Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NjItMTY3Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

Really liking this one, Pepper Adams really on form. Good article on ‘Room at the Top’ by Marc Myers on his blog. Must have walked past it at the UofA campus but don’t recall ever going in and can’t recall any jazz gigs there.

The Tommy Banks Trio couldn’t have done a better job !

Hopefully Marc Vasey’s tape archive results in more gems like this.

Edited by sidewinder

Now on my 'table:

R-3107100-1453417539-9750.jpeg.jpg

Various Artists - Singin' the Blues: A Treasury of Great Jazz Singers of the 1930s, '40s, and '50s (MCA, 2 LPs, rel. 1974)
Selections previously released on the Decca & Coral labels; issued as part of the "Leonard Feather Series"

Edited by HutchFan

I'm listening to another V.A. compilation:

NS04NzA1LmpwZWc.jpeg

They All Played Bebop (Columbia)
LP sides 3 & 4

Excellent "leftovers" from the Henri Renaud-produced I Remember Bebop 2-LP set.  I bought this album primarily to hear the four cuts by Al Haig -- but there's also good stuff from Duke Jordan, Jimmy Rowles, John Lewis, and others 

F1-DDC31-D-8406-47-F0-A9-FB-4-E5-FE929-E
the new Acoustic Sounds edition. I think I heard a tick at 5:35 so will send it back immediately and file a complaint….. *Steve Hoffmann Board Mode off*

it sounds freakin great :) Not at all into male vocals but Hartman has one warm and deep voice. Not a Trane favorite but still: a great record.

18 minutes ago, Pim said:

F1-DDC31-D-8406-47-F0-A9-FB-4-E5-FE929-E
the new Acoustic Sounds edition. I think I heard a tick at 5:35 so will send it back immediately and file a complaint….. *Steve Hoffmann Board Mode off*

it sounds freakin great :) Not at all into male vocals but Hartman has one warm and deep voice. Not a Trane favorite but still: a great record.

I'm going to skip that one as I really like the sound of the SACD. Plus, as I've said elsewhere, my days of hearing a gnat fart from across the room are well behind me, so I doubt that I'd hear any difference between the two versions. :)

Now playing: David 'Fathead' Newman - Resurgence! (Muse). I picked this up in the recent sale. Sealed and yet still has a slight musty, basement-y smell - weird. I'm not really digging this one a lot. The recording sounds off, particularly on the piano. Oh well, you miss on some.

OS03MTc4LmpwZWc.jpeg

51 minutes ago, bresna said:

I'm going to skip that one as I really like the sound of the SACD. Plus, as I've said elsewhere, my days of hearing a gnat fart from across the room are well behind me, so I doubt that I'd hear any difference between the two versions. :)

Now playing: David 'Fathead' Newman - Resurgence! (Muse). I picked this up in the recent sale. Sealed and yet still has a slight musty, basement-y smell - weird. I'm not really digging this one a lot. The recording sounds off, particularly on the piano. Oh well, you miss on some.

OS03MTc4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Got that one too with moisture damage (is it cursed?) and not too fond about it either. You would expect more from a group like that.

20 hours ago, sidewinder said:

NjItMTY3Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

Really liking this one, Pepper Adams really on form. Good article on ‘Room at the Top’ by Marc Myers on his blog. Must have walked past it at the UofA campus but don’t recall ever going in and can’t recall any jazz gigs there.

The Tommy Banks Trio couldn’t have done a better job !

Hopefully Marc Vasey’s tape archive results in more gems like this.

Bought the CD version.

24 minutes ago, JSngry said:

That's a pretty underwhelming lineup...does it meet expectations?

Honestly, from my perspective, that line-up isn't "underwhelming."  I really like Claudio Roditi and Calvin Hill.  And I don't understand why Cecil Bridgewater comes in for so much stick.  Obviously, Max liked him.  

I dug the music -- especially the closing track (the title cut).  But it was only my first listen, so it's way too early for me to make any judgments. 

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Honestly, from my perspective, that line-up isn't "underwhelming."  I really like Claudio Roditi and Calvin Hill.  And I don't understand why Cecil Bridgewater comes in for so much stick.  Obviously, Max liked him.  

I dug the music -- especially the closing track (the title cut).  But it was only my first listen, so it's way too early for me to make any judgments. 

I haven´t heard the record, but it seems it has some spirit of Max Roach (as you mentioned him in context with Cecil Bridgewater). Well I like other trumpet players more, I never heard him in other context than the several times I saw him with Max Roach live. 
Calvin Hill..... I remember I heard Roach in 1978 with Reggie Workman, and one or two years later with Calvin Hill and thought, Workman had a better sound. I don´t know what pick-up he used but the bass had somehow an ugly sound then. Workman had a much warmer sound.