• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Billy Holiday:LP#7 from the 10 LP box set, "Billie Holiday on Verve 1946-1959," Polydor Japan pressing. Great singing. Great playing. Excellent sound quality. BTW, maybe I missed them but I haven't noticed that many vocal LPs posted on this thread.

Lucky Thompson: "Lucky Thompson Plays Happy Days Are Here Again" Tommy Flanagan on piano. Prestige Bergenfield NJ pressing- but sonically unimpressive. Not one of Lucky's better LPs I think. Also, some of the worst liner notes- actually offensive.

Wes Montgomery: "The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery"- Orignal Riverside/Bill Grauer Production. Again, Tommy Flanagan on piano. Percy Heath on bass, Albert Heath, drums. Great sound, great playing all around.

Coleman Hawkins: "Coleman Hawkins Septet: Think Dee"- with Hank Jones and J.J. Johnson. Later Riverside pressing. Boooyeah!

Edison/ Davis: Jawbreakers

Kenny Drew Trio

Evans: Live at Shelly Manne's Hole

Evans: How My Heart Sings

All on the Riverside label prompted by the Riverside thread. The 'Public Domain' labels have got to be licking their chops over the early Riversides.

I've been on a bit of a Bill Dixon kick lately, so I've got on "Consequences," which has one side of his group with Ken McIntyre (alto), George Barrow (tenor), Howard Johnson (tuba), David Izenson and Hal Dodson (bass) and Howard McRae (drums) .

The music is heading "outward" but with an underlying swing that turns in parts into an African polyrythmic base underneath the horns. Very cool music. The recording quality is not so hot though.

From December, 1963. BYG Records.

Just started with some Sam Rivers: Paragon, a trio LP with Holland/Altschul. After that more Rivers: Contrasts (ECM), Rendez-Vous (an italian LP, Rivers/Holland/Altschul with Mario Schiano), Waves (Tomato), and the two Rivers/Holland Improvising Artists LPs... all good stuff!

ubu

Coleman Hawkins on Verve. I do not know the title as it is a Russian pressing and everything but song titles are in Russian. :o I'll have to do search to get title. First song is "I'll Never Be The Same".

Any other Russian pressings out there?

I have avoided those Russian (weren't they Soviet?) LPs like the plague. Those I have seen looked like they were made out of thin paper and bad vinyl. Have I been wrong?

I'm pretty sure that the LP you have is a copy (legal?) of the Verve album 'The Genius of Coleman Hawkins'. I have seen a couple of these LPs around here.

I never see them around here anymore. Have no idea if they were legal or not.

Thin paper(like modern British inports) and the vinyl on this one is ok. When I first bought it, it was a bit noisy. I have upgraded turntable, arm and cartridge since then and it was dead quiet with nice sound when I played it today.

Coleman Hawkins on Verve. I do not know the title as it is a Russian pressing and everything but song titles are in Russian. :o I'll have to do search to get title. First song is "I'll Never Be The Same".

Melodiya was the Soviet record label, State-run[as everything else].

The sound quality ranged from really bad to terrible. Lots of distortion, lots of surface noise, sucky vinyl.

Coleman Hawkins on Verve.  I do not know the title as it is a Russian pressing and everything but song titles are in Russian.  :o  I'll have to do search to get title.  First song is "I'll Never Be The Same".

Melodiya was the Soviet record label, State-run[as everything else].

The sound quality ranged from really bad to terrible. Lots of distortion, lots of surface noise, sucky vinyl.

Melodiya, that's it. I got lucky on this one as it sounds pretty damn good. When I use to play it on my old set-up the surface noise was pretty bad. With my fairly new Garrott Brothers P77 I have to strain to hear surface noise and Hawkins sounds great!!

I guess you lucked out on this one, man.

My father used to have hundreds of these Melodiya LPs, as there was not much of a choice in the old USSR, and I remember they sounded blah. Considering that our turntable was no picnic either, no surprise it sounds fine on your rig.

Angel licenced a lot of their classical stuff in the States, and those sound better than the original Melodiyas.

I bet yours doesn't have the original cover, but some kind of collage.

Haven't heard any of their LPs in years. I might still have some sitting at my parents house.

mine sounds like crap too...

Hey, that's it!! I just noticed, in the dead wax, "DMM", the dreaded 'direct metal master'. That may explain the sound being iffy.

To continue in a Hawkins vein, I'm playing Swingville 4001 "Things Ain't What They Used To Be". It's an original double Lp that combines TAWTUTB and "Years Ago".

Dvorak Cello Concerto/Piatigorsky/Munch/BSO

Rivers: Contours(too dark to see if it has 'ear' :D )

Donald Byrd: Royal Flush (too dark to see if it has 'ear' :D ) Love the trumpet/baritone contrasts...Hopr this doen't piss anyone off, but for a white boy Pepper Adams could find the groove.

Edited by wolff

mine sounds like crap too...

Hey, that's it!! I just noticed, in the dead wax, "DMM", the dreaded 'direct metal master'. That may explain the sound being iffy.

To continue in a Hawkins vein, I'm playing Swingville 4001 "Things Ain't What They Used To Be". It's an original double Lp that combines TAWTUTB and "Years Ago".

Dvorak Cello Concerto/Piatigorsky/Munch/BSO

Rivers: Contours(too dark to see if it has 'ear' :D )

Donald Byrd: Royal Flush (too dark to see if it has 'ear' :D ) Love the trumpet/baritone contrasts...Hopr this doen't piss anyone off, but for a white boy Pepper Adams could find the groove.

That's what they said about Dvorak too! :P

I'm lissena THE I LUH LUKEY STORAH by Deddi Arnizzle and his OinkESTbra. 1954 issue on the Bubbalewd label.

16 2/3 RPM yellow and green vinyl that starts in the middle of the disc, plays to the end, goes around to the other side, and starts over from the beginning w/o missing a beat. Amazing!

To top things off, there's a Red Robin-esque mirror thing you put on the spindle that plays a "movie" of Lukey $ Deddi slow-draggin' on unfiltered Kools. The planning it took to pull this off at 16 2/3 RPM is pretty mind bogglin', but everybody was smarter back then.

Foumd this puppy still sealed at a rummage sale at an AME chuch in a Lithuanian neighborhood in Bosier Cith, Louisiana last week. I figure it came from the Stan Lewis collection. Paid all of 18 5/16 cents for it (Louisiana sales tax is funny - for records, you're taxed by the RPM).

Love the vinyl!