• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MTMtMTYyMi5qcGVn.jpeg

Buddy Colette - Nice Day With [Disque Vogue/Contemporary, France 1957]

and next, by way of some contrast

NjgtNDQyMS5qcGVn.jpeg

Peter Brotzmann/Milford Graves/William Parker - Historic Music Past Tense Future [Black Editions Archive, 2022]

Edited by mjazzg

41 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Still not a fan?

You have a better memory than me :) I have been having a really nice day with Buddy, very much enjoying it. Wish he played a touch more flute on it.  So which one do I listen to next?

26 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

You have a better memory than me :) I have been having a really nice day with Buddy, very much enjoying it. Wish he played a touch more flute on it.  So which one do I listen to next?

Nice Day's my favourite, but Man of Many Parts probably comes second.

8 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I had the honor of interviewing the man while compiling

41idjXqpLAL.jpg

He was charming.

Now on my 'table:

51mSXQxpG+L._SY555_.jpg

Carmen McRae / Dave Brubeck - Take Five: Recorded Live at Basin Street East (Columbia, rec. 1961)

My version of this LP is the Columbia Special Products "Collectors' Series" reissue with the generic cover shown above.

Thankfully, the music is anything but generic.  :) 

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

cecil-taylor-and-buell-neidlinger-the-co

Whilst opening up this set I re-discovered an old Sun Ra programme, Northeastern University 1990, which I thought I had lost. Four trumpets in the lineup !

Ages I don't play this one. Admit I am not a huge fan of Cecil.

Now spinnin':

Mi03NjE1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Image%207.png

The 5LP set - impressive looking package. Need to take care with the volume not to annoy neighbours tonight. :D

7 hours ago, porcy62 said:

Ages I don't play this one. Admit I am not a huge fan of Cecil.

I find the early stuff such as the material in this Mosaic Candid set as well as the UA stuff and ‘Into The Hot’ side B to be sort of a ‘friendly’ introduction to Cecil. His later stuff I’ve found intimidating but seeing him in person a few times made much more sense of it. Two solo recitals at Jazz Bakery, Culver City we’re particularly memorable (and I even dug the poetry).

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

BTW where do you search a record out of place, I've just lost a Red Garland Trio, that was supposed to be with the others Garland Trios...

edit: found it in Mal Waldron section, pretty easy my unconscious associations: Piano Coltrane Prestige:) 

edit edit I cancelled my consideration about Cecil by mistake typing on my phone instead of pc

I had and always had a problem listening “avant-garde “ musicians on records. I loved and love them live, but at home? I guess too much distractions. I mean I lost the directions  of the music in a zoom.

Edited by porcy62

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Did Buddy Collette have a Kindle that soon before the rest of us?

Dont know but as a West Coast Jazz collector I liked his music and Contemporary is one of my favorite labels.

Missed "A nice day" however and have to look it up at Discogs.

Edited by jazzcorner