Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, bresna said:

I picked up "Mess Of Blues" a few years back and I didn't like it much at all, mainly due to the poor audio. I'm also not much of a fan of Wild Bill's style of organ playing.

To each his own. Always liked Wild Bill (he's wonderful on Ellington's New Orleans Suite). My favorites among the Verves were the albums with Earl Hines.

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

What is on sides 4-10 ? 

Side 4: Part of the Amazing Bud Powell, volume 2 (Glass Enclosure) (1504). Trio with George Duvivier and Art Taylor. 1953 

Side 5-6: Bud! The Amazing Bud Powell, volume 3 (Blue Pearl; Bud on Bach) (81572) Trio with Paul Chambers and Taylor. 1957, plus Curtis Fuller on three tracks.

Sides 7-8 : Time Waits (81598) Trio with Sam Jones and Philly Joe Jones. 1958

Sides 9-10: The Scene Changes (84009). Trio with Chambers and Taytlor. 1958

Edited by kh1958

16 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Side 4: Part of the Amazing Bud Powell, volume 2 (Glass Enclosure) (1504). Trio with George Duvivier and Art Taylor. 1953 

Side 5-6: Bud! The Amazing Bud Powell, volume 3 (Blue Pearl; Bud on Bach) (81572) Trio with Paul Chambers and Taylor. 1957, plus Curtis Fuller on three tracks.

Sides 7-8 : Time Waits (81598) Trio with Sam Jones and Philly Joe Jones. 1958

Sides 9-10: The Scene Changes (84009). Trio with Chambers and Taytlor. 1958

Ah thank you !   As I said, I must have somewhere the individual LPs, I "studied" them during that time I was starting to play. 

As I remember the most spinning here got the quintet sides with Fats and Sonny since those things "Bouncing with Bud" "Dance of the Infidels" "Wail" and of course "52´nd Street Theme" as set closer still are played and I think at least one of the tunes will be included in one of our next concerts. 

I remember the less spinning got Vol. 2, somehow it never really reached me. Glass Enclosure might be interesting as a link to classical music, and one tune sounds like a fugue or how you call that. Somehow it´s "in the Mood for a Classic"..... the whole LP.....

On Vol. 3 I remember only the Curtis Fuller side, I think we did "Idaho" once with Allan Praskin. Nice blowing vehicle and great stride by Bud. 

The "Time Waits" was a favourite of Allan. He´d listen to it on headphones travelling to Viena and  we´d play  "Monopoly" and "John´s Abbey" at the gig. And I think it is the best trio album because it has Philly Joe Jones. 

The last one I think was not so great, somehow monotony with most tunes in minor and medium swing, and I think they never appeared elsewhere. And very dull brushwork by A.T. he could do much better than that. 

11 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Earlier this evening, prompted by OP talk on another thread:

OS05NzY5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Oscar Peterson with Joe Pass & NHØP - The Paris Concert: Salle Pleyel, 1978 
I dig this set. 

I must have seen this setting in 1978 , I think one high school mate took me to it since he was a big Peterson fan, which I definitly not was in 1978, where at the tame age of 19 years I found it hopless "square". Well, it swung and at the insistent looks of the boy who had took me to that event maybe I said with a forced smile "okay yeah, he is so good, he can play" but I thought if it must be Peterson, than at least a regular trio with drums. 
Well it was a good successful combination but I can hear to the original, to the Art Tatum Group Masterpieces with Slam Steward and Tiny Grimes or whatever.....

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

@Pim -- Two doozies!  :tup

I’ve always had a feeling that if we might ever cross paths, get snowed in in some Austrian mountain hut with a huge jazz collection at our disposal, we wouldn’t really have to fight about what to play ;)

3 hours ago, Pim said:

I’ve always had a feeling that if we might ever cross paths, get snowed in in some Austrian mountain hut with a huge jazz collection at our disposal, we wouldn’t really have to fight about what to play ;)

Austrian mountain hut full of jazz records with Pim?  Yeah man, bring it on !!!  :D  

8 hours ago, Pim said:

6-E50-C727-44-E0-4666-93-E9-D1-E47-ABA07

not a huge Jarrett fan but this remains an outstanding record. Also quite a lot trough the contributions by Redman, Haden and Motian. 

This group's records are all good. My personal, perhaps subjective, fav is Fort Yawuh.

8 hours ago, Pim said:

672906-EC-C3-FB-429-C-BD7-A-2-DF327-E517

Theres really nothing like coming out of a busy day at work, taking a nice Belgian blonde beer and spin a record like this. No better medicine against a busy mind than Paul Desmond playing his alto saxophone.

I love this record. Shame about the back cover.

Where do you spin these? What room are we seeing here? I think you have a kid just a little younger than mine (2+4 in my case). All my vinyl records are spun only en famille. I am finding that as they get older I am increasingly having to accept they that they have stronger views on what they'll listen to.

Edited by Rabshakeh

11 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

This group's records are all good. My personal, perhaps subjective, fav is Fort Yawuh.

I love this record. Shame about the back cover.

Where do you spin these? What room are we seeing here? I think you have a kid just a little younger than mine (2+4 in my case). All my vinyl records are spun only en famille. I am finding that as they get older I am increasingly having to accept they that they have stronger views on what they'll listen to.

8-E9141-B9-F2-C0-4-FD4-84-A7-B2440-D1-FB

98-F74878-64-D5-4-D1-A-823-C-38-E2962393
It’s my ‘music room’. Very small but there’s no place I’d rather be after a busy day. Still can’t believe my wife agreed with it but won’t give it up anymore now :P all my records and my vinyl player are safe here in this room. I wouldn’t dare to keep them downstairs because of my two sons with their greedy hands… they are 3 and 1 years old and especially the youngest is of great danger for all my precious stuff…. When I am a single moment out of the room he gets his hands on my cd’s to ‘play with them’. :wacko:

Downstairs I still play a lot of jazz. My boys don’t really respond to it in a negative nor positive way. It’s mostly the wife who complains about this terrible loud unstructured madness I dare to play. But I am the one who gets up early with the kids and then it’s time for some jazz!

4 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Can I gatecrash?

You drink scotch, Belgian craft beers, wine or water? ;)

1 hour ago, Pim said:

8-E9141-B9-F2-C0-4-FD4-84-A7-B2440-D1-FB

98-F74878-64-D5-4-D1-A-823-C-38-E2962393
It’s my ‘music room’. Very small but there’s no place I’d rather be after a busy day. Still can’t believe my wife agreed with it but won’t give it up anymore now :P all my records and my vinyl player are safe here in this room. I wouldn’t dare to keep them downstairs because of my two sons with their greedy hands… they are 3 and 1 years old and especially the youngest is of great danger for all my precious stuff…. When I am a single moment out of the room he gets his hands on my cd’s to ‘play with them’. :wacko:

Downstairs I still play a lot of jazz. My boys don’t really respond to it in a negative nor positive way. It’s mostly the wife who complains about this terrible loud unstructured madness I dare to play. But I am the one who gets up early with the kids and then it’s time for some jazz!

You drink scotch, Belgian craft beers, wine or water? ;)

Not the first but definitely the last three. I can bring some UK craft ales along too