What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Kenny Burrell: Midnight Blue

Just picked it up for $5.00...had to remove about an inch of dirt from the disc but hey it's a sweet payoff.

That's one of those albums that just meant to be heard on vinyl. I picked up a Liberty version from wolff not too long ago...absolutley love listening to it. Which era is your copy from?

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

street singer Posted on Aug 31 2004, 11:12 PM

That's one of those albums that just meant to be heard on vinyl. I picked up a Liberty version from wolff not too long ago...absolutley love listening to it. Which era is your copy from?

I know what you mean. I've already listened to the entire LP a few times tonight. For some reason I could never get into the CD version.

My copy is BLP 4123 with a New York USA address.

Exactly like the one in the following graphic--except for artist and issue info of course:

I also scored a pretty scratched up and dirt encrusted copy of Lee Morgan's Cornbread (BST 84222 with a New York USA address) for $1.99. It seems like the previous, or original, owner didn't take too much care of his LPs. They're safe with me though.;)

Edited by alejo

Hey Wolff,

Name, rank, and serial number is all you’re getting. :D

Seriously, I picked these up in the U-District. I occasionally stumble finds like this sandwiched between works by Glenn Campbell, Pantera, and Three Dog Night in the new arrivals mish mash.

Any tips for LP hunting in the Bay Area? I heading down there soon and don't want to miss out on anything.

The Complete Recordings of Larry Young (Mosaic Records) 

Arrived today.  I'd be surprised if the LP's were played more than once. :D

That's probably because they're digital ^_^

Just kidding Wolff, let us know how they sound, and I do hope you enjoy them.

This set is right up my alley to receive a lot of time on the turntable. Lots of Grant Green and Elvin Jones. Mostly medium tempo(Unity may be the exception). Some really beautiful tunes.

What a great product Mosaic put/puts out. As soon as I stop missing their vinyl issues, I get another set and wish they still issued everything on vinyl.

The sign of a great product for me is: I really, really want more of it. And I want more Mosaic's. Probably preaching to the choir.

Very warm, smooth sound. I imagine the instruments are missing some(just a bit) of the bite and real life energy found on originals. Green's guitar doesn't have the snap, detail and body I know it to have on other original LP's from this period. Also, I'm pretty sure the organ is missing some bottom end. I'm getting too picky here. The sound is very, very good. I've have many, many all analog LP's that do not sound this good. The music flows and communicates very naturally, which is what I value most.

Next stop...the Tristano set in about a week. :D

A good summing up. The originals do have the fuller organ sound and do bring out better Grant Green's attack but the Mosaic LPs are very fine indeed. This is a wonderful set, real desert island stuff musically. Most informative booklet on this one too, a great little biography on Mr Young. Truly sad re: the lack of recognition in the 1970s and the sense of disillusionment.

Edited by sidewinder

The Complete Recordings of Larry Young (Mosaic Records) 

Arrived today.  I'd be surprised if the LP's were played more than once. :D

That's probably because they're digital ^_^

Just kidding Wolff, let us know how they sound, and I do hope you enjoy them.

This set is right up my alley to receive a lot of time on the turntable. Lots of Grant Green and Elvin Jones. Mostly medium tempo(Unity may be the exception). Some really beautiful tunes.

What a great product Mosaic put/puts out. As soon as I stop missing their vinyl issues, I get another set and wish they still issued everything on vinyl.

The sign of a great product for me is: I really, really want more of it. And I want more Mosaic's. Probably preaching to the choir.

Very warm, smooth sound. I imagine the instruments are missing some(just a bit) of the bite and real life energy found on originals. Green's guitar doesn't have the snap, detail and body I know it to have on other original LP's from this period. Also, I'm pretty sure the organ is missing some bottom end. I'm getting too picky here. The sound is very, very good. I've have many, many all analog LP's that do not sound this good. The music flows and communicates very naturally, which is what I value most.

Next stop...the Tristano set in about a week. :D

Congrats on the Young. It's definitely on my list for someday. I hope you like the Tristano box too. I have it on CD and it's fascinating stuff.

I've got on Bud Shank This Bud's For You with Ron Carter, Kenny Barron and Al Foster. Muse Records. 1984

Hey wolff, how is that Redding LP? I've been thinking about picking that up along with those Aretha records they've done...

I like it, along with the Aretha title I have. The Redding has very good mono sound. Both have great vinyl and packaging. I plan on getting more Aretha titles. I've hestated in getting their jazz titles, as I they might not be my cup of tea. Don't forget Sundazed for more Redding titles. I have all but one and like them.

I may get Eddie Gale's Ghetto Music just for the 11" x 22" poster. :D

Edited by wolff

Was let out of work a little earlier today, got to listen to some vinyl:

Andrew Hill, "Nefertiti," Inner City. Complex, interesting music. Hill's piano solos sound orchestral at times.

Woody Shaw- "Woody Shaw III" - Columbia- with some of the longest liner notes I've seen on a single LP, 2 sides of the inner sleeve, by, somewhat surprisingly, Amiri Baraka, saying good things about a fellow Newark, NJ resident- long, sometimes rambling notes, but often illuminating and informative.

Billy Taylor Orchestra- "The Original Jazz Score of 'Kwamina' " Mercury Mono - with Clark Terry, Phil Woods, Jimmy Cleveland, and others. Good playing but the music is nothing special.

Cal Tjader- "Warm Wave" - Verve- lush Claus Ogerman string arrangements, stops just this side of kitsch, which is maybe why I like it. Produced by Creed Taylor, this LP lists both Phil Ramone and Rudy Van Gelder as recording engineers! I don't think this one made it to CD -with all that lush orchestration and over-the-top vibes it's a natural for analog.

Edited by Leeway

Stanley Turrentine- "Rough 'N Tumble" - NY USA/Liberty MONO (see my other thread on the odd discographical issue with this LP)- totally kick ass sound- like you are RIGHT THERE with Stanley--terrific lineup;

Lou Donaldson- "Midnight Creeper"- Liberty- a Francis Wolff production. Funky playing as only Lou can do it. I love the cover- one of those "girl covers" - not by Reid Miles but would have done him proud;

Nina Simone- "Forbidden Fruit" - Colpix- what a fabulous singer, a singer of real distinction and power.

Lee Morgan- "Sidewinder" - Liberty- as the guys at Penguin comment- this LP was both the best and worst thing to happen to Lee from an artistic standpoint. Still a lot of fun to listen to.