Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Newbie time:

Jimmy Smith - On the Sunny Side (BN LT) - Smith, Bailey, Burrell w Turrentine and Percy France. Just picked this up on Friday. Great stuff... but I guess it didn't pass BN standards when it was recorded. Is the LT the first (only?) release for these recording? The Turrentine piece is rock solid. Percy France... where did he go? I can't find anything on the guy. He's on my Freddie Roach LP's but little else. Anything else worth checking out?

Newbie out.

Welcome, spinlps.

If you also spin CD's, there's a Percy France CD on Endgame - The Percy France Trio: I Should Care - Engame 015 - with Dick Katz and bassist Jeff Fuller. It's rather poorly recorded, but Percy France and Dick Katz both play some very nice stuff. I play it now and again, so I guess it's recorded well enough for the music to come through.

I only know of one other Endgame release - by Dave Schildkraut - and Jeff Fuller plays on that one also, so perhaps he has a connection with Endgame. If you're interested in the Percy France, I know that it's available through Cadence.

This morning, I took a dip into some early jazz:

King Oliver - "The Great 1923 Gennetts" - Herwin 106. With Armstrong, Hardin, Dodds (Johnny and Baby), et al. Through a blizzard of static, one can hear greatness.

Then:

Wingy Manone- "Vol. I"- RCA Vintage Series LPV-563. I really like ole Wingy.

And:

Just received my birthday present:

7784.jpg

I read the threads on this LP set on this Board and others, and decided I would really like to have it. True Blue now has a substanital chunk of the Leeway family funds :rolleyes: But I thank my super-nice wife for buying it for me! :g Anyway, started off by listening to "Giant Steps" and it sounded fine to me. I love Coltrane's playing on his Atlantic albums. Looking forward to dipping into this frequently.

I've heard great things about those 45 rpms from Analogue Productions. Please let us know if the raves are warranted. I haven't sprung for any of these. I have most of the Monk LPs as original issues and have never felt any need to have them in another format, but the reviews have been superlative.

Thelonious Monk: Monk's Music (Analogue Productions 45 rpm)

Hmmmmmmm.....Any thoughts? Should I treat myself?

Very nice, Leeway! Enjoy the set, and I know you know you owe your wife. :D

I'll have to pay her back the best way I know how ;)

Another Lp from the "Heavyweight Champion" set tonight:

c476640komo.jpg

Reading this thread reminds me of all the titles I do not have, but want.

Ditto.

I also like it because it takes me through my collection when i see some of the artists and titles. Often i haven't listened to them in a while.

After the Sundazed thread, I went through my Dylan LPs and I'm playing At Budokan, which I haven't spun in quite a while.