What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

I love that Monk album, but I share Wolff's views on the Columbia LP re-issues. Plus, you can find original Monk Columbias for reasonable prices. I have a strong preference for mono on these, because I find the stereo separation on the Monk Columbia's extreme and too distracting.

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tonight has been:

Archie Shepp and Philly Joe Jones -- no title on this one. It's on America Records and was released in Europe.

John Handy -- hard Work I had to put this on after reading and posting in the thread about Bush possibly cheating in the first debate. Love the album. The groove on the tune "Hard Work" just sticks in your head. Great sax playing by Handy too.

Ornette Coleman -- Love Call I love Jimmy Garrison and Elvin Jones on this one. The cover is hot too, particularly the back. :tup

Does anyone know more about Columbia's vinyl reissues? 

Short and simple: I tried a few and they sucked. :)

Turrentine: HUSTLIN'...Halfway through his first solo on 'Goin Home' I just made out someone saying, "Yeahhhh" in the background. Love the nice long solos he takes on this LP.

I don't know I'd go that far ^_^

I picked up some of these these Columbia 180gram LPs fairly cheap. They promise "audiophile" quality, which I didn't really expect-- and did not get. But the sound is pretty decent overall. The vinyl has a little bit of static in places. I believe these things sold new for about $15, a lot less than Classic for example. So I suppose they offered an inexpensive way to get into new vinyl.

My question about Columbia had to do more with whether Columbia used its own analog sources, or just used later digital transfers. Did they assemble a designated group to produce these vinyl reissues? I was also curious why Columbia would bother trying to make its way into the vinyl reissue market; it would seem a low margin operation for a big company. OTOH, it would seem that Columbia, with its back catalog, and plentiful audio resources, could potentially make some top-notch vinyl reissues.

I have to spin a few more of these and see if I agree with Wolff's assessment.

The one I tried was Monk and I was pretty disappointed. I am suspicious of the sources for these, because they came out at the same time that the CD re-issues did, so I assumed Columbia used the digital masters and just put them on vinyl, but I could be wrong. I don't think mine was on 180 gm vinyl. It was labled "Audiophile" though -- whatever that really means these days! I'd check it again, but I sold it to a used LP store as part of a mini purge of LPs because I knew I wouldn't listen to it since I have the original and I needed the space.

Edited by ajf67

Does anyone know more about Columbia's vinyl reissues? 

Agree with Wolff, I bought some, unpredictabile quality: the "electric" Hancock's is not bad, Davis quintet is awful, I avoided them since my first, and last, purchase. And the originals still have reasonable prices, except some Davis' titles. And you could find better Davis vinyl on Mosaic.

Edited by porcy62

I think decent quality 2-eyes is the way to go with the Miles Columbias, with the Mosaic sets an equally good alternative. I like the soundstage of the 2-eyes, even though I have the same material on the Mosaic LPs. I think I have pretty well all of them on 2-eye from that period, excluding 'Quiet Nights'. I really like the soundstage on the stereo originals.

Just been listening to Lee Morgan 'Search For The New Land' on a mono NY USA pressing. Sounds pretty nice, good to hear the arco bass coming through clearly on the title track.

A piano session:

e54950qwjlu.jpg

Barry Harris at the Jazz Workshop"-- my copy is a Victor Japan issue of the original Riverside. Bebop trio piano. I like it, very pleasant, smart piano playing, but would it be fair to describe this as Bud Powell-lite?

Then some Bill Evans, "New Conversations"

B000002KIJ.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

Warner Bros. BSK 3177. I'm not a big fan of the electric piano, but Evans mostly makes it work for him here. There is some tremendous playing here; the overdubs are extraordinary. Not the best, or my favorite, Evans album, but a darn good one.

Another genius of the piano:

williams1.gif

Mary Lou Williams, "From the Heart," Chiaroscuro 103. A wonderful amalgam of Tatum, Chopin, Monk, Debussy, and Powell (who was reportedly in love with Mary Lou, and who was likely influenced by her) but "at heart," very much her own person and her own pianist. This album is now part of a double CD called "Nite Life."

I'm having a Friedrich Gulda concert this evening.

Starting with 'Friedrich Gulda at Birdland' (RCA) with a terrific group: Idrees Sulieman, Jimmy Cleveland, Phil Woods, Seldon Powell, Aaron Bell and Nick Stabulas.

PeeWee Marquette is heard introducing the players. I may be wrond but several of the tracks sound like studio recordings.

Then 'Nachricht Vom Lande', the (German) Brain twofer with Ursula Anders, Gulda, Albert Mangelsdorff, Stu Martin, Barre Phillips, John Surman and Cecil Taylor, recorded in an Austrian castle in August 1976.

Staying (mostly) with the pianists:

d40398e39v8.jpg

An avalanche of synthesizers.

d10643939dq.jpg

A Toshiba-EMI Japan Blue Note pressing.

Then my man Bobby Hutcherson - "Knucklebean," Blue Note (couldn't even find a picture of this LP :( ) A great candidate for a Conn or RVG reissue.

And some rock:

f178226sl4e.jpg

An interesting amalgam of heavy rock, Bowie, and Lou Reed (nice version of "Sweet Jane").

Hadn't listened to folk music in a while, so put on a couple of sides from Elektra Records, "The Folk Box," 4 LPs. Listened to Side 6, "Nothing But the Blues," songs by Sonny Terry, Big Bill Broonzy, Ledabelly, Blind Lemon Jefferson, New Lost City Ramblers, et al. Then Side 8, "Broadside, Protest Songs," with Pete Seeger, Woody Guthrie, Tox Paxton, et al.

Are there any folkies on the Org Board?

Then a Blue Note with one of the oddest covers:

blue%20note4%20059_thumb.jpg

Live from the Golden Slipper, Newark, NJ, 1971. Recording engineer, Malcolm Addey !

Newbie time:

Roach / Clark / Duvalier (Time) - Can't get enough of Mr. Clark!

David Murray - I Want to Talk About You (Black Saint) - John Hicks on pn. Nice long groove on Morning Song, by far my favorite Murray piece (an album!)

Bruebeck - Reunion (Fantasy) - Not really my thing, but it was cheap and on cool red vinyl so I took a flyer. Still not my thing, at least not today.

Horace Silver - Trio Sides (BN Two-fer) - Now THAT's more like it. Good to hear his originals in the trio setting... nice contrast to quintet takes.

Jimmy Smith - On the Sunny Side (BN LT) - Smith, Bailey, Burrell w Turrentine and Percy France. Just picked this up on Friday. Great stuff... but I guess it didn't pass BN standards when it was recorded. Is the LT the first (only?) release for these recording? The Turrentine piece is rock solid. Percy France... where did he go? I can't find anything on the guy. He's on my Freddie Roach LP's but little else. Anything else worth checking out?

Newbie out.

Welcome spinlps.

Percy France has played on several albums by Lance Hayward including this one (from 1992):

http://www.towncrierrecordings.com/catalog/hayward.htm

You can catch a glimpse of your man on this Swiss site (in French as fits a France):

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/jazzhot/jazzyver8.html

Also I am sure that George Duvivier would not have liked to be confused with a Duvalier...