Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, sidewinder said:

Yes, it is good. I wonder if this is one of the ones where the tape was damaged by the hurricane?

I was sort of surprised that Elemental didn't reissue it as part of the Xanadu Master Edition series.  Damaged/destroyed tapes may well have been the cause.  But I don't know.

57 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I was sort of surprised that Elemental didn't reissue it as part of the Xanadu Master Edition series.  Damaged/destroyed tapes may well have been the cause.  But I don't know.

Could well be. I think there were only 25 or so in that series, maybe that’s all that survived in recoverable condition? Sad, in any case as this was a fine label endeavour by Schlitten.

At least Rowles’ ‘Heavy Love’ with Al Cohn got a CD reissue in that Master Edition.

Edited by sidewinder

91K9xXQVc-L._SL600_.jpg

Dollar Brand / Abdullah Ibrahim - Blues for a Hip King: The African Recordings (Kaz Records, rel. 1989)
Compilation of recordings made in 1974, 1976, and 1979

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

At least Rowles’ ‘Heavy Love’ with Al Cohn got a CD reissue in that Master Edition.

True.  :tup 

Edited by HutchFan

7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

How’s this one? (Other than the excellent cover photo)

Excellent. Quiet but intensely focused.

7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

What a great record this is

Yes !!!  I just picked it up a few weeks ago, and it is knocking me out!

I definitely would have included it in my 80s jazz survey, if I would've been familiar with it when I was making my selections.  I've only heard it a few times so far, and it's already become a favorite.

12 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I just picked it up a few weeks ago, and it is knocking me out!

I definitely would have included it in my 80s jazz survey, if I would've been familiar with it when I was making my selections.  I've only heard it a few times so far, and it's already become a favorite.

I found it a couple of years ago when I was first exploring 80s jazz, probably off a list on Amazon or RYM or something. It's a favourite.