail" or "Michael" how I knew it and I translated it in "Hoch auf einem offenen Michael" (I think only Google-Translate can do worse:lol:), but it is an interesting Ventura original with some "swing to bop" elements. The A part is based on "If I had You" and the bridge is a descending chord thing, very very nice to play really......
Benny Green is really cool, but I think on that WNEW Saturday Night stuff it was Bill Harris on tb, who sounds more old fashioned for our understanding, a bit more Dixieland style if I´m right. 

Nice story about  remembering the  times gone!

Well my favorite song (can change however) is " I'm forever blowing bubbles". In fact the 2 vinyls are excelent from beginning to the end.