• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

cdcover.jpg

"SUGAR" - Stanley Turrentine- CTI

One of the more peculiar album covers, don't you think? Great if you have a foot fetish :lol:

This album would get more attention if it was on Blue Note. It was recorded at RVGs studio in 1979 and has more of a BN sound that the later CTI sound.

I like George Benson's playing on this album, tough and hip.

Great bang for the vinyl buck:

bl8%20070_thumb.jpg

This has to be one of the WORST BN album covers. I still can't figure out what it's supposed to show or represent. But the music is fantastic, and the vinyl has excellent sound.

Blue Note had a series of reissues with this same basic cover (with slight variations).

I have a Herbie Hancock and Dexter Gordon version of this.

f11678bg97o.jpg

Gil is like Mingus meets Bernstein-- Leonard Berstein, that is :P

And everytime I see this picture of Gil, I think of Pat Riley, former coach of the Lakers and, Knicks and Heat.

Side 2 of this Impulse! LP, of course, has Cecil Taylor, with Lyons, Shepp, et al-- smoking stuff :tup

Then some Ella on Verve:

SINGS THE DUKE ELLINGTON SONG BOOK, Vol. I

With Ben Webster, Oscar Peterson, Stuff Smith, and other all-stars.

No rhyme or reason here, on to some Bryan Ferry:

e0813803au9.jpg

Then some Neil Young:

f65589p4mxj.jpg

One of Neil's best, often moody, sometimes mellow, all backed up with some ferocious guitar work.

Blue Note had a series of reissues with this same basic cover (with slight variations).

Oh yeah, I know that-- They ALL have the same lousy cover. For some reason, the cover illustration always looks to me like a sample of broadloom carpet in close-up :lol: . I guess the reasoning was, "this si a cheap series, give the SOBs cheap covers" :rcry Still, they sound good.

Edited by Leeway

Today is Trane time, started with some Atlantics, it will end with Ascension.

Ascension? Nahh, my wife will kill me before that! :g

That's an awful lot of Trane, but great, great music. I've been totally digging my vinyl set of "Heavyweight Champion." I love Trane's Atlantic period. I also love the Village Vanguard set with Dolphy. Listening to the Trane Atlantic LPs in succession is akin to having a spirtual experience :wub:

Today is Trane time, started with some Atlantics, it will end with Ascension.

Ascension? Nahh, my wife will kill me before that!  :g

That's an awful lot of Trane, but great, great music. I've been totally digging my vinyl set of "Heavyweight Champion." I love Trane's Atlantic period. I also love the Village Vanguard set with Dolphy. Listening to the Trane Atlantic LPs in succession is akin to having a spirtual experience :wub:

Totally agree. "Heavyweight Championship" should have called "Spiritual trip"!

Another miscellaneous listening session:

f65686b4cv8.jpg

SAVOY BROWN-- "RAW SIENNA"-- Parrot LP, 1970. From the underbelly of the British Invasion ^_^

ba_1_b.JPG

Impulse A-5. I love Dolphy's subversive solos on this record. Also, Bill Evans is wonderful here, just as he is on "Kind of Blue," and it makes me wish he had played in such band settings more often. BTW, why should they have changed the cover illustration for the CD version?-- certainly a change for the worse.

c5627240980.jpg

Pablo LP.

e31125wbvry.jpg

Geffen Records, 1980. Released less than a month before Lennon was shot and killed (in Dec 1980), the back cover shows John and Yoko standing on what looks like Central Park West, perhaps near where Lennon was killed (?). A candid, and often lovely, album.

18_1_b.JPG

Gene Ammons & Sonny Stitt - Chess LP. Big, fat-toned, swinging tenor playing.

BTW, the liner notes by Nat Hentoff are pretty vague. NH states that these performances are from 1950-51. No mention of location(s). Also, no mention of the sidemen. Can anyone help on this?

Maybe we need to hang around Beldam (not Bedlam?) and Squalor more to find such great deals.

LOL. i didn't think anyone paid attention to the location. :lol:

FWIW. the LPs are scuff/scratch free. and the book(lette) that came with the set is in NM condition.

:wub: