• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got the "Blue Hour" LP on Affinity, sounds to me like simply a repackaged BN, pretty good sound really. Anyway, great mellow, bluesy feel to it.

I have two of those repackaged issues, although they are on the Applause label.

I'm listening to Dexter Gordon "Doin Allright" right now and it sounds great. I don't have another copy to compare it to, but I like this one.

The other is Lou Donaldson's "Lush Life." I like it better than my other vinyl copy, which is a 1986 DMM digitally remastered version (remastering by Ron McMaster).

I don't know when these were issued, because the only date on each of the Applause copies is the copyright date of the original recording, but it identifies Liberty Records as the copyright holder. The cover art is pretty bad, but not quite a 32 Jazz level of bad. On the Gordon it's just a bright yellow cover with the image of Dexter in the carriage cut out , and on the Donaldson it's a white background with a red-tinted black and white photo of Lou . Looks cheap, but inoffensive.

Edit: Both were gotten very cheap as I remember. The price sticker is still on the Donaldson and it was $4, and I remember picking up "Doin Allright" at a garage sale here in DC for $2.

Edited by ajf67

Roy Brooks "The Free Slave" (Muse Records 5003)

Live at Baltimore's Left Bank Jazz Society, 1970

Roy Brooks, drums

Woody Shaw, trumpet

George Coleman, tenor sax

Hugh Lawson, piano

Cecil McBee, bass

Great liner notes on this one by Gary Giddens too.

I've got the "Blue Hour" LP on Affinity, sounds to me like simply a repackaged BN, pretty good sound really. Anyway, great mellow, bluesy feel to it.

I have two of those repackaged issues, although they are on the Applause label.

I'm listening to Dexter Gordon "Doin Allright" right now and it sounds great. I don't have another copy to compare it to, but I like this one.

The other is Lou Donaldson's "Lush Life." I like it better than my other vinyl copy, which is a 1986 DMM digitally remastered version (remastering by Ron McMaster).

I don't know when these were issued, because the only date on each of the Applause copies is the copyright date of the original recording, but it identifies Liberty Records as the copyright holder. The cover art is pretty bad, but not quite a 32 Jazz level of bad. On the Gordon it's just a bright yellow cover with the image of Dexter in the carriage cut out , and on the Donaldson it's a white background with a red-tinted black and white photo of Lou . Looks cheap, but inoffensive.

Edit: Both were gotten very cheap as I remember. The price sticker is still on the Donaldson and it was $4, and I remember picking up "Doin Allright" at a garage sale here in DC for $2.

I have both of those on Applause. "Doin Allright" sounds especially good. These reissues usually can be had for $3-$5. Cover art is not so good, but these reissues can provide a good vinyl fix, when other pressings are beyond reach.

I have both of those on Applause. "Doin Allright" sounds especially good. These reissues usually can be had for $3-$5. Cover art is not so good, but these reissues can provide a good vinyl fix, when other pressings are beyond reach.

Yeah, I will pick up any of these that I see too. I don't see them that often though. I imagine they are exactly like the blue label re-issues. Great value.

Jimmy Smith - Live at the Village Gate 1963, on Metro [i wonder whether the rest of that gig was recorded. Jimmy is killin' on a couple of cuts here.]

Sweet. Haven't heard that one.

I got mine for like 3 or 4 bucks. They pop up. I think Metro was an offshoot of Verve, since Creed Taylor produced and Val Valentin recorded.

Val didn't catch Jimmy's B-3 sound all that well, there's some distortion that perhaps can be somehow corrected if this comes out on cd. LP is only 29 min. long.

A1.

I Got A Woman [Live]

8:00

Charles, Ray

A2.

Won't You Come Home, Bill Bailey? [Live]

6:00

Cannon, Hughie

B1.

The Champ [Live]

6:25

Gillespie, Dizzy

B2.

If I Were A Bell [Live]

8:45

Loesser, Frank

Harold Land - Take Aim (courtesy of our own Paul Secor). A nice date, better than I had expected.

Alan Eager - Renaissance (Uptown) - this was supposed to be his comeback album in 1982. To my ears he wasn't ready - he sounds very tentative, sometimes he seems at a loss for ideas, and other times he sounds like he can't quite get those ideas to come out of the horn. I've heard live recordings of his performances from that same period that are much much more satisfying.