• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thelonious Monk: Monk's Music (Analogue Productions 45 rpm)

Hmmmmmmm.....Any thoughts? Should I treat myself?

wolff - Sorry I didn't get back on this earlier.

I have a few Analogue 45's, and this is one that I feel was definitely worth the $.

It's in stereo, (not that important to me), but Steve Hoffman has captured the music here, and it sounds almost as fresh as when I first heard it in the mid sixties. That is important to me.

Last night was some Andrew Hill "Compulsion" and "Judgement"; 'nuff said before on these.

Then Archie Shepp's "Mama Rose" with Jasper van't Hof. The guys at the Penguin guide trash this album, but I like it, especially the opening tune "Contracts." It took me a little while to get used to the synthesizer sound on this one, but after gettting used to it, I think it's beautiful. I think Shepp's sax dances with the keyboards. They call this rendition of "Mama Rose" overblown, but I find it more compelling than that. True, it is delivered with a great deal of earnestness and passion, but I like that about it. I think often our jaded ears fail to hear this kind of thing in a truly open manner. The other day I was listening to Albert Ayler's "Music Is the Healing Force of the Universe" and I had much the same reaction. A little late-60s idealism to tramp down that 21st Century cynicism.

Edited by ajf67

f34995op4o1.jpg

When you hear Wes pluck those guitar strings, you realize why you listen to vinyl. :)

Drew, interesting coincidence, as I was auditioning the Shepp - van't Hof album this past Sunday. The concept was interesting, but after a quick (probably too quick) audition, I decided to pass on it. I might have been suffering from synthesizer allergy from my last exposure to synths on a Herbie Hancock's "Sextant" LP. But, after reading your comments, I willl try to give it another listen.

Dramatic gatefold cover-- King Crimson:

f1_1_b.JPG

d106679gd4i.jpg

Original vinyl Atlantic SD 19155.

From the track, "21st Century Schizoid Man"--

Death Seed blind man's greed

Poets starving children bleed

Nothing he's got he really needs

Twenty first century schizoid man"

Then:

blue%20note%20098_thumb.jpg

The Toshiba 10" reissue TOJJ-5068

Drew, I was intrigued by the concept of the Shepp album, as you are. I need to give it another listen. I merely had skipped thorugh it at the store where I spotted it.

Great bang for the vinyl buck:

bl8%20070_thumb.jpg

This has to be one of the WORST BN album covers. I still can't figure out what it's supposed to show or represent. But the music is fantastic, and the vinyl has excellent sound.

I think Rollins did some of his best work for BN, right up there with his Contemporary work. Tremendous line-up on these cuts; check out the drummers--Roach, Blakey, Philly Joe, and Elvin Jones. It made me think-- did Rollins ability draw such great musicians, or did these musicians inspire Rollins to greater heights? Compare to the band members he had later in his career (speaking pretty generally here); not so good, and Rollins playing was also not so good. Was Rollins playing adversely affected by lesser-quality sidemen? Or did a decline in his playing put off the A-level sidemen?

Excuse my fevered ramblings ^_^

Toshiba pressing of 'Little Johnny C'. A very fine session Duke Pearson indeed !

Yes indeed. I had mentioned something like this in the Artsist thread some time ago. There are a fair number of these "covert" Pearson sessions. The Coles session is, to my mind, Pearson's session all the way.

Johnny Hartman & the Andrew Hill Trio 1961 Live" (VGM 11)

I think there is some disagreement whether this should be considered a boot. Hartman sings four very short songs, and Hill stretches out on two much longer numbers. Going to have to listen to this again soon.

Was Rollins playing adversely affected by lesser-quality sidemen?  Or did a decline in his playing put off the A-level sidemen? 

Excuse my fevered ramblings  ^_^

Or did Rollins decide he didn't like sharing the spotlight? I certainly like some of his later work (This is What I Do has some very fine moments, though it probably never made it to vinyl), but I really, really wish he would have occasionally hooked up with A-level players who should have helped kick his playing up a notch.

Spinning one I haven't put on for a while: Giant Steps

Then I'm going to try some LPs I picked up at a new used LP store here in DC, Crooked beat Records on 18th St. For those in the area, you should check it out. Pretty good selection and decent prices.

Muhal Richard Abrams 1-OQA+19

Stanley Turrentine Another Story

Haydn: String trio in G, Op. 53 No.1

Faure: Dolly Suite for piano duet Op. 56 (the dynamics push my systen to the limit)

Brahms: Two songs for Contralto, piano and viola

Saint-Saens: Russian airs for flute, oboe, clarinet and piano

Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center

B000002KEG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Grateful Dead "Europe 72"- triple decker LP (CD version shown but same cover). What can I say? Typical Dead.

f78268vdclw.jpg

Unfortunately, due to post-election blues, I can't get into the spirit of the title :(

Riverside Records RP-12 286. A good album, but I like "Bags and Trane" a lot more.

There was a lot of talk recently on adjoining thread about the band, Yes. SO I pulled out a copy of "Tales from Topographic Oceans" and gave it a listen.

c85091rj7bo.jpg

Not sure I'm convinced. But after listening to it, I realized why heavy metal and punk HAD to come on the scene and make a rude noise ;)

Edited by Leeway