• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 9/30/2022 at 1:27 PM, mjazzg said:

Only seen The Sea&Cake once but that was great

I think The Sea & Cake are better/more consistent live when it comes to that crew (5ive Style weren't around long enough). Seen them quite a few times as well. But Tortoise will always hold a special place... first few times I saw them knocked my socks clean off.

4 hours ago, Pim said:

5-AEC7-B08-0-B12-42-AC-81-A7-4-AC7-CB184

:tup

I remember gazing at that album with its striking image in a shop window in Chorlton, Manchester in 1959 when I was 19-year-old student. It was probably brand new. American music took a year or two to reach the UK in those days.:)

8 hours ago, BillF said:

:tup

I remember gazing at that album with its striking image in a shop window in Chorlton, Manchester in 1959 when I was 19-year-old student. It was probably brand new. American music took a year or two to reach the UK in those days.:)

Music must have been a lot harder to obtain those days. Do you still own all the records you bought back then Bill?

2 hours ago, Pim said:

Music must have been a lot harder to obtain those days. Do you still own all the records you bought back then Bill?

Of course, there was far less available in those days, but it didn't matter as records were very expensive. An LP cost about a third of a student's weekly income! A typical collection might have a dozen items in it, so of course, you got to know every note! That's why you would put up with bad radio reception to hear other jazz from the Voice of America or American Forces Network in Europe. (The BBC didn't like jazz and at one time had bans on both boogie woogie and bebop!)

No, I no longer own the records I bought back then. Keeping pace with the times in the last decade I've been using streaming. So my jazz listening career stretches from 78s to Spotify! :)

47 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

OS04NDk5LmpwZWc.jpeg

ECM pressing - remember this tour when it happened, with Elton Dean and Hugh Hopper in the band - and Gary Windo. 45 years ago !

Too early for me. I saw the Carla band 20 years later - with Lew Soloff, Gary Valente and Andy Sheppard.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Primary

Luis Garcia - For Those Who Chant [Blue Thumb Records, 1972]

This is great, Latin Miles meets Santana with Joe Henderson, what more could you ask for on a sunny Autumn day in London town. Thanks to @jazzbowhose post in another thread of this prompted my purchase

Also featuring the bass mastery of Stanley Clarke in the early 70's ....