• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been all over the map this weekend with my listening:

Anita O'Day- "Waiter, Make Mine Blues"

Procul Harum- "The Best of Procul Harum" (P.H.- one of my guilty pleasures)

"Gabor Szabo Live with Charles Lloyd"- I need to give this another listen. LLoyd is on flute.

The Band- "Stage Fright"

Carmell Jones- "Jay Hawk Talk" Bergenfield Prestige issue-great stuff, great sound.

Lee Morgan- "The Sidewinder"- a scratchy NY USA pressing.

Barney Kessel- "Easy Like Vol.I" (Contemporary C3511)

And my weekend favorite- Pete LaRoca- "Turkish Women at the bath"- a reissue on Douglas label; pretty good sound, great music!

Nothing guilty about Procul Harem. Love The Band too.

I'm listening to Ornette Coleman "Friends and Neighbors, live at prince st."

(French RCA label, re-issue, don't know date of re-issue; haven't ever compared this to the domestic sound-wise.)

dolphy is filling the air for the past week or so @ my place

Especially George Russell - Ezz-theticis (Dolphy performance on 'Round Midnight JUST BLOWS ME AWAY!!!)

and the

John Lewis - Jazz Abstractions just excellent even features Dolphy ofcourse and Coleman :excited:

Next week getting ready for some 10" double blue note west coast session, already planed it all out :P

I'm playing the new White Magic EP for the fifth time today. My friend Miggy is on drums so I bought it for that reason. And I was happy to see that they got signed to Drag City so I wanted to log a purchase to keep that going. As it turns out, I'm completely obsessed. It's like Cat Power without the...er...drama. And more interesting arrangements.

Anyone missing the good old days of the "Drag City sound" should pick this up. It's cheap. And you'll thank me later....

dc265.jpg

Edited by Brandon Burke

Albert Ayler - various

Lefty frizzell - complete (on Bear FAmily)

Ray Charles - various

Rolling Stones No. 2 - mono CD

Beatles - antho 1 & BBC on tape

Whadaya mean, I'm stuck in the past?!

(Oops, whoulda put this in the other 'what are you listening to' thread, but SOME of it is on vinyl, some other I own both ways)

Edited by danasgoodstuff

This morning's listening:

John Lewis & Hank Jones: An Evening with Two Grand Pianos (Little David) - listening to this, it sounded as if they truly enjoyed playing and recording together.

Lambert, Hendricks & Ross: Sing Ellington (Columbia Special Products)

Both of these sounded better than I had remembered them, and that always makes me happy.

paul secor  Posted on Jun 22 2004, 08:42 AM        Alonzo Yancey, Jimmy Yancey, Cripple Clarence Lofton: The Yancey-Lofton Sessions Vo. 1 (Storyville)

When I listen to Jimmy Yancey play a slow blues, I feel as if this is what the world would be like if it were perfect.

I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the post.

I'm listening to "Blue Hour" -- Stanley Turrentine with the Three Sounds.

paul secor  Posted on Jun 22 2004, 08:42 AM        Alonzo Yancey, Jimmy Yancey, Cripple Clarence Lofton: The Yancey-Lofton Sessions Vo. 1 (Storyville)

When I listen to Jimmy Yancey play a slow blues, I feel as if this is what the world would be like if it were perfect.

I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the post.

I'm listening to "Blue Hour" -- Stanley Turrentine with the Three Sounds.

I've got the "Blue Hour" LP on Affinity, sounds to me like simply a repackaged BN, pretty good sound really. Anyway, great mellow, bluesy feel to it.