Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More from the same crew:

Jimmy Rowles/Red Mitchell 'I'm Glad There Is You' (Contemporary).

Strange thing happened between the releases of these two LPs recorded at the same 1985 sessions.

The first album bears a 'FULL DIGITAL' sign on its front cover. The sign has disappeared from the second album.

Very nice albums both!

McCoy Tyner - "Song for My Lady"- Milestone MSP 9044 .

f77954s836m.jpg

A lot of interesting music here. Some good musicians working with Tyner: Sonny Fortune, Charles Tolliver, Alphonse Mouzon. Michael White on violin on 2 cuts, adding an interesting soundscape to the album.

Certainly the spirit of Coltrane presides over this album, and Tyner has successfully translated Coltrane's musical language into the idiom of the piano. "A Silent Tear" has the intensity of a Beethoven sonata.

Shouldn't Milestone put out a box set of Tyner's albums, in nice 24 bit?

591C82C9FC5C45D0BDC837143D5D117E.jpg

I forgot to mention that the recording engineer on this gig was Rudy Van Gelder, which kinda suprised me. (Bob Thiele produced). I know Rudy did work (and still does) for a lot of labels, but I don't really associate him with Impulse, especially its "New Thing" artists. Did RVG do a lot of work for Impulse and/or Thiele?

I forgot to mention that the recording engineer on this gig was Rudy Van Gelder, which kinda suprised me. (Bob Thiele produced). I know Rudy did work (and still does) for a lot of labels, but I don't really associate him with Impulse, especially its "New Thing" artists. Did RVG do a lot of work for Impulse and/or Thiele?

Every Bob Thiele session I could find in my collection (about 50 - up to 1966) was recorded by Rudy, except the Mingus sessions which were recorded by Bob Simpson. I wonder why Thiele and/or Mingus didn't want to use RVG for those...?

Edited by Z-Man

Every Bob Thiele session I could find in my collection (about 50 - up to 1966) was recorded by Rudy, except the Mingus sessions which were recorded by Bob Simpson. I wonder why Thiele and/or Mingus didn't want to use RVG for those...?

Thanks Z-Man. I guess I've not been paying attention to the recording credits-- either that or I'm having brain vapor lock :P .

Maybe Rudy didn't want to deal with Mingus rather than the other way around. That combination might have been too combustible. ^_^

Quincy Jones 'This Is How I Feel About Jazz' (ABC-Paramount)

So many superb solos in that album (Phil Woods, Charles Mingus on 'A Sleepin' Bee', Zoot Sims, Art Farmer, Milt Jackson on 'Evening in Paris', Paul Chambers and Lucky Thompson on 'Walkin''. All Lucky Thompson solos on that album are outstanding. So are Quincy Jones' arrangements.

Someone I haven't listened to in quite a while, plucked this off the shelf, thought the title was apropos, as I've been doing a fair amount of "looking back" myself lately:

c334308nlbg.jpg

London PS-562.

I've always had mixed feelings about Mayall as a bluesman, but his sincerity and love of the form is apparent. Plus he had many of the best British musicians; it's great to hear the fiery young Eric Clapton, among such others as Jack Bruce, John McVie, et al.

Out of the clear blue sky my Aunt Sharon from St. Louis dropped off two containers of records that belonged to my late Grandmother. For the most part I'm not all that interested in the titles. However, what there is is in fantastic condition.

The prize of the batch is playing now, "Satchmo," Louis Armstrong's Greatest Hits. Produced by Armstrong himself, this accompanied his Signet Book autobiography. I'm not all that excited about getting a greatest hits compilation, but what's cool is the record sleeve was still turned sideways inside and revealed a brand new record. I'm the first to ever play it, but it must be over 30 years old! Catchy batch of tunes, some funny spoken moments from Armstrong.

Really weird stuff in these crates, totally bizarre. Volumes 1-12 of "Golden Records Library: A Musical Heritage For Young America." The Harmonicats. Dancing At El Morrocco. Boston Pops Orchestra. A General MacArthur speech. The United States Bill Of Rights. Dan Dailey "Mr. Musical Comedy" (I shit you not)...

78s - Waltzes Of Vienna, Three Suns Moods, Bud Roman, Les Anthony, The Rhythmaires "Ballad Of Davy Crocket w/ Sheri Lynn "It May Sound Silly." Earl Sheldon...very cool to me to see Grandma had records, I never knew her.

Anyway that's my fun for the evening, a bunch of dusty records. :g

Anyway that's my fun for the evening, a bunch of dusty records. [greengrin.gif]

Sounds cool to me Noj

I've got on some Sam Rivers Waves 1979 Tomato Music Company With Dave Holland (bass and cello), Joe Daley (tuba, baratone horn), and Thurman Barker (drums).

Now playing a 1982 Discovery Records re-issue of an Interplay Records date:

Warne Marsh Group with Sal Mosca, Sam Jones and Roy Haynes. Side one is in the studio in 1979 and side two is from a Sarah Lawrence Concert in 1977, where they play "Background Music" and "She's Funny That Way."

Continuing my Dolphy interest. A Prestige "2-fer" with "Outward Bound" and "Out There," remastered by Rudy Van Gelder. Good sound at a good price.

57_1.JPG

Rummaging about in my shelves, came up with:

g09029icfkw.jpg

Electric Flag-- one of those great psychedelic names. Mike Bloomfield, Buddy Miles, Nick Gravenites, et al. A spirited attempt to fuse rock, soul, blues, and even a little bit of jazz. Columbia CS9597.