Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 20/09/2022 at 7:20 AM, Rabshakeh said:

I was wondering recently whether that’s the end of this project. Sorey seems to be moving back into the jazz world recently. (Unless I’ve missed anything.)

Was there talk of Pillars going beyond the original set of releases? I didn't realise that.

Certainly his two most recent releases are back to Jazz but this was post-Pillars I think and it's not Jazz 

https://www.discogs.com/release/20291815-Tyshawn-Sorey-Alarm-Will-Sound-For-George-Lewis-Autoschediasms 

I suspect he'll continue to cross and blur boundaries 

Edited by mjazzg

8 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Was there talk of Pillars going beyond the original set of releases? I didn't realise that.

Certainly his two most recent releases are back to Jazz but this was post-Pillars I think and it's not Jazz 

https://www.discogs.com/release/20291815-Tyshawn-Sorey-Alarm-Will-Sound-For-George-Lewis-Autoschediasms 

I suspect he'll continue to cross and blue boundaries 

I might be confusing it with the Nate Woolley records from the same time.

5 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Anything particular (even trivial details) to share? It's always thrilling to imagine how things were at the scene back then.

I don't remember Harold as a flautist. He was usually on alto, as I recall.

But the Jamaican altoist I best remember was Joe Harriott with whom I had interesting conversations in Leeds and Manchester. He told me he'd never seen Bird live - "Jus' the records, man"- but that he had seen Bud Powell - in Paris at the Blue Note.

Edited by BillF

12 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

wanted to hear something different

44402414yr.jpg

44402416tq.jpg

I think the sections featuring Bird are also on one of Bird´s Verve records "Fiesta" if I remember right. And "Mambo" and Tanga" is very fine on a "Spotlite" LP with some live Bird with Machito and very fine Howard McGhee-Brew More also, all of it from about the same time . 

10 hours ago, Jon King said:

What a cover for the Howard Rumsey album!  Best I’ve seen this year.  
You know the “theme” and execution thereof might be unheard of in a few weeks or so.  Praise to our ancestors who settled the West Coast jazz argument well ahead of the rest of us.  Anyone else thankful?

Like that comment very much

Playing the recent LP of Joe Lovano's "I'm All For You - Ballad Songbook". I wasn't going to get this because the CD sounds very nice but I wanted to hear what all the fuss was about when this came out. It is an analog recordings and Kevin Gray did a nice job with it. I don't think it beats the CD.

Sad to realize that Joe Lovano is the only one still with us.

Primary

On 24.9.2022 at 5:39 PM, Pim said:

BD945-B0-E-F45-E-4798-A5-F2-DF7-AC1-C104
R.I.P. mr Sanders

Yes, I remember when it came out and it was about the time when Sanders again started to play in a traditional tenor-piano-bass-drums formation doin also things from the past, similar to Archie Shepp, but of course into another direction. 

This tour de force "Dr. Pitt" or how it´s called was on most live shows I saw myself. 

I saw Pharoah about that time here in Austria and they also played some bop tune like "On a Misty Night" and some standard ballad with the trademark Pharoah Sanders outing..... Wonderful. Well, we must admit this was the time when some former pioneers of Free Jazz returned to straight ahead acoustic jazz. I´m sure if Trane would have survived, after world jazz into electric jazz trademarks he also would have done something with quartet again during a time when there was a comeback for acoustic jazz .....

On 23.9.2022 at 4:49 PM, Pim said:

3-AF494-D9-2005-4-B22-A355-6-FA1-B5-D8-B

I have to look out for a tune composed by Jaws that must be on some of those Griffin-Davis albums, I think if I remember well it is Db combined with Bb minor (which is similar with the same black keys) and I heard it on some two tenor stuff and might listen to it a few times to check the form of the song for my own purpose , I mean I had played with a two tenor thing this year but would have asked for that Lockjaw tune if I knew exactly how it goes. I don´t even remember the name of the tune....