Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Jon King said:

One of those days.  The blues are in order. so I'm listening to Mr. Witherspoon:

Jimmy Witherspoon sings the blues, Black and Blue, July '79 (France)

PS: Due to a lack of tech savvy, I'm blue trying to illustrate this post.

please reply w how to for my limited set-up.  A bajillion thanks.  

Set-up: in this post, I tried to screenshot album, front & back, and then

transfer SOMEHOW FROM IPHONE to this forum on my LAPTOP.

I know it's pathetically unhip. It's also the reason I have so much free 

time.

BTW;  I tried Apple Music (on my IPhone) and AllMusic for art, but this

album is as nonexistent as the golden fleece.  jk

OS00MDU5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Select image of size about 600x600 from Google images. Copy image address. Click on insert other media. Insert image from URL.

23 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

We had the Woody Herman big band with a private guest concert in our jazzclub in Koblenz, Germany in the late 1970ies.

Also met him personally and talked a bit (when my hair & mustache werent grey)

43855876jz.jpg

Great photo, yes those were the days, wonderful time then.....

Yesterday before shutting down the system I spun two Lateef LPs as I had realized that I had been neglecting his work this year.

"The Centaur and the Phoenix" Riverside. This one is mostly a great Ellington burger with some Mingus special sauce spread over some of it. Fascinating record I can listen to over and over.

MjktMjkzOS5qcGVn.jpeg

"Into Something" New Jazz

This one is just a great quartet date with three great supporting artists. Barry Harris is excellent here on the tracks he participates. Wonderful solos, great control of the tempo and mood. Elvin is of course. . . propulsive and commanding attention. And Herman Wright is just so perfect for this group in tone and swing. 

Ny01MjM3LmpwZWc.jpeg

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Yesterday before shutting down the system I spun two Lateef LPs as I had realized that I had been neglecting his work this year.

"The Centaur and the Phoenix" Riverside. This one is mostly a great Ellington burger with some Mingus special sauce spread over some of it. Fascinating record I can listen to over and over.

MjktMjkzOS5qcGVn.jpeg

"Into Something" New Jazz

This one is just a great quartet date with three great supporting artists. Barry Harris is excellent here on the tracks he participates. Wonderful solos, great control of the tempo and mood. Elvin is of course. . . propulsive and commanding attention. And Herman Wright is just so perfect for this group in tone and swing. 

Ny01MjM3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Two winners there

Edited by mjazzg

On 6/20/2022 at 11:09 AM, sidewinder said:

My ‘local’ had 3 copies. Same with the Miles and Blakey. Unprecedented !

The Hubbard concert is available in video on YouTube but it is nice to listen to it in good sound.

Dustygroove has come through for me with a copy of the Freddie Hubbard.

Edited by kh1958

On 22.6.2022 at 10:06 AM, BillF said:

OS00MDU5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Select image of size about 600x600 from Google images. Copy image address. Click on insert other media. Insert image from URL.

I saw Jimmy Witherspoon once in 1985 and it was a most interesting group, it also had Dee Dee Bridgewater , on piano was the Germany born but live long parisian pianist Siegfried Kessler, who played and toured and recorded a lot with Archie Shepp, on bass I think was Dexter´s bassist David Eubanks, too bad I don´t remember who was on drums. I´m not necessarly a vocal jazz fan, but this was really really great, and it really had a great trio who acompanied Dee Dee and "Spoon".... 

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I saw Jimmy Witherspoon once in 1985 and it was a most interesting group, it also had Dee Dee Bridgewater , on piano was the Germany born but live long parisian pianist Siegfried Kessler, who played and toured and recorded a lot with Archie Shepp, on bass I think was Dexter´s bassist David Eubanks, too bad I don´t remember who was on drums. I´m not necessarly a vocal jazz fan, but this was really really great, and it really had a great trio who acompanied Dee Dee and "Spoon".... 

I also saw Spoon, but in the 60s. It was in a jazz pub in Leeds called the Peel Hotel.

I did quite well for classic male jazz vocalists. I saw Joe Turner (in a blues package), Jimmy Rushing (with the Humphrey Lyttelton band) and Joe Williams (with Basie).

I also saw Mark Murphy (at Ronnie Scott's), though of course he was a very different sort of vocalist. :)

29 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Primary

Tumo Mogorosi - Project Elo [Jazzman, UK 2014]

Primary

Spaza - Uprise! (Music from the Original Motion Picture) [Mushroom Half Hour, South Africa 2020]

I don't know these two. They look interesting.

On 6/24/2022 at 3:49 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

My03Njg0LmpwZWc.jpeg

Record 2.

I had not heard of the group Detail, or this enhanced version. They appear to have a number of records. Are there any that anyone particularly recommends?

1 minute ago, Rabshakeh said:

I don't know these two. They look interesting.

Both are definitely interesting, both from SA as you've probably guessed. Mogorosi has an imminent release on Mushroom Half Hour which I predict will make some noise, both albums feature a choir, a bit 'Lift Every Voice' but not really. Works for me

Spaza are a collective (isn't everyone these days) and their first self-titled is worth tracking down. Uprise! has lots of clips of dialogue and interviews interspersed with the music, from the film I guess. All about the anti-apartheid struggle in SA.

Mushroom Half Hour is a label worth keeping an eye on for contemporary SA Jazz

1 minute ago, mjazzg said:

Both are definitely interesting, both from SA as you've probably guessed. Mogorosi has an imminent release on Mushroom Half Hour which I predict will make some noise, both albums feature a choir, a bit 'Lift Every Voice' but not really. Works for me

Spaza are a collective (isn't everyone these days) and their first self-titled is worth tracking down. Uprise! has lots of clips of dialogue and interviews interspersed with the music, from the film I guess. All about the anti-apartheid struggle in SA.

Mushroom Half Hour is a label worth keeping an eye on for contemporary SA Jazz

Thanks!

Julius Watkins Sextet ‎– New Faces – New Sounds (Toshiba)
The Jazz School featuring Clark Terry, Paul Gonsalves, Joe Gordon, Art Mardigan (Wing Australia)
Charlie Mariano – Alto Sax... For Young Moderns (Bethlehem US)
Gene Norman presents Frank Morgan (Vogue UK)
Sam Jones Quintet – Visitation (SteepleChase)
Dinah Washington – Dinah! (Fontana UK)

Good
Afternoon
!