• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I scored today. For two dollars I got the double album by Art Ensemble of Chicago "Urban Bushmen" and album I have been wanting for some time. A friend of mine has the album so I've heard it but I have not had it for myself. Not that it is rare, just that I have not picked it up yet.

Another score was for one dollar, a 1960 Modern Jazz Quartet album (a B- album, no skips) called "Patterns". What a sweet melancholy album that is.

Also listening to today on vinyl:

Bil Evans: Explorations

Sun Ra: Nubians of Plutonia

Don Ellis: Live at Monterey

Wayne Shorter: Juju

Chicago Underground Duo: 12 degrees of Freedom

Eric Dolphy: The Eric Dolphy Memorial Album

Tony Williams: Life Time

Edited by sonic1

Still enjoying Lee Konitz Meets Warne Marsh Again

Others tonight:

Muhal Richard Abrams Sightsong With Malachi Favors

Bobby Hutcherson Stick Up

and one I got off of E-Bay not too long ago but haven't given it a real listen yet:

The New York Art Quartet, self-titled album: ESP-1004.

Dark Side Of The Moon...MFSL...blah, but that's just me.

"BLAH" for DSOM? or "BLAH" for MFSL? or just BLAH. :unsure:

The MFSL is a killer pressing. Dead quite and great sound. Too bad the Japanese destroyed the presses/vinyl recipe that were used for these...or is that urban legend?

Blah, regarding the music..it's decent, but I'm continually amazed at the ink it still gets.

Listening to:

Weather Report: Heavy Weather(CBS half speed) sold it, so I'm burning it to CD.

Ellington/Hodges: Side By Side (Classic Records)

Blah, regarding the music..it's decent, but I'm continually amazed at the ink it still gets.

I have to agree with you on that. For example, I was checking out the Hoffman forum for a while (no longer) and it seemed as if everyone was obsessed with DSOM. Almost like a religious thing. It's weird. It's still a huge seller I believe.

I have to agree with you on that. For example, I was checking out the Hoffman forum for a while (no longer) and it seemed as if everyone was obsessed with DSOM. Almost like a religious thing. It's weird. It's still a huge seller I believe.

At a recent vinyl sale there was a guy there selling a whole incredible collection of Floyd vinyl, with pressings of every album in every country released (Argentinian first pressing DSOM anyone?). Incredible - I bought a German Columbia-EMI original of 'Piper At The Gates Of Dawn' plus a couple of other early ones. :tup

Apparently he was selling because his Mrs thought they were cluttering up the house.. ;)

Just spinning a Liberty of Frank Foster 'Manhattan Fever'. Nice late 60s session this one, some good Richard Wyands on piano. Possible future Conn (or Rare Groove)candidate?

I'm glad you mentioned Wyands. I just listened to him on my "Oliver Nelson "Screamin' the Blues" LP and another LP I played recently (darn, but I can't recll it at the moment :rolleyes: ) where his playing really caught my attention. Perhaps one of those "talents deserving of wider recognition"?

Just spinning a Liberty of Frank Foster 'Manhattan Fever'. Nice late 60s session this one, some good Richard Wyands on piano. Possible future Conn (or Rare Groove)candidate?

I'm glad you mentioned Wyands. I just listened to him on my "Oliver Nelson "Screamin' the Blues" LP and another LP I played recently (darn, but I can't recll it at the moment :rolleyes: ) where his playing really caught my attention. Perhaps one of those "talents deserving of wider recognition"?

Absolutely ! Fits extremely well into the soulfull groove on this session, indeed holds it all together. He's also on that Richard Williams 'New Horn In Town' I seem to recall. 'Screamin' The Blues' is a nice Nelson session, must track down a vinyl of that one. I have it on the Dolphy Prestige CD set though.