Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today:

"Cirrus"- Bobby Hutcherson, with Woody Shaw. 2 of my favorites.

"Bownie Eyes"- Clifford Brown, with some terrific musicians, Gigi Gryce, Elmo Hope, Philliy Joe, Charlies Rouse, Percy Heath, Art Blakey, Lou Donaldson. I'm late getting to Clifford, but liking him more and more.

Joe Pass/Herb Ellis- "Two for the Road"

Spalding Givens and Charlie Mingus: Strings and Keys (Debut - an Italian bootleg that was issued in the '80s. Black Saint's logo is on the cover, though there's no other information.)

Does anyone else know something about this?

Debut Italy published several LPs with rare items from the Debut US catalogue. Series was called 'The Rarest on Debut'.

Had that Givens-Mingus LP which I stored away when the Mingus Complete Debut Recordings box came out.

The only Italian Debut I still have in a secure place is the Shafi Hadi Sextet LP that includes alternates from that great unit (Gene Shaw, Hadi, Pepper Adams, Wynton Kelly, Mingus - and/or some say Henry Grimes - and Dannie Richmond) which did not make it in the Complete Debut box.

Those releases came out in limited releases of 1,000. My Hadi LP bears nr. 335.

I'm hanging to that one. Only album that came out under Shafi Hadi's name.

Pete La Roca 'Basra' (BN mono original)

Lucky dog! :g

Eat your heart out! This was purchased directly from the BN offices on 61st Street when it came out.

Francis Wolff provided the copy. Should have asked him to autograph it ^_^

That's a great story about your "Basra" copy. I'd love to hear more about your visit(s) to BN's old offices, and what the scene was like at that time.

I'm watching an original Blue Note of Tina Brooks "True Blue" on ebay soar through $2,000 (£1,800 already) and still two days of the auction to go!

So I put my Mosaic of it on while I play free internet poker. Beautiful. God, I wish I could play like that.

That's a great story about your "Basra" copy. I'd love to hear more about your visit(s) to BN's old offices, and what the scene was like at that time.

The 61st Street place was the last real BN offices. Wish I had been in New York early enough to get a view of the Lexington Avenue and the 63rd Street locations.

Anyway went twice to New York in the mid-sixties. I was writing articles in French jazz reviews at the time and had made arrangements to pick up any BN LP I needed for $2,50 a copy.

Visited the offices - a pretty large office - a couple of times during my intial visit. As far as I remember, Lion and Wolff were the only ones around the place when I dropped there. Wolff was the one who received visitors.

Wish I had bought more of their releases then but I could not afford all the albums I wanted.

Got a number of the latest Shorter, Hutcherson, Dorham, McLean, Hill, Henderson albums and still get kicks out of them.

Lion was on the phone when I dropped in for the first time. Did not see him after that. Wolff was there all the time and taking care of business.

On my last visit in 1967, they had sold their business to Liberty. Lion was no longer there. I remember standing behind Roy Haynes who was trying to persuade Wolff to hand him a free copy of Horace Silver's 'Song For My Father' which had just come out. Wolff got tired with Haynes' insistence and gave in.

Thanks Brownie, great anecdote!

Your story made me think. BN has become the stuff of legend, but did people realize it at the time? Maybe even Lion and Wolff were not so sure, selling LPs straight from their office, trying to keep the business going, handling the day-to-day problems inherent in running any business. I wonder when a perception developed that BN was something well beyond the ordinary, that the label was establishing a new standard of performance and recording?

Anyway, it must have been nice to have touched that era personally.

Yes, lovely story. I would have given almost anything to get the chance to visit the 61st street office and pick up a sackload of the 'monos'.

With that in mind, I'm just throwing on the platter the mono Donald Byrd 'Cat Walk' (4075).

I wonder how that mono 'Basra' compares with the stereo version sonically?

Have yet to hear the stereo version of 'Basra'. Will wait until the RVG issue makes an appearance.

Leeway, when I was in highschool in Paris in the mid-fifties when the first BN 12inchers appeared, those albums were very rare since the label was not properly distributed in France for another decade. And those BNs were the ones that all up and coming jazz fans were looking for. Others (Prestige, Riverside, Contemporary, etc.) were fine but the BN ones - and the artists appearing on the label - had a unique mystic about them