• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dave Burrell - Windward Passages - hat HUT

Bernstein/New York Philharmonic - Shostakovitch Symphony No 5, OP 47 - Columbia

Joe Henderson - The State of the Tenor - Live @ The Village Vanguard Vol 2 - Blue Note

McCoy Tyner - New York Reunion - Chesky w/ Joe Henderson, Ron Carter & Al Foster

Which Jimmy Stewart movie? Turner Classic Movies channel had an all-day (yesterday) Jimmy Stewart festival. I watched "Destry Rides Again," and Hitchcock's "Rope" and "Rear Window" (which may very well be Hitch's masterpiece). I passed on watching "Vertigo," due to lack of time, plus I have seen it several times only recently. Interesting how well Hitch was able to use Stewart, and how well Stewart was able to adapt to Hitch's quirly little world.

Yep, it was on Turner. I watched the end of Rear Window then the one after it, although I missed the beginning and didn't see the name. He was a clerk in a store and had a letter-writing romance with a woman. He later found out who she was and it was one of the women he worked with. It was also a Christmas movie so there was lenty of good feeling all around. Stewart was very young in it.

UA probably had some old jackets from the NY USA era lying around Leeway. Not uncommon

Yeah, I know, although the vinyl and jacket come from two Blue Note eras rather far apart. You can't always tell a record by its cover/jacket ;)

The most common discrepancy I see is Liberty jackets with NY USA vinyl. I have a 'Cornbread' with that particular combo. NY jackets and 47 63rd vinyl is not too uncommon either. The UA vinyl with 43 W 61St NY 23 jacket is a more unusual one I think.

Ronnie Scott- Serious Gold (Pye)- Coltranesque but nice stuff

Introducing Villegas- Columbia (6 eye)- pretty beat but rather flashy pianist with a slightly unusual approach- don't know much (anything) about him.

Jazz at the Plaza Vol 2- rather distant sounding Ellington plus guests, presumably recorded at the same bash that gave rise to the Miles Plaza set.

Edited by Clunky

Which Jimmy Stewart movie? Turner Classic Movies channel had an all-day (yesterday) Jimmy Stewart festival. I watched "Destry Rides Again," and Hitchcock's "Rope" and "Rear Window" (which may very well be Hitch's masterpiece). I passed on watching "Vertigo," due to lack of time, plus I have seen it several times only recently. Interesting how well Hitch was able to use Stewart, and how well Stewart was able to adapt to Hitch's quirly little world.

Yep, it was on Turner. I watched the end of Rear Window then the one after it, although I missed the beginning and didn't see the name. He was a clerk in a store and had a letter-writing romance with a woman. He later found out who she was and it was one of the women he worked with. It was also a Christmas movie so there was lenty of good feeling all around. Stewart was very young in it.

The film was Ernst Lubitsch's The Shop Around the Corner. I started watching it after watching Rear Window, and fell asleep about a half an hour into it. I have to try and get younger so I can stay up. :D

The film was Ernst Lubitsch's The Shop Around the Corner. I started watching it after watching Rear Window, and fell asleep about a half an hour into it. I have to try and get younger so I can stay up. :D

Thanks!

Thanks!

The premise of "The Shop Around the Corner" received its most recent update as "You Got Mail," with Tom Hanks, and, I believe, Meg Ryan.

I can accept Stewart in most roles but not that of a Hungarian shopkeeper, not with that twangy, drawly American manner of speaking. For those who can, the film, by Ernst Lubitsch, is considered something of a classic.

Anyway, back to the vinyl....

Tonight is "50s night" I guess (with 60s pressings):

Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants Blue label Prestige, mono I love the version of "Bemsha Swing" on this.

John Coltrane Coltrane Prestige. Also blue label mono.

Jay Jay Johnson Volume 2 Liberty, mono

Coleman Hawkins: Hollywood Stampede (Capitol/Holland)

Good listening - Hawkins is especially fine on the ballads - but a bit of a personal embarrassment. When I took this off the shelf, I found that it was still sealed in shrink wrap. It had been sitting unopened and unplayed for over 15 years. So much for knowing my collection.

Coleman Hawkins: Hollywood Stampede (Capitol/Holland)

Good listening - Hawkins is especially fine on the ballads - but a bit of a personal embarrassment. When I took this off the shelf, I found that it was still sealed in shrink wrap. It had been sitting unopened and unplayed for over 15 years. So much for knowing my collection.

Does that qualify as a "great find?" :D

After listening to Warne Marsh's All Music recently, and some Art Pepper, I got out a recent E-Bay purchase: a 1972 Contemporary issue of 1956 sessions with Marsh and Pepper. It's called Art Pepper...the way it was. This is the first time I've heard it. Nice stuff.