Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, bresna said:

Duke Ellington & John Coltrane (Impulse!). I picked up the latest LP from the Acoustic Sounds Series on Record Store Day as this is one of my favorite Coltrane records, not far behind "Blue Train". This new high end (and high priced) LP release, while very nicely done, doesn't seem to sound a whole lot better than my old analog 1997 cut by Ron McMaster. I think at this time I should formally stop "upgrading" any old LPs I already have on my shelf. My ears just can't hear much of a difference anymore. It should save me some money. :)

MTMtNzM3Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

I hear you. That applies to the ‘Tone Poets’ as well and in general I have held off on those where I have Japanese or original pressings. The Hank ‘Curtain Call’ is tempting but as it is on the Mosaic, not worth the effort (unless someone advises otherwise :)).

47 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I hear you. That applies to the ‘Tone Poets’ as well and in general I have held off on those where I have Japanese or original pressings. The Hank ‘Curtain Call’ is tempting but as it is on the Mosaic, not worth the effort (unless someone advises otherwise :)).

Nowadays I go for used Japanese pressings, up to the early eighties. Never upgraded a BN record even the LT series that sometimes aren’t the last word in sound. As the new pressings only the very very very RARE titles are of interest or new discovered sessions.

50 minutes ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

Curtain Call

;)

A copy of said LP was intimidating me up on the overhead rack in the record store this afternoon so I capitulated.

3 hours ago, porcy62 said:

Nowadays I go for used Japanese pressings, up to the early eighties. Never upgraded a BN record even the LT series that sometimes aren’t the last word in sound. As the new pressings only the very very very RARE titles are of interest or new discovered sessions.

I think my ‘Mr Tanno’ collection will remain as the backbone of my Blue Notes as well as originals. Those Kings and Toshibas sound super-good on half-way decent decks, can’t go wrong.

Edited by sidewinder

11 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

;)

A copy of said LP was intimidating me up on the overhead rack in the record store this afternoon so I capitulated.

I think my ‘Mr Tanno’ collection will remain as the backbone of my Blue Notes as well as originals. Those Kings and Toshibas sound super-good on half-way decent decks, can’t go wrong.

Definitely. Bought few of new issues I looked for a long time and I couldn’t find as Kings at decent price 

11 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Good time to buy them now as people offload various titles as they pick up Tone Poets !

Over here a tone poets is around 45 € in the shop. Not a bargain. Anyway  I think I have less then 10 BN’s In my wishlist and none of them are in the new reissues.

On the other I have dozens of verve, prestige, riverside ecc in the wishlist plus few mosaics so I keep myself busy :g

Records are a tough addiction.

Edited by porcy62

‘Curtain Call’ was about £32 at my local. Probably £ for $ compared to our US friends so no great bargain. First impressions on this one are very good though - it is big sounding. I’ll have to compare it against the Mosaic LP.

CS861212-01A-BIG.jpg

To be followed by this one. Also a TP - I have a (£2!) NY mono pressing of this one but the snap-crackle-and-pop can get obtrusive.

Edited by sidewinder

Too late

15 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

CS861212-01A-BIG.jpg

To be followed by this one. Also a TP - I have a (£2!) NY mono pressing of this one but the snap-crackle-and-pop can get obtrusive.

My copy is fine. Have “green street” little noisy but with mono cartridge sounds more then acceptable 

9 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

Too late

My copy is fine. Have “green street” little noisy but with mono cartridge sounds more then acceptable 

Yeah, I have a mono ‘Green Street’ too and in pretty well archival quality. Won’t need a TP on that one !  (although I think it came out on MM so under Joe Harley rules it won’t be a TP I guess).

The £2 ‘Latin Bit’ was in a clearance bin from years ago and they also had a trashed £2 Mobley ‘No Room For..’ which I passed on and should have got just for the cover. The same store had a mono NY ‘Out For Lunch’ on the wall for £10 which I snagged. :)

Edited by sidewinder

4 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Yeah, I have a mono ‘Green Street’ too and in pretty well archival quality. Won’t need a TP on that one !  (although I think it came out on MM so under Joe Harley rules it won’t be a TP I guess).

That rule means Pearson’s Wahoo is lost forever? My most elusive BN. But it might well be less luxurious reissue in the next future?

Edited by porcy62

4 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

That rule means Pearson’s Wahoo is lost forever? My most elusive BN

I think on that interview he did with the German collector guy (on YouTube) it was mentioned that they don’t duplicate between the series. I agree - ‘Wahoo’ would make an excellent TP.

Yes, I guess it could come out on the ‘80th’ series. Failing that, there is always the Pathe Marconi issue, which I recall being not too bad..

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

;)

IN 2022, who receives the royalty money from Hanks compositions, for this new release?

12 hours ago, porcy62 said:

Over here a tone poets is around 45 € in the shop. Not a bargain. Anyway  I think I have less then 10 BN’s In my wishlist and none of them are in the new reissues.

On the other I have dozens of verve, prestige, riverside ecc in the wishlist plus few mosaics so I keep myself busy :g

Records are a tough addiction.

Yep 👹 ....

20 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I think on that interview he did with the German collector guy (on YouTube) it was mentioned that they don’t duplicate between the series. I agree - ‘Wahoo’ would make an excellent TP.

Yes, I guess it could come out on the ‘80th’ series. Failing that, there is always the Pathe Marconi issue, which I recall being not too bad..

At this very moment there are no acceptable options on discogs about Wahoo.

A liberty on eBay. Will bid but not high

Edited by porcy62