• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Doing my own Miles thing tonight too.  Now it's Live Evil

Good to find another sojourner in Miles Davis Country :g

What was it with Miles and the reverse language stuff: "Live-Evil," Selim Sivad," etc? Did Miles have an occult phase?

I don't know about that, but the music is killer!

Inspired by the Mingus thread, I'm putting on Charles Mingus' Mingus on Candid. Original mono copy. :tup:tup:tup

I was traversing Miles Davis Country and wandered into the adjoining Principality of GIL:

GL EVANS - SVENGALI- Atlantic Jazz Lore- 1982 reissue of 1973 Atlantic SD 1643

GIL EVANS- LIVE AT THE PUBLIC THEATER- Vol. 1 (New York 1980) -BlackHawk Records (never seen that label before).

I think the Miles Davis-Gil Evans relationship has yet to receive an adequate explanation.

Edited by Leeway

Larry Young Mother Ship recent E-Bay win fopr a 1980 first-time release of this 1969 material. Haven't done any comparison with the recent RVG of this title. My main issue with RVGs in general is their brightness and the overly-forward quality of the cymbals, and I don't hear that here at all.

Larry Young Mother Ship recent E-Bay win fopr a 1980 first-time release of this 1969 material. Haven't done any comparison with the recent RVG of this title. My main issue with RVGs in general is their brightness and the overly-forward quality of the cymbals, and I don't hear that here at all.

I really like the job they did on Mother Ship in the Mosaic LP set. I can just enjoy the music without being distracted by what you mention.

Larry Young  Mother Ship  recent E-Bay win fopr a 1980 first-time release of this 1969 material.  Haven't done any comparison with the recent RVG of this title.  My main issue with RVGs in general is their brightness and the overly-forward quality of the cymbals, and I don't hear that here at all.

I really like the job they did on Mother Ship in the Mosaic LP set. I can just enjoy the music without being distracted by what you mention.

Glad to hear that. But, I don't know if I'm going to really need the Young Mosaic as I am getting close to having most of what's on it I think, but in a variety of different formats. (minus alternate takes of course).

Edited by ajf67

Sorry about all the Miles stuff (trust me, I got LOTS more :lol: ), but I am still wandering about in Miles Davis Country, in the vicinity of the Principality of GIL, so this afternoon:

MILES DAVIS- "BIRTH OF THE COOL"- Capitol T 1974- "Dimensions in Jazz series" - a 1962 reissue, mono. Oddly, I couldn't find an image of this issue.

A couple of arrangements by Gil Evans. Miles and Gil had already initated their relationship/collaborations. I recently picked up "Castles Made of Sound: The Story of Gil Evans"- this is being remaindered (for a good reason?) and going cheap. Author is Larry Hicock. I need to get to this soon.

And now for something completely different:

"THE ROLAND KIRK QUARTET MEETS THE BENNY GOLSON ORCHESTRA"

Mercury MG 20844 - mono (what else B-) ).

I can't quite number myself among Kirk fans- at least not yet. That whole multi-instrument thing sort of bugs me. Still, I do hear good things and need to get a better sense of his music. Any fans? Couldn't find an image of this LP either, so:

rahsaan.jpg

Edited by Leeway

I am checkin' out a bunch of original Lps just received from the States.

Now under the lenses (and on the turntable) : HORACE SILVER "The Stylings of Silver" (West 63rd St.) deep Groove, mono.

The forwarded cymbals are here, but I am not so upset :rolleyes:

Before I checked out an original Impulse done by RVG: S. ROLLINS "On Impulse", that Rudy loved and loves cymbals, but still I am not so upset.

Consider Manfred Eichler: he hates cymbals ;)

Edited by porcy62

Happy 78th birthday John Coltrane :party:

trane-best.jpg

Impulse AS-9200, 2-LP set.

Trane already seems like a historical figure, yet many of his contemporaries are still alive and performing, or have only recently passed on. Interesting to speculate what Trane would be doing musically if he lived into the present era.

Pulled a couple of LPs off the shelf, no rhyme or reason for these two (I should say that for several reasons-- among them that I am inherently messy, and also because of a couple of residential moves-- my LPs are in no particular order-- or maybe I should say they are in random order ^_^ ).

Anyway, first up:

d23978v622t.jpg

Prestige 7175- Bergenfield NJ pressing. Tommy Flanagan (Bobby Timmons on one cut), Sam Jones, Arthur Taylor. I'm new to Cobb. This was fun. Listening to this Texas tenor was like getting in an old Caddy and cruising down a country road. Really liked uptempo "Blue Lou," and slow blues "Blue Me."

Then:

c07170m0qej.jpg

Have always liked Procul Harum, and particularly Gary Brooker's soaring yet brittle vocals. PC is, for me, a wittier and more interesting Moody Blues type of band. Any other PC fans?

Edited by Leeway

A funny thing happened on my way to the vinyl forum today. I was waylaid into another thread and got caught in a mudfight B-) I needed a "ritual purification" (maybe I spent too much time at the opening of the American Indian Museum this week), so, to "clean off" I spun the following:

SilentWay2a.jpg

Columbia PC 9875 (not 9857, as AMG lists it). I just recently picked up the Mosaic LP set of this title; got it from a used record store, but the set is new, still shrinkwrapped. It will be interesting to compare sound quality.

Then, for further cleansing:

f59421sgxtn.jpg

Blue Note BST 84017. Side B has a track "Baghdad Blues." Didn't know Horace was quite so prescient!

Then, to finish up the ritual:

c469333y88w.jpg

Blue Note BST 84255.

That felt GOOOD :P

Jimmy Gourley 'The Jazz Trio' with Marc Johnson on bass and Philippe Combelle on drums. A vinyl from the short-lived Bingow label.

The session has been reissued on the Elabeth label with two alternates takes.

This is a splendid straight-swining album from this Chicago guitar player who has been living in France for half a century now.