What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

20 hours ago, BillF said:

:tup

Just curious, looking at the OBI strip on top, CBS has rights to distribute Candid records?  Seriously, I don't know. 

21 hours ago, porcy62 said:

MS0xNjMyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Ignore that post above, I don't know how to delete it, but this what I meant to quote. Just curious, looking at the OBI strip on top, CBS has rights to distribute Candid records?  Seriously, I don't know. 

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Holy Ghost said:

Just curious, looking at the OBI strip on top, CBS has rights to distribute Candid records?  Seriously, I don't know. 

Ignore that post above, I don't know how to delete it, but this what I meant to quote. Just curious, looking at the OBI strip on top, CBS has rights to distribute Candid records?  Seriously, I don't know. 

Just click on "options" and delete then

Edited by jazzcorner

1 hour ago, Holy Ghost said:

Didn’t CBS in the US own that Barnaby label that put out Candid reissues in the 70s/80s ? If that Japan reissue is in the same timeframe, that would explain it.

10 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Didn’t CBS in the US own that Barnaby label that put out Candid reissues in the 70s/80s ? If that Japan reissue is in the same timeframe, that would explain it.

Barnaby was owned by Andy Williams. Williams bought the Cadence label (Candid was a sub) to gain control of his own recordings. Williams was then under contract to Columbia and made a distribution deal with them.

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Fascinating !

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Barnaby was owned by Andy Williams. Williams bought the Cadence label (Candid was a sub) to gain control of his own recordings. Williams was then under contract to Columbia and made a distribution deal with them.

Fascinating !

Fascinating !

On 5/26/2022 at 10:37 AM, BillF said:

Yeah, totally didn't see the connection. Thanks!

And at Jazzcorner, I'm really losing it, where is the options button???

5 minutes ago, Holy Ghost said:

Yeah, totally didn't see the connection. Thanks!

Nevermind...

Anywho, about those awesome Prestige records posted above, good stuff.

23 minutes ago, Holy Ghost said:

23 minutes ago, Holy Ghost said:

Nevermind...

Anywho, about those awesome Prestige records posted above, good stuff.

Well I see the following buttons after I have submitted something  (Quote - Edit - Options , then press Options and "Delete" apears so only the submitter cal also delete  his own sub)) - Here is an other of those (japanese) Prestige albums

43691763qh.jpg

43691765bg.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
more text explanation

Now on my 'table:

81IK2ZEwz1L._SS500_.jpg

I really dig this album.  VerPlanck's voice is the key.  Her pure, clear tone -- which comes across with a sort of sophisticated innocence -- works perfectly with Wilder's songs.  The cherry on top is Mel Lewis' drum work, which keeps the music swinging.

21 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Could be this one:

Miles Davis
[D1521-15]
Miles Davis And His Orchestra:
Miles Davis (tp) Mike Zwerin (tb) Junior Collins (fhr) Bill Barber (tu) Lee Konitz (as) Gerry Mulligan (bar,arr) John Lewis (p,arr) Al McKibbon (b) Max Roach (d) Kenny Hagood (vcl) Gil Evans (arr)
Broadcast "Royal Roost", New York, September 4, 1948
   Capitol CDP-594550 [CD]  

Nice, this is the pre-birth of cool, wonderful thing.

But I think when I mentioned a Miles-Lee Konitz collaboration also from the Roost 1948 it was a small group thing, Miles, Konitz, Lewis, Curley Russel and Max Roach playing a vintage bop set with stuff like 52nd Street Theme and maybe a ballad sung also by Kenny Hagood....
I friend of mine who died had it, the second side was a set from 1952 Miles with Jackie McLean.....

17 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Well I see the following buttons after I have submitted something  (Quote - Edit - Options , then press Options and "Delete" apears so only the submitter cal also delete  his own sub)) - Here is an other of those (japanese) Prestige albums

43691763qh.jpg

43691765bg.jpg

2 days ago at a jam session during intermission a trumpet player and myself talked about bop tunes to play and as we mentioned Miles (he had played the old "Milestones" (not the famous tune but the bop line from a Savoy session with Bird on Tenor, he mentioned that Miles sometimes stole compositions from others. I mentioned "Dig" which actually was an original by Jackie McLean called "Donna" and as you sure know, based on "Sweet Georgia Brown". 

On the other hand, when I was a teenie and first heard Miles´ "Walkin´" I was astonished that the composer was not Miles, but a Richard Carpenter (later I got to know the story behind that dubious deal", but then I thought who is this "Richard Carpenter" who wrote that tune. What does he play, with whom does he play......

I just finished spinning a recently acquired SRX LP from Music Matters Jazz of Art Blakey's "Free For All". From my now limited hearing ability, this LP doesn't sound a whole lot better than my old 70's era Van Gelder pressing. If anything, it seems like Kevin Gray pushed the trumpet & trombone further forward in the mix during Shorter's fiery solo on the title track, one of my favorite Jazz tracks. While their fills are prominent on the older LP & every CD version of this date, they aren't usually louder than Shorter.

I guess it's a good thing I got it in trade for other MMJ LPs, so the $$ were a wash. :)

MjItNTMzNC5wbmc.jpeg

On 5/27/2022 at 5:50 AM, Chuck Nessa said:

Barnaby was owned by Andy Williams. Williams bought the Cadence label (Candid was a sub) to gain control of his own recordings. Williams was then under contract toRight. And IIRC ( Columbia and made a distribution deal with them.

Right. And IIRC (though I often don't) the label was started by one Archie Bleyer who led the Arthur Godfrey band. 

Edited by medjuck

15 hours ago, bresna said:

I just finished spinning a recently acquired SRX LP from Music Matters Jazz of Art Blakey's "Free For All". From my now limited hearing ability, this LP doesn't sound a whole lot better than my old 70's era Van Gelder pressing. If anything, it seems like Kevin Gray pushed the trumpet & trombone further forward in the mix during Shorter's fiery solo on the title track, one of my favorite Jazz tracks. While their fills are prominent on the older LP & every CD version of this date, they aren't usually louder than Shorter.

I guess it's a good thing I got it in trade for other MMJ LPs, so the $$ were a wash. :)

MjItNTMzNC5wbmc.jpeg

15 hours ago, BillF said:

ON CD ( and I think  RVG got the remastering right) but this is some of the most INTENSNSE music released by BN. Period.