What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Continuing my travels through Miles Davis Country:

f58904tjqej.jpg

Columbia FC 40023- OK, not one of Miles' great albums, or even very good albums, but there are some good cuts on it, including Lauper's "Time After Time," a song which Miles seems to have become fixated on-- still, it shows Miles still could turn out a beautiful ballad. My biggest gripe with this album is the use (over use, really) of synthesizers; this would be a pretty good LP without the synthesizers.

Then on to one of my favorite artists:

c0771005hii.jpg

Liberty Pressing.

Stick Up is really first-rate. I have a re-issue copy on Applause that I picked up for $4 at Jerry's in Pittsburgh. Great place for finding cheap LPs.

• Replies 55.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Continuing my travels through Miles Davis Country:

f58904tjqej.jpg

Columbia FC 40023-  OK, not one of Miles' great albums, or even very good albums, but there are some good cuts on it, including Lauper's "Time After Time," a song which Miles seems to have become fixated on-- still, it shows Miles still could turn out a beautiful ballad.  My biggest gripe with this album is the use (over use, really) of synthesizers; this would be a pretty good LP without the synthesizers. 

Then on to one of my favorite artists:

c0771005hii.jpg

Liberty Pressing.

Stick Up is really first-rate. I have a re-issue copy on Applause that I picked up for $4 at Jerry's in Pittsburgh. Great place for finding cheap LPs.

Drew, yes indeed, I have been to Jerry's (my son goes to U Pitt), and it's a fun place to shop.

I also have an Applause pressing of STICK UP, as well as the Liberty. These Applause pressings can be quite good. I have one of Dexter Gordon, "Doin All Right," which is excellent. I think I read somewhere that Applause had the rights to sell off BNs at discount, using a modified album cover. I wonder if the vinyl isn't just repackaged Liberty pressings? Would be nice to think so, as one can usually pickup Applause copies for $3-$5.

Some evening listening, chilling out after a tough week:

blue%20note%20302_thumb_1.jpg

I know Byrd has gotten his share of RVGs, but doesn't this one deserve the RVG treatment as well (for those who prefer those shiny metal discs? :P ) Better than "Slow Drag" I think.

One of my favorite guitar players:

14.jpeg

Edited by Leeway

ericdolphy_atthefivespotvol1.jpg

Prestige 7611- the liner notes on this LP (the sleeve still has the Bergenfield, NJ address) are by Michael Cuscuna, written 1969. How old is Mr. Cuscuna anyway? he must have been fairly young at the time he wrote these notes.

Still sojourning in Miles Davis Country:

Sorcerer.jpg

Columbia CL 2732- Mono. Anyone know when Columbia (at least in the case of Miles) stopped producing mono LPs? I was surprised to find a mono copy.

Edited by Leeway

It must have been 1968'ish Leeway, there seem to be both CS and CL designations available up to 'Miles In The Sky' (at least according to Goldmine).

Now listening to Johnny Griffin Quartet 'The Kerry Dancers' on Riverside (also in mono, this one is a real ringer) and Jimmy Owens 'No Escaping It !!!' on UK Polydor. The Shelly Manne 'Son of Gunn !!' mono deepgroove is on deck.. :rsmile:

Edited by sidewinder

Columbia CL 2732- Mono. Anyone know when Columbia (at least in the case of Miles) stopped producing mono LPs? I was surprised to find a mono copy

It must have been 1968'ish Leeway, there seem to be both CS and CL designations available up to 'Miles In The Sky' (at least according to Goldmine).

Now listening to Johnny Griffin Quartet 'The Kerry Dancers' on Riverside (also in mono, this one is a real ringer) and Jimmy Owens 'No Escaping It !!!' on UK Polydor. The Shelly Manne 'Son of Gunn !!' mono deepgroove is on deck.

MONO a MONO :g It's back to the basics :D

John Lewis - 'The Golden Striker - Music for Brass and Piano By John Lewis Conducted and Played By The Composer' (Atlantic). Mighty fine :tup

Also just had a listen to 'The Giants of Jazz' 2LP set on Atlantic. Recorded in London in the early 70s by Dizzy, Stitt, Monk, Kai Winding, Al McKibbon and Blakey. Schhhhmokin' B-)

Someone I haven't really had a chance to check out before:

c561378523d.jpg

New Jazz 8254, Bergenfield, NJ.

The first jazz musicians I saw "live" and still one of my very favorites:

f32058supb6.jpg

Galaxy GXY-5119 (OJC-474)

I had to use image from the CD covers, as I could not find LPs image (same except for the OJC label).

Edited by Leeway

Finished tonight with:

Peter Kowald Quintet -- self-titled album FMP 0070 German free jazz. Interesting interplay on "Platte Talloere" on side one between what sound like small hand-held cymbols and the horn players. Very spacious recording also, with each instrument clearly defined and separated on the soundstage. Not for everyone, and not for all-the-time, but a nice interlude as I was relaxing this evening.

Pharaoh Sanders Quintet -- another self-titled album, this one ESP 1003 from 1964. Tunes are "seven by seven" and "bethera."