Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Leeway, nice Shepp. I love that stuff.

I'm now spinning a recent find: Sonny Rollins Quartet Live in Europe This is the group with Don Cherry. It's on the Unique Jazz label (U-22) and was made in Isreal.

Thanks Drew. You know, I played the Shepp after the Jefferson Airplane, and although the music is different, i felt that same kind of "vibe," that desire to kick away the restraints and make a peronal statement.

I know what you mean Leeway. That whole period produced some great shifts and it was reflected in the music across both jazz and rock.

I'm back to some earlier stuff. I've been playing some of the old Jazz Classics re-issues that Blue Note put out in the Liberty days: 1940s material by Edmond Hall, Baby Dodds, Art Hodes. I don't have any of these Mosaics, so I don't know if they cleaned up the sound any from these. Either way, it's great stuff.

Now I'm listening to a Presitige issue of 1930s material called Django Reinhardt and the American Jazz Giants. Lots of greats on here. Benny Carter, Coleman Hawkins, and a cool vocal by Bill Coleman on "Object of My Affection."

Leeway, nice Shepp. I love that stuff.

I'm now spinning a recent find: Sonny Rollins Quartet Live in Europe This is the group with Don Cherry. It's on the Unique Jazz label (U-22) and was made in Isreal.

Wondered about the Israel connection! The Unique Jazz LPs I have originate from Italy.

My copy of Duke Ellington 'The Hollywood Bowl Concert' gives an adress in Milano, Italy.

Still in that hard rock/"out" jazz mode. More high-energy, transgressive vibe:

f80256rrz9b.jpg

Hard to find a good vinyl copy of this one, since the kids who originally bought this, usually played the hell out of them. "War Pigs" on Side One is still much too relevant.

Then:

171907.jpg

[Had to use the CD cover]. 2 LPs, Impulse 9202.

While reading the free jazz poll thread and posting in the "Air" thread, I've been listening to some very non-free stuff:

Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra -- Blue Note 2LP re-issue. These guys really wake you up. Tight, swinging band.

Also one that I haven't pulled out for a while: The Late Show an Etta James/Eddie Cleanhead Vinson live date from 1986. This contains a lot of bluesy material, with great heartfelt vocals from James. "Only Women Bleed" should be an anthem for the national Organization for Women or something. It also has Jack McDuff on the Hammond B-3. Pick this up if you see it.

ba_1.JPG

"Out" but probably not nearly as "out" as it seemed when recorded.

Off topic, but I was involved with the US issue of this record.

The photo of Shepp was taken at the Down Beat jazz fest when he played with the Coltrane Quartet. I was there and the late Bill Abernathy took the shot.

Back to your usual programming.

One of Dylan's greatest albums, and one of the greatest albums of the 60s. It's importance in shaping the consciousness of a generation can't be overestimated. In a strange reflux of history, the album seems as immediately relevant today as it did in 1963. There are many great songs here, but I've always liked one of the lesser known works, "Bob Dylan's Dream"-- give it a listen. An angry, funny, beautiful, album. Dylan's coming out with an autobiography, it seems he is intent on smashing the icon of his own importance. Remember: "Trust the art, not the artist."

f56222p4g2p.jpg

Columbia CL 1986- Mono.

BTW, does anyone know who the pretty youg woman is holding onto Bob's arm? And, a la Brownie, does anyone know which street appears in the photo? It's almost certainly downtown Manhattan, but where?

Then, from the same 60s zeitgest, the same powerful culture movement that, alas, spent itself by the mid-70s:

591C82C9FC5C45D0BDC837143D5D117E.jpg

Aside from Shepp, some great avant-garde musicians on this one: Marion Brown, Ted Cuson, Reggie Johsnon, Joe Chambers, David Izenzon, J. C. Moses.

Impulse AS-86. From the "Warner Collectors Society" issue, Direct Metal Master-- it nevertheless sounds quite good. It also has a slightly different cover picture than the one shown above. Instead of the inset picture of Shepp on sax, it is a shoulder-length portrait of Shepp in profile.

The Dylan and Shepp albums have something in common-- they both have liner notes by Nat Hentoff-- he must have writen many thousand of them (most are pretty good within the constraints of the literary form).

P.S. Thanks Chuck for the historical note-- that's what I like about Org, you can always learn something! .

One of Dylan's greatest albums, and one of the greatest albums of the 60s. It's importance in shaping the consciousness of a generation can't be overestimated.  In a strange reflux of history, the album seems as immediately relevant today as it did in 1963.  There are many great songs here, but I've always liked one of the lesser known works, "Bob Dylan's Dream"-- give it a listen.  An angry, funny, beautiful, album.  Dylan's coming out with an autobiography, it seems he is intent on smashing the icon of his own importance.  Remember:  "Trust the art, not the artist." 

f56222p4g2p.jpg

Columbia  CL 1986- Mono.

BTW, does  anyone know who the pretty youg woman is holding onto Bob's arm?  And, a la Brownie, does anyone know which street appears in the photo?  It's almost certainly downtown Manhattan, but where? 

Great record - my introduction to Dylan back in 1963. I still have my mono copy.

I believe that I've read that the woman is Suze Rotolo, who was involved with Dylan at that time.

I believe that I've read that the woman is Suze Rotolo, who was involved with Dylan at that time.

Yes, that name does sound familiar. Despite the fact that I've listened to Dylan for decades, I've never read any detailed bio of him. It seems as if I know him through the songs.

As for the street, I would think it's in the East Village but can't quite make it out. I went to college at NYU, Washington Square, so have wandered those same slushy, snowy streets many times.

P.S.: I wonder how these original mono issues, or even the stereo issues of this vintage, compare with the new hybrid SACDs?

Edited by Leeway

Joe Henderson: Mode For Joe...nice mono NY USA I just got in.....$11 :D

Clark Terry: Duke With A Differance..OJC

Speaking of Dylan, I here he has an autobiography out. After loosing most of my Dylan LP's over the years, I went the Sundazed vinyl route(all mono) and am very happy.