Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8499-F3-AA-F9-DE-44-B8-B73-A-26-C959-C00

All 8 in any order. The trio and the Webster are my favorites but the stuff with Buddy DeFranco, Roy Eldridge and Benny Carter are also incredible. Most give preference to his solo stuff but the group masterpieces always had mine. Tatum really was from another place.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Albums that would have fitted squarely within the label's output and if they had been released by SE would have a commensurate cult following/value

Oh yeah. Definitely.

I can only imagine how expensive a Roy Ayers record on Strata East would be.

Virgo Vibes is a Herbie Mann production. Ayers was one of his most popular band members and Mann produced all three of his Atlantic albums.

Trying to imagine Herbie Mann (or Roy Ayers) doing business with Strata-East (and vice-versa)...not having that imagination at this point?

Still, it's a mighty fine record, and a reminder that Atlantic was still wiling/able to make "that kind of record"...at least once. None of Ayer's other Atlantics had this kind of consistency.

Duke Ellington & John Coltrane (Impulse!). I picked up the latest LP from the Acoustic Sounds Series on Record Store Day as this is one of my favorite Coltrane records, not far behind "Blue Train". This new high end (and high priced) LP release, while very nicely done, doesn't seem to sound a whole lot better than my old analog 1997 cut by Ron McMaster. I think at this time I should formally stop "upgrading" any old LPs I already have on my shelf. My ears just can't hear much of a difference anymore. It should save me some money. :)

MTMtNzM3Ni5qcGVn.jpeg