What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Was this one on the Shank Mosaic?

No - just the earlier sessions on the Mosaic. 'Michelle' is also absent.

There's mention in the 'Deep In A Dream' book that at the time these LPs were put together Richard Bock was involved in putting out stuff for the Muzak Corporation. Baker's presence on the sessions was also a favour to Baker, who was pretty well destitute apparently and could hardly play. Baker went begging in there for work to get drug money.

Now spinning:

Pat Martino 'East' - Prestige blue label with suspect piano..

Interesting information-- I didn't know that Bock worked for Muzak, but that news doesn't come as a surprise, considering some of the "product" he put out.

I checked De Valk's bio of Chet and here's what he has to say:

Soon after reaching Los Angeles, at the end of 1965, an offer for a series of commercial records comes in:  with the Mariachi Brass [....] and two with the Carmel Strings.  Chet consents, and in the next three years he is also co-soloist on five recordings of pop hits produced by Bud Shank, and a record with Joe Pass besides [....]  Most appear, awkwardy enough, on the Pacific Label--now called World Pacific--on which Chet had scored his first successes years earlier.  They are dreadful records, but it is not true--as many have claimed--that not a single note of jazz can be heard on them.  Chet honestly strives to make the best of his infrequent solos.  He himself later characterized the records as 'outrageous, terrible',  Bud SHank who, since his first studio session with Chet in 1953, is less hard on them: 'I wasn't very picky.  You had no choice then.  We simply had to make those commercial records.  We needed the money.  At that time, in the second half of the 60s, nobody was making jazz records.  And if I hadn't accepted the work, I wouldn't have made any records at all [...] I was not ashamed of the records, but I was not proud of them either..

Regarding "Magical Mystery," De Valk says:

In April 1968 he was still recording--the album 'Magical Mystery' with Bid Shank, which consists of uninspired Beatles covers-- and then the curtain falls

I should have noted that there are two fluegel hornists on the LP, Baker and a Gary Barone, perhaps to cover for Baker.

I wouldn't put this LP in the same category as Mariachi Brass or Carmel Strings-it's not nearly that bad. Shank preserves it from becoming mere commercial fodder-- but just.

De Valk doesn't say any more about the Baker/Pass session (which was that??). From what I've read, Pass was just emerging from his own addiction problems, coming out of Synanon a few years earlier; Baker, of course, probably never kicked his habit.

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Leeway wrote:

De Valk doesn't say any more about the Baker/Pass session (which was that??). From what I've read, Pass was just emerging

from his own addiction problems, coming out of Synanon a few years earlier; Baker, of course, probably never kicked his habit.

This was the Joe Pass 'A Sign of the Times' album on World Pacific with Chet Baker and Frank Capp on drums.

Never heard that one and stopped searching for it after getting acquainted with the Chet Baker and the Mariachi Brass albums.

Leeway wrote:

De Valk doesn't say any more about the Baker/Pass session (which was that??). From what I've read, Pass was just emerging

from his own addiction problems, coming out of Synanon a few years earlier; Baker, of course, probably never kicked his habit.

This was the Joe Pass 'A Sign of the Times' album on World Pacific with Chet Baker and Frank Capp on drums.

Never heard that one and stopped searching for it after getting acquainted with the Chet Baker and the Mariachi Brass albums.

Thanks Brownie. I've never spotted that album either. I can't believe it would rate as low as the Mariachi stuff, if for no other reason than Pass's playing. There must have been a strange atmosphere at that session- what with Pass recovering from a long period of drug addiction, and Baker still a notorious addict.

Latest up on the turntable:

More Miles. I hadn't heard this one before:

e2201554ziy.jpg

Initial impressions: Intense, chugging funk, but despite its surface reference to funk, still an introspective, controlled soundscape, like the soundtrack to a bad dream. I also had the feeling that this is a soundscape rooted in the drug experience. The electric guitar, not the trumpet, has primacy here. There is a fine portrait of Miles inside the gatefold cover, looking like a particularly hip bantam weight boxer.

Then [the earth below, the sky above]:

d4343157t74.jpg

Alice's piano playing is capable of intense power. Her playing on the harp is fascinating but, I think the instrument has certain sound limitations that can't be overcome. Sanders appears on one cut, "Ohnedaruth," playing the bass clarinet. Jimmy Garrison, bass, and Rashied Ali, drums, provide intense collaboration.

This is on a black label Impulse, with "Impulse!" in a red and green border. I can't keep the Impulse labelography straight. Is this an original issue or a later one?

Edited by Leeway

Finished up the afternoon rocking out:

f83773w1vdg.jpg

MGM Mono LP. Eric Burdon has one of those rock voices that compels attention.

Then the Godfathers of Heavy Rock (on Atlantic LP); if this doesn't move you, check your pulse, you might be dead:

f93183d6i1l.jpg

Then another Chet Baker connection (to use a word B-) see post above):

d757029t197.jpg

There's a picture of Chet on the inner sleeve, looking for all the world like a dead cowboy; he plays a couple of brief trumpet solos on "Shipbuilding."

Art Pepper: Art Is the Art Vol. 1 (Nadja-Trio Japan) - Omegatape sides

I'm a big Art Pepper fan. What can you tell us about the performance and the recording you mentioned?

From the liner notes on my Blue Note LP of Pepper's Omega Alpha, which was released in 1980:

"For some reason known only to Imperial executives of the day, the performances were released by Omegatape, one of the earliest U.S. firms engaged in the manufacture of prerecorded 1/4-track stereo tapes (now called open-reel) for the serious audiophile. The recordings were not issued in disc form at the time and this, coupled with the relatively limited sales enjoyed by 1/4-track tapes, accounts for the extreme rarity of these vintage performances. Combining as they do all the material released on Omegatape OMT 7020 and ST 2030, the present volumes mark the first U.S. release of these recordings in their original stereo configuration. An additional bonus is the inclusion in the second set, Omega/Beta, of several alternate takes: Fascinatin' Rythm, Begin The Beguine and Webb City

While Pepper retains only a faint recollection of the details of the recordings, the product of a single session held in Hollywood's Audio Arts studios, he has a vivid impression of the music made that day, and recalls the session as having come off very well, primarily because the supporting players -- pianist Carl Perkins, bassist Ben Tucker and drummer Chuck Flores -- had been working regularly as a group in various local clubs. The session proceeded with the swiftness and smoothness of a club date, he recalled, few tunes requiring more than a single take"

Side One:

Surf Ride

Body and Soul

Too Close For Comfort

Side Two:

Fascinatin' Rhythm

Begin The Beguine

Webb City

April 1, 1957

Thanks AJF 67. If I understand this all correctly, the Blue Note "Omega Alpha" is the same as the "Art is the Art" that Paul Secor mentioned (?). I think I have the BN LP somewhere in my shelves, but I didn't connect it ot the other title. I'll have to go hunt it up.

I checked the Pepper discography in "Straight Life,"and it has a diofferent date for the Omegatape sessions and some more titles.

It lists the date as January 1958, The Art Pepper Quartet, with the same personnel of Carl Perkins (p), Ben Tucker (b) and Chuck Flores (d).

Tunes:

"Holiday Flight" (5:12) -- issued on Omegatape OMT 7020, Baccarola G80116ZT, Onyx ORI219 and Najda [J] PA-3140

"Too Close For Comfort" (6:13) -- same as above

"Webb City" (4:34) -- Najda [J] PA-3141

"Webb City" (4:47) -- Same as "Holiday Flight"

"Surf Ride" (4:45) -- same as "Holiday Flight"

"Body and Soul" (4:23) -- same as "Holiday Flight"

"Begin the Beguine" (6:26) -- Najda [J] PA-3141

"Begin the Beguine" (7:24) -- same as "Holiday Flight"

"The Breeze and I" (3:34) -- Omegatape ST-2030, Overseas [J] ULS-1534-V, Onyx ORI 219, Najda [J] PA-3141

"Without a Song" (7:39) -- Same as "The Breeze and I"

"Fascinatin' Rhythm" (4:23) -- Same as "The Breeze and I"

"Fascinatin' Rhythm" (4:02) -- Najda [J] PA-3140

"Long Ago and Far Away" (4:09) -- Same as "The Breeze and I"

"I Can't Believe That You're In Love With Me" (5:38) -- Same as "The Breeze and I"

"Summertime" (7:26) -- Unissued

"Summertime" (6:34) -- Najda [J] PA-3140

"Blues Rock" (2:34) -- Unissued

"Rock Blues" (2:38) -- Unissued

The plot thickens- from "The Art of Pepper" website:

SESSION 21-APR 1/57- ART PEPPER QUARTET

Art Pepper(as)Carl Perkins(p)Ben Tucker(b)Chuck Flores(d)

Holiday Flight

Too Close for Comfort

Long Ago and Far Away

Begin the Begine

Begin the Begine (Alt Tk)

I Can't Believe You're Still In Love with Me

Webb City

Webb City (Alt Tk)

Summertime

Fascinating Rhythm

Fascinating Rhythm (Alt Tk)

Body And Soul

Without a Song

The Breeze and I

Surf Ride

CD Release Art Pepper/Modern Art Vol 2 The Complete Aladdin Recordings(BN7468482)

CD Release Art Pepper/The Art Of Pepper Vol 3 The Complete Aladdin Recordings (Blue Note CDP7468532)

The music on this Blue Note LP has always been somewhat obscure. Originally released by Omegatape only on pre-recorded tapes, it did not make its debut on an American LP until this 1980 album came out. It was a strange twist of fate, for the music for altoist Art Pepper (who was in one of his prime periods) was in top form throughout the date, playing "Surf Ride," "Webb City" and five familiar standards with pianist Carl Perkins, bassist Ben Tucker and drummer Chuck Flores. Highlights include "Surf Ride," "Fascinatin' Rhythm" and "Body and Soul." -- Scott Yanow, All Music Guide

Art Pepper website

Click on discography link.

This is getting complicated ^_^

I'm too tired tonight but will try to research it a little more tomorrow.

Thanks AJF 67.  If I understand this all correctly, the Blue Note "Omega Alpha" is the same as the "Art is the Art" that Paul Secor mentioned (?).  I think I have the BN LP somewhere in my shelves, but I didn't connect it ot the other title.  I'll have to go hunt it up.

I believe that Art Is the Art and Alpha Omega contain material from the same session. I have a second volume on Trio with alternate takes of three tunes and four additional performances.

Trio 3140 - Vol. 1

Side one:

Summertime

Too Close for Comfort

Webb City

Holiday Flight

Side two:

Begin the Beguine

Surf Ride

Body and Soul

Fascinatin' Rhythm

Trio 3141 - Vol. 2

Side one:

The Breeze and I

Without a Song

Long Ago and Far Away

Fascinatin' Rhythm

Side two:

I Can't Believe That You're in Love with Me

Webb City

Begin the Beguine

The discography that I have at hand, Bruyninckx, lists the Blue Note (April, 1957)as a separate session from the Trio (January, 1958), but that's probably because of conflicting statements made by Art Pepper. In the liner notes for the Trio issues, done by Pete Welding, Pepper remembered the session as predating his Contemporary recording Meets the Rhythm Section, which would place it sometime before January 17, 1957. He also mentioned that the recording took place shortly before pianist Carl Perkins' death, which would place it in early 1958. This may account for the duplicate listing by Bruyninckx.

I'm not a discographer by any stretch of the imagination, so perhaps someone else here can provide a more definitive answer.

Addition - Posted this before I saw the previous two posts. They probably provide more definitive information than I have.

Edited by paul secor

I'll have to pull that one out of the racks porcy62, I agree - got to see that band around the time the ECMs came out, what a show that was. Great memories ! :tup

Now playing John Cameron Quartet 'Off Centre' (Deram) and 'Poetry and Jazz 250' Michael Garrick Sextet et al (Argo 2LPs). On a bit of a British jazz kick tonight.

Continuing my travels through Miles Davis Country:

f58904tjqej.jpg

Columbia FC 40023- OK, not one of Miles' great albums, or even very good albums, but there are some good cuts on it, including Lauper's "Time After Time," a song which Miles seems to have become fixated on-- still, it shows Miles still could turn out a beautiful ballad. My biggest gripe with this album is the use (over use, really) of synthesizers; this would be a pretty good LP without the synthesizers.

Then on to one of my favorite artists:

c0771005hii.jpg

Liberty Pressing.