• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First I had to rock out a bit, so I spun some early stereo pressings of The Rolling Stones "Aftermath," and Led Zeppelin's "Houses of the Holy." Oh man, that sounded good. :g Some great guitar work by Keith Richards and Jimmy Page, and I have always liked the edge that Brian Jones brought to the Stones.

Then some jazz. Sahib Shihab, "Jazz Sahib," with Bennie Golson, Phil Woods, Hank Jones, Oscar Pettiford, Bill Evans, Paul Chambers, Art Taylor. A 1957 session, on a 1984 SJ Records reissue. Good sound. Some fine baritone work from Shihab.

Eddie Cleanhead Vinson, "You Can't Make Love Alone," featuring Larry Coryell, Mega Records, Flying Dutchman, Bob Thiele producer. A June 1971 live performance at Montreux. Fun stuff and Vinson can play a robust alto.

John Lewis, "A Milanese Story," Atlantic 1388, with Bobby Jaspar on flute and tenor, and Rene Thomas on guitar, and a fine arco bass player, Jozsef Paradi. Very atmospheric. This one grows on you.

I just had to get out my mono copy of December's Children Leeway. THis is a group that could haveseriously benefitted from a George Martin-like figure that the Beatles had. But, these LPs sound so much better than the horrid CD versions that Abkco put out originally. The new remastered ones are superb, but I still like the Lps better than the CD layer though. I don't have an SACD player so I can't comment on the sound of those.

Monk: Monk's Music (Gateway reissue)

Horace Parlan: On The Spur Of The Moment(Both Classic and Mosaic reissue)

Monk: The Man I Love (Black Lion)

Ornette Coleman: Body Meta (Artist House)

Johnny Griffin: Introducing (Classic Records)

Mingus: Mosaic Candid set

"Cannoball Adderley Quintet Plus"- with Wynton Kelly on piano.

Riverside RLP 388, MONO. This is another Bill Grauer Production, produced by Orrin Keepnews, recording engineer Ray Fowler. Vivid sound.

This copy has a blue label with silver lettering. I seem to recall most of these Riversides have a black label. Can anybody enlighten me on the labelography for Riverside? The jacket of this copy says Riverside Records, 235 W. 46th Street, New York.

Riverside RLP 388, MONO. This is another Bill Grauer Production, produced by Orrin Keepnews, recording engineer Ray Fowler. Vivid sound.

This copy has a blue label with silver lettering. I seem to recall most of these Riversides have a black label. Can anybody enlighten me on the labelography for Riverside? The jacket of this copy says Riverside Records, 235 W. 46th Street, New York.

If I remember right , blue is mono and black is stereo.

Thelonious Monk and Sonny Rollins Japanese Toshiba pressing SMJ-6627.

Just got my first order from Early Records in Japan, of which the above is one. You guys who have been touting him are correct. The service and communication were fantastic. Very accurate on the condition descriptions, and better prices than E-Bay. I'll definitely be a return customer.

Riverside RLP 388, MONO.  This is another Bill Grauer Production, produced by Orrin Keepnews, recording engineer Ray Fowler. Vivid sound.

This copy has a blue label with silver lettering.  I seem to recall most of these Riversides have a black label.  Can anybody enlighten me on the labelography for Riverside?  The jacket of this copy says Riverside Records, 235 W. 46th Street, New York.

If I remember right , blue is mono and black is stereo.

Thanks, that makes sense.

BTW, re: Rolling Stones mono. That "December's Children" sounds tasty. I just picked up a mono copy of the Stones "Got Live If You Want It," not the most artistic Stones effort, but raw and energized and in the moment. I'm looking forward to giving it a good spin.

I also picked up a copy of The Animals "Animization," which I'm really pleased to find. This is the US version. It is also a mono copy.

I'm not sure I agree with you about the Stones needing a George Martin type. I really admire what George Martin did for the Beatles, but I'm afraid that a Martin type would take the raw quality out of the early Stones music. It's the seemingly unproduced quality of their music that captures me. This starts to disappear later on I think.

The Stones did have someone who appeared on the early albums in a vaguely defined role - Jack Nitzsche. Anyone know about this guy?

Stones, Animals, Zeppelin--I expect a rave-up Friday! :g

Hey, I thought this was a JAZZ forum..... :rsly:

Horace Parlan:  On The Spur Of The Moment(Both Classic and Mosaic reissue)

How do they compare Wolff? (I've got the Mosaic but not the Classic).

I think the Classic would be much closer to the original's sound. Like you mentioned regarding the Reece, the Classic has a punchier, more full bodied sound. The sound of the horns are definitely closer to the big, somewhat forward sound you get with originals.

The Mosaic seems smoother and possibly easier on the ears as the Classic's highs and upper mid-range, on this title, are a bit raw like some originals.

The music is more involving with the Classic. YMMV

Horace Parlan:  On The Spur Of The Moment(Both Classic and Mosaic reissue)

How do they compare Wolff? (I've got the Mosaic but not the Classic).

I think the Classic would be much closer to the original's sound. Like you mentioned regarding the Reece, the Classic has a punchier, more full bodied sound. The sound of the horns are definitely closer to the big, somewhat forward sound you get with originals.

The Mosaic seems smoother and possibly easier on the ears as the Classic's highs and upper mid-range, on this title, are a bit raw like some originals.

The music is more involving with the Classic. YMMV

Thanks !