• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Next up:

MS05MzQ2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Lorez Alexandria - How Will I Remember You? (Discovery, 1978)
with Gildo Mahones (p, el-p, arr), Charles Owens (fl, ob), Grant Geisman (g), Allen Jackson (b, el-b), and Jimmie Smith (d)

Here's something that I've only discovered this year: Lorez Alexandria is an amazing singer -- and this is a terrific album.  

8 minutes ago, JSngry said:

"how will I remember you" is a very good song. Not sure if I've heard it done by anybody other than Rosemary Clooney/Nelson Riddle? 

If you'd like to hear Lorez's version, click here and advance the video to the 2:40 mark.  

Then advance to 33:02 and listen to her version of "Baltimore Oriole."  Gildo Mahones' funky arrangement is TUFF. 

That version is very Lorez-y. I have to be in the mood for Lorez...who else has done this song? .

I'm really curious to hear it done in a square "sheet music" type version, if there is one. It's hardly a "normal" structure for a pop song, so I wonder how that would work. Or if that would work. 

But you know the Clooney/Rddle version, right? On Love

Some of the other songs on that record are equally... obscure. The one that immediately comes to mind is "Yours Sincerely"... Rodgers/Hart, but apart from an instrumental version by Rodgers himself...who else did it? 

Anyway, that album has what are for me the "ultimate" version of almost every song on there. Almost including "Invitation", and if you limit it to just vocal versions, that one too 

Intricacy and pain and nakedness all at once. Rare in any medium, much less pop music. 

31 minutes ago, JSngry said:

But you know the Clooney/Rddle version, right? On Love

I don't think so.

IIRC, the only Rosemary Clooney album in my collection is her duo record with Ellington.

I'll look for it.  Thx for the heads-up.  :tup

EDIT

Adding this:

EDIT No. 2

When I was Googling to find this cut, I learned that Clooney & Riddle were having an affair when they made this record. 

Another layer to this particular onion.

EDIT No. 3

You weren't lying.  That's some hypnotic and cinematic singing and arranging.  The best sort of old-fashioned pop music.

I suppose I should get this record, eh?

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Primary

Erich Kleinschuster 6tet - ORF 1968-69, feat. Clifford Jordan, Charles Tolliver {WallenBink, UK 2022]

first listen to the Jordan, sound is superb as is production quality of the sleeve.  Music shines, Jordan in full effect

My bundle of these doubles has just arrived in the mail - amazingly fast. Will be spinning once the working day is over.