What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Still working on this crap...

Decided to follow the Kenny Dorham as sideman theme today...

Played the Jordan's Starting Time this morning.

This afternoon has seen:

Oliver Nelson - Meet Oliver Nelson

Joe Henderson - Page One

Phil Woods - Pairing Off

Ernie Henry - Presenting Ernie Henry

More to come unless a stroke of inspiration hits anytime soon...

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sunday afternoon listening:

bluenote3%20027_1_thumb.jpg

Liberty pressing. Starts with one of those "Sidewinder" vamps-- one can get pretty tired of those. Blue Mitchell takes the trumpet spot usually occupied by Lee Morgan and does a fine job. I also like Jackie Mclean in the mix.

Another Blue Note:

blue%20note%20290_thumb_1.jpg

Liberty pressing. Sonny Clark on piano, IMO playing a little outside of what he normally did. Jackie wails nicely.

Then some rock-

d3807530111.jpg

Jefferson Airplane- "After Bathing at Baxter's" - RCA vinyl. There's room for argument, but I'm coming to the belief that JA ranks as the best American rock group.

If I told you the next jazz album was recorded in 1976, you'd probably think it has generous helpings of synthesizer, electric piano, and funky stuff-- and you'd be right ;) :

ef_1_b.JPG

Like cornd dogs, this stuff is an acquired taste. Help, I'm acquiring the taste :lol:

Mercury LP.

Edited by Leeway

Glad you're liking Charles Earland Leeway. Join the club!

I've got a few on tonight:

Warne Marsh How Deep, How High

Lee Konitz Spirits

Lee Konitz/ Warne Marsh Lee Konitz Meets Warne Marsh Again Live at Ronnie Scott's in 1976

and one I haven't played in a long time:

Sam Jones The Soul Society

King Pleasure: Golden Days (hifijazz) with Gerald Wiggins, Matther Gee, Harold Land and Teddy Edwards. The liner notes are helping me catch up on the philosophy PLANETISM, the ultimate 'ism. :rolleyes:

Webster and Edison: Wanted To Do One Together (Columbia/Classic Records) I think this is a great reissue. Webster and Sweets sound so real, natural, alive and present!

Edited by wolff

Then some rock- 

d3807530111.jpg

Jefferson Airplane-  "After Bathing at Baxter's" - RCA vinyl. There's room for argument, but I'm coming to the belief that JA ranks as the best American rock group.

That's one of my all-time favorite albums! And I would agree about JA being a great American band. I still have my vinyl versions of pretty much everything, too. :tup B-) :tup

It's hard for me to listen to them objectively since I've been a fan for so long, but I suspect that for a newbie to their music, they might sound a bit dated. Maybe that's why they're not usually mentioned in the top tier of rock bands.

BTW, the new series of CD reissues have been great - particularly this album. Did you notice the nice instrumental version of "Young Girl Sunday Blues" that starts at about 2:40 into the last track? (assuming you have the CD)

Edited by BFrank

Then some rock- 

d3807530111.jpg

Jefferson Airplane-  "After Bathing at Baxter's" - RCA vinyl. There's room for argument, but I'm coming to the belief that JA ranks as the best American rock group.

That's one of my all-time favorite albums! And I would agree about JA being a great American band. I still have my vinyl versions of pretty much everything, too. :tup B-) :tup

It's hard for me to listen to them objectively since I've been a fan for so long, but I suspect that for a newbie to their music, they might sound a bit dated. Maybe that's why they're not usually mentioned in the top tier of rock bands.

BTW, the new series of CD reissues have been great - particularly this album. Did you notice the nice instrumental version of "Young Girl Sunday Blues" that starts at about 2:40 into the last track? (assuming you have the CD)

Thanks for your appreciation of Jefferson Airplane. In my case, I was a fan, when both Grace Slick and I were considerably younger ;):D . But there was a fairly long period when I wasn't really listening to rock, at least "classic" rock. What rock I was hearing was through osmosis, from my daughters' listening: Radiohead, Weezer, Pavement, Sonic Youth, et al. BTW, I liked that stuff too.

Anyway, lately I've been pulling out the rock vinyl from my collection and giving it a new hearing. First of all, the vinyl sounds great. Second, I've been impressed with a number of groups, Jefferson Airplane being at the top of my list at the moment. Here's why: two powerful lead singers in Marty Balin and Grace Slick (Grace Slick just standing there is a pretty powerful plus ;) ); many strong songs; a good run of very, very good to great LPs; an energizing political consciousness; and an indefinable sense of being the band that really represented what was happening in the 60s and early 70s.

I don't think there were too many other groups that could put all that together. I suppose other contenders would include the Dead and CCR. Artists like Hendrix and Joplin have their own claims to fame, but, although they worked with bands, these functioned more like back-up bands than an real collective of musicians.

I don't have the CDs; at least, not until yesterday, when I used a $5.00 off coupon at Tower to pick up the remastered "Crown of Creation" with added tracks, out of curiosity about the sound, and about the extra traks. I need to audition this.

BTW, if you haven't seen the music DVD documentary, "Crown of Creation," check it out. Interviews with band members and many live, historic performances.

BTW, if you haven't seen the music DVD documentary, "Crown of Creation," check it out.  Interviews with band members and many live, historic performances.

Did you mean the DVD "Fly Jefferson Airplane"? I've heard a lot of good stuff about that recently released disk.

B0002WZTJI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Yup, that's it. Sorry, I got the title screwed up. I have had more than a few flubs this week of the kind. Must be working too hard :unsure: Freakin me out :alien:

Anyway, I like the DVD mostly for the live performances, but there are many good interview segments as well. The interviews do not probe too deeply; they just allow the band members to reminisce, interspersed with concert footage. Worth checking out (I rented it through Netflix).

Sticking with a few classics tonight.

Silver: Tokyo Blues

Morgan: Sidewinder

Smith: Back At The Chicken Shack

Played both stereo and mono versions for the hell of it. I'm in the minority in preferring the stereo versions.

After a fairly scary battle with my back, I'm up and dancin'... :)

Yup, that's it. Sorry, I got the title screwed up. I have had more than a few flubs this week of the kind. Must be working too hard :unsure: Freakin me out :alien:

Anyway, I like the DVD mostly for the live performances, but there are many good interview segments as well. The interviews do not probe too deeply; they just allow the band members to reminisce, interspersed with concert footage. Worth checking out (I rented it through Netflix).

Great!

I may have to actually BUY it! :o

Sticking with a few classics tonight.

Silver: Tokyo Blues

Morgan: Sidewinder

Smith: Back At The Chicken Shack

Played both stereo and mono versions for the hell of it. I'm in the minority in preferring the stereo versions.

After a fairly scary battle with my back, I'm up and dancin'... :)

I hope your dancing is nothing like Elaine's on "Seinfeld"-- that WOULD be scary :P

Just funnin ya. I hope your back is OK. Having been through some back problems myself (including one hospital stay many years ago), I can sympathize. I've learned how to keep back problems from flaring up, but it's a tricky business altogether.