NzUtMTM3MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Doug Watkins - Soulnik [Prestige, Japan 1974]

MS5qcGVn.jpeg

Julius Hemphil Quartet - Flat-Out Jump Suite [Black Saint, Italy 1980]

and beforehand, this new acquisition. With thanks to @Rabshakeh showing the way

NDUtMjg4MS5qcGVn.jpeg

Buddy Collette - Man Of Many Parts [Contemporary/Vogue, UK 1958]

21 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Mal Waldron and Davide Friesen, Enccounters (Muse)

Image result for Mal Waldron david friedan encountersJohnny Lytle, Fast Hands (Muse)Image result for Johnny lytle fast hands museImage result for eric kloss doors muse

Eric Kloss, Doors (Muse)

Looks like I'm not the only one who bought some LPs from that last Tommy's Jazz sale. Have you found any of your records to have a musty smell? I've never had sealed records have that before this. It is very odd.

1 hour ago, bresna said:

Looks like I'm not the only one who bought some LPs from that last Tommy's Jazz sale. Have you found any of your records to have a musty smell? I've never had sealed records have that before this. It is very odd.

Not that I noticed but I also replaced the old paper sleeves.

I was quite happy with the order.

1 hour ago, bresna said:

No odors -- or any issues at all -- with mine.

10 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

No odors -- or any issues at all -- with mine.

Makes me wonder if it was just the mailer that somehow managed to affect these LPs? I figured that once I ripped off the cellophane, I'd be OK but even the LPs inside (of the 3 I opened) have had the same musty smell.

1 minute ago, bresna said:

Makes me wonder if it was just the mailer that somehow managed to affect these LPs? I figured that once I ripped off the cellophane, I'd be OK but even the LPs inside (of the 3 I opened) have had the same musty smell.

Very strange. 

Hopefully, the smell will disperse with time.  I know that's happened for me in the past -- a good airing resolves the issue. 

But I've never had any musty smells with a new LP before. 

On 10.5.2022 at 8:42 AM, Gheorghe said:

Re: Charlie Ventura early concerts

Yes, that´s it. In books about jazz in the 40´s like Ira Gitler´s book and others, the "Bop for the people" wasn´t mentioned very much. See, for dudes from Europe who were born after the 40´s , we didn´t know very much about groups that may have had a short time fame, but nevertheless the "Bop for the People" is something I had heard about. And that tune "High on an Open Mike" was for eternity through the 1947 "Saturday Night Jazz Session" which we all bought in the 70´s mostly for the participation of Fats Navarro. 
I remember my English was very weak and depended on my understanding of the liner notes. But the title "High on an Open Mike" was ununderstandable for me then. "Mike" was the english name for "Mihail" or "Michael" how I knew it and I translated it in "Hoch auf einem offenen Michael" (I think only Google-Translate can do worse:lol:), but it is an interesting Ventura original with some "swing to bop" elements. The A part is based on "If I had You" and the bridge is a descending chord thing, very very nice to play really......
Benny Green is really cool, but I think on that WNEW Saturday Night stuff it was Bill Harris on tb, who sounds more old fashioned for our understanding, a bit more Dixieland style if I´m right. 

Returning to our last discussions you did mention Bill Harris in the last sentence.

Here is another one with Bill Harris on a Columbia (UK edition) from a 1947, April 5 event. As it looks this is a compilation of 2 different parts  featuring also Mary Lou Williams (p)  and Majorie Hyams (vibes)  on two tracks.

42606260bl.jpg

42606262jo.jpg

Now spinning

18 hours ago, porcy62 said:

MC01Njk4LmpwZWc.jpeg

This one and the other one shown above  are great because the piano of Eddie Costa is really "something" with a great rhythmic playing in the  deeper piano  registers.

I am a great Tal Farlow fan and would say these two are among his best.

:D:tup

Edited by jazzcorner
text

36 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

This one and the other one shown above  are great because the piano of Eddie Costa is really "something" with a great rhythmic playing in the  deeper piano  registers.

I am a great Tal Farlow fan and would say these two are among his best.

:D:tup

Yep, that!