Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wolff,

I can't compare the Speakers Corner reissue of Bach Suites For Unaccompanied Cello (Complete) to the original Mercury, but this reissue is yet another reason to revel in the glories of Vinyl. Everything about the set is first rate - sound, pressing quality, packaging (including a wonderful booklet with descriptions of the music, recording and an interview with Janos Starker), and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, the music.

I LOVE jazz music, and my deserted island with solar powered 2 channel stereo w/ a turntable would include plenty of Ellington, Monk, Miles, Sonny Rollins, Coltrane, Bill Evans, Art Farmer, Tommy Flanagan, Jimmy Giuffre, Warne Marsh, Lee Konitz, Ornette, Wayne Shorter, Steve Lacy, all the AACM cats, Julius Hemphill, Kenny Wheeler, Tomasz Stanko, Franz Koglmann and this 3 LP reissue of Bach Suites for Cello.

charles

Edited by charlesp

Lou Donaldson Sextet BN 5021 (Japanese 10")

Lou Donaldson BN 5055 (Japanese 10")

Thad Jones Mosaic...I love the re-mastering. I wish all re-issues of Blue Notes from this period sounded like this. Sounds much more natural and distortion free compared to others. Can't imagine it getting much better.

Joe Venuti and Zoot Sims(plays some soprano): Joe and Zoot (Chiaroscuro) My fisrt full LP of jazz violin. Nice music and above average pressing.

ajf67 Posted on Aug 19 2004, 07:15 PM

Do you guys know anything about this Starker or this one? I've never heard of Period Records.

Hello afj67,

I did a quick search over at the vinyl asylum and found the following thread on Period records.

Period Records Information From Vinyl Asylum

It seems like most recordings on Period Records weren't of the highest technical quality. However, that being said it sounds like anything by Janos Starker on this label is worth getting.

Currently listening to Bill Evans Trio: Bill Evans at Town Hall...Volume One

Alejandro

Edited by alejo

The Mosaic - Johnny Hodges '51-56 set is sublime !

I have been listening to Mal Waldron & Jim Pepper - Art of the Duo - Tutu

and Count Basie - Best of Count Basie on Decca, a wonderful 2 lp set of the 1937-39 Band. I think "best of" sets can work for 78-era recordings - I am a big fan of the Time-Life 3 lp silver box set compilations of pre-bop jazz from the late 1970s.

Edited by charlesp

ajf67 Posted on Aug 19 2004, 07:15 PM

Do you guys know anything about this Starker or this one? I've never heard of Period Records.

Hello afj67,

I did a quick search over at the vinyl asylum and found the following thread on Period records.

Period Records Information From Vinyl Asylum

It seems like most recordings on Period Records weren't of the highest technical quality. However, that being said it sounds like anything by Janos Starker on this label is worth getting.

Currently listening to Bill Evans Trio: Bill Evans at Town Hall...Volume One

Alejandro

Thanks! I appreciate it!

Listening to this Kelly 'New Faces-- New Sounds' 10" number that I picked up from some music shop before it went out of business. Not a Japanese copy but one of the liberty era releases. Sounds okay...but there's no shortage of piano distortion in the upper registers. Anyone else heard one of these? This is one of those cases where the vinyl is no match for the JRVG where the distortion has been significantly cleaned up...particularly on "Cherokee" and "Good-Bye". Then again, the JRVG has it's own problems with a bit more audible background tape noise on some cuts like "Crazy He Calls Me'.

Never heard one of those Weizen. Sounds like a mixed bag sound-wise.

Tonight I soent most of the time watching a Jimmy Stewart movie so not too much listening. But I've had on:

James Moody Last Train From Overbrook on Argo

Dewey Redman Musics on Galaxy. Nice version of "Alone Again (Naturally)" on here.

Listening to this Kelly 'New Faces-- New Sounds' 10" number that I picked up from some music shop before it went out of business. Not a Japanese copy but one of the liberty era releases. Sounds okay...but there's no shortage of piano distortion in the upper registers. Anyone else heard one of these?

Have enjoyed the Toshiba 12'' vinyl (BNF71001) of this for quite a long time. It comes distorsion free (except on take 1 of 'Goodbye') even if the sound is far from perfect. Disc transfers are credited to Ron McMasters for this reissue.

By the way, that 12incher album had 19 sides crammed on it.

Never heard one of those Weizen. Sounds like a mixed bag sound-wise.

Tonight I soent most of the time watching a Jimmy Stewart movie so not too much listening. But I've had on:

James Moody Last Train From Overbrook on Argo

Dewey Redman Musics on Galaxy. Nice version of "Alone Again (Naturally)" on here.

Which Jimmy Stewart movie? Turner Classic Movies channel had an all-day (yesterday) Jimmy Stewart festival. I watched "Destry Rides Again," and Hitchcock's "Rope" and "Rear Window" (which may very well be Hitch's masterpiece). I passed on watching "Vertigo," due to lack of time, plus I have seen it several times only recently. Interesting how well Hitch was able to use Stewart, and how well Stewart was able to adapt to Hitch's quirly little world.

As for vinyl, I pulled out a copy of Byrd' "At the Half Note Cafe" Vol. 1, BST 84060.

The odd thing about this copy is that the pressing is a Liberty United Artist pressing, "RVG Stereo" stamped in the dead wax, but the jacket has the Blue Note, 43 West 61st, New York 23, address.

I am wondering if the vinyl and the jacket were "married" by some collector, or did UA have some old jackets around and simply used them for its later pressing?

Such cases should also make one beware of buying "sealed" BN copies, especially of earlier titles, as it is often the case that the vinyl is a later pressing than the jacket would indicate. Unscrupulous EBAYERS simply seal the LPs themselves, suggesting that you are bidding on an early pressing, thus garnering higher prices.

In my case, I paid only $5.00 for the Byrd copy I have, bought at a local sale. Sound is quite fine.

UA probably had some old jackets from the NY USA era lying around Leeway. Not uncommon.

Graham Collier on the deck at present. 'Mosaics' released in 1971 on Philips. To be follwed a bit later on by the 2LP 'Jazz & Poetry 250' set on Argo with Michael Garrick and Rendell/Carr. Plus Laurie Lee, Spike Milligan & co doing the poetry..

Yes, so I see (just checked AMG)!! :rfr Seems a real shame that Toshiba didn't hold off a little longer on releasing the JRVG (TOCJ-9222) and include it instead in the 9300+ run that offered extra cuts. Oh well. So basically then, the Kelly completist must have that 12" vinyl...or perish, oui?

Yes, so I see (just checked AMG)!! :rfr Seems a real shame that Toshiba didn't hold off a little longer on releasing the JRVG (TOCJ-9222) and include it instead in the 9300+ run that offered extra cuts. Oh well. So basically then, the Kelly completist must have that 12" vinyl...or perish, oui?

Another good reason to hang on that Toshiba vinyl ;)