• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Enrico Rava Quartet- "Opening Night" - ECM, from about 1981. My first exposure to Rava. A definite Miles influence there. I'll need to hear more.

Lee Morgan- "City Lights" - Blue Note/Toshiba- Lee with George Coleman, Curtis Fuller, et al. Songs by Golson and Gryce. Real good stuff, and Lee plays great. One of Reid Miles more esoteric cover illustrations.

Horace Silver- "The Trio Sides" - Blue Note Re-Issue Series. Perceptive liner notes by Ran Blake.

e71209ufiaq.jpg

Finally figured out how to insert picture; wanted to post the Lee Morgan "City Lights" album cover, per my post above.

That image of Lee slumped (?) in a chair looks like a piece of Renaissance iconography, set against a faintly surrealistic "city lights" background.

Edited by Leeway

Last night, gave a listen to: A Jazz Version of KEAN- Selections from the Broadway musical hit Riverside- Bill Grauer- RLP 397- mono.

Performed by the Riverside Jazz Stars, featuring Blue Mitchell, Jimmy Heath, Bobby Timmons Trio, with Clark Terry and Julius Watkins, with arrangements by Jimmy Heath, Ernie Wilkins, and Melba Liston. I'm always on the lookout for Melba Liston- here she arranges and conducts 2 pieces- both excellent.

Today, listened to Grant Green- Nigeria- Blue Note LT 1032. Pretty good sound. The musical selections can now be found on "Complete Quartets". "Airegin" and "It Ain't Necessarily So" particularly groove- you can hear Blakey talking it up in the background.

Also an album from the Europa Jazz series- really, glorified LP bootlegs of European performance. This one has a live performance of Mr. P.C., with (as credited) John Coltrane and Eric Dolphy Quintet- Coltrane, Dolphy, Tyner, Garrison, Jones- 11:40" of smokin' music- alas, bootleg type sound- but the performance burns through. Also has a performance by Charles Mingus Quintet, "Better Git It In Your Soul" 11:50", with (credited) Ted Curson, Dolphy, Vooker Ervin, Mingus, Richmond. Great stuff. Both live performances- location and date not given. Powerful playing.

Also an album from the Europa Jazz series- really, glorified LP bootlegs of European performance. This one has a live performance of Mr. P.C., with (as credited) John Coltrane and Eric Dolphy Quintet- Coltrane, Dolphy, Tyner, Garrison, Jones- 11:40" of smokin' music- alas, bootleg type sound- but the performance burns through.

Interesting. I wonder when and where it is from.

Disc 2 of the "Live Trane" CD box has a 1961 performance with Dolphy that clocks in at 11:17, but it has Workman on bass, not Garrison.

I also have a 1962 version with Dolphy on disc 4 of a 5 CD box set issued by something called Rare Arts Reference Edition from Switzerland. Its an 11:03 minute version with Dolphy (on alto and flute) which has Garrison on bass and it says it is from a 1962 performance at Birdland. The boxed set is called "The Legendary Masters Unissued or Rare 1951-65. I've never seen it since I found it in a used CD store about 10 years ago. The stuff from the early 50s is total bootleg sound, but the live material from 61-65 has pretty good bootleg-type sound.

Also an album from the Europa Jazz series- really, glorified LP bootlegs of European performance. This one has a live performance of Mr. P.C., with (as credited) John Coltrane and Eric Dolphy Quintet- Coltrane, Dolphy, Tyner, Garrison, Jones- 11:40" of smokin' music- alas, bootleg type sound- but the performance burns through.

Interesting. I wonder when and where it is from.

Disc 2 of the "Live Trane" CD box has a 1961 performance with Dolphy that clocks in at 11:17, but it has Workman on bass, not Garrison.

I also have a 1962 version with Dolphy on disc 4 of a 5 CD box set issued by something called Rare Arts Reference Edition from Switzerland. Its an 11:03 minute version with Dolphy (on alto and flute) which has Garrison on bass and it says it is from a 1962 performance at Birdland. The boxed set is called "The Legendary Masters Unissued or Rare 1951-65. I've never seen it since I found it in a used CD store about 10 years ago. The stuff from the early 50s is total bootleg sound, but the live material from 61-65 has pretty good bootleg-type sound.

I don't know how much reliance you can place on the performer credits and discgraphical information provided on the Europa LPs, especially since they leave the big stuff out, like where and when! I didn't get a chance to time it, but will try to do so. Might match up with yours. The sound on the Coltrane/Dolphy starts off pretty well, then drops off as if the mike was moved away. I would call it only adequate. But the performance is ferocious. It sounds to me like an outdoor venue. Ditto the Mingus- also a really fine performance.

1a_1_b.JPG

World Pacific ST 1873. Six Beatles songs, and 5 other songs.

I got this one on the cheap. Wasn't expecting much really. Turned out to be a pretty decent session, although at time it veers dangerously close to mere "easy listening." Vocal backing on several tracks doesn't help matters. However, the arrangements are good, if not particularly innovative, and there's some good playing from Shank, and from Chet Baker, who also makes an appearance here.

Was this one on the Shank Mosaic? BTW, is n't that a terrible cover? I suppose it was meant to be "psychedelic" B-)

Edited by Leeway

Was this one on the Shank Mosaic?

No - just the earlier sessions on the Mosaic. 'Michelle' is also absent.

There's mention in the 'Deep In A Dream' book that at the time these LPs were put together Richard Bock was involved in putting out stuff for the Muzak Corporation. Baker's presence on the sessions was also a favour to Baker, who was pretty well destitute apparently and could hardly play. Baker went begging in there for work to get drug money.

Now spinning:

Pat Martino 'East' - Prestige blue label with suspect piano..