Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can't have enough Ike...  :wub:

Just giving Grant Green 'Am I Blue' Applause 1st pressing a spin..  ;)

??????????????? :blink:

First and last ! :D

Might actually be rarer now than the original BN pressing ;)

This was mentioned before, but some of the Applause pressings make viable subs for the real thing - until either the real thing turns up or the money for the real thing turns up ^_^

Coleman Hawkins All Stars (Prestige-Swingville/OJC).

Played this to check out Joe Thomas' later playing after reading the comments on the Tony Fruscella thread. To my ears, he lost some chops over the years, but chops aren't everything. His solos on "Cool Blue" and "Some Stretching" are worth listening to. However, Hawk's the main story on this LP.

g10020zhvt1.jpg

Contemporary/OJC. Best vinyl sound for the buck.

I wanted to hear some Benny Carter. He plays beautiful alto here, and some fine trumpet. Maybe I'm missing it, but it seems to me that Carter doesn't get anywhere near the attention he deserves. Joined on this LP by Ben Webster, Rosolino, Vinnegar, Kessel, Manne. Great lineup.

Edited by Leeway

I found a really interesting record the other day [pressed in 1959 on Sparton].

It's unusual in that it, apparently, was created in order to test the excellence of people's stereo systems.

The record is called "Persuasive Percussion".

It has a tracklist of familiar stuff, [Misirlou, I Surrender Dear, My Heart Belongs To Daddy, Japanese Sandman etc.] but each track is designed to use some aspect of your sound system, to test it.

This was back when everybody was wowed by how stereo could make sound jump from one set of speakers to the other. Each track tells you, on the detailed fold-out cover what quality you should be checking.

As the album's title suggests, there are lots of different percussion instruments, from regular drums, to congas, to a pretty impressive xylophone, as well as an organ and a guitar and chimes [they sound like wind-chimes].

It's really fun to listen to and the personel were:

Tony Mottola, Willie Rodriguez, Dick Hyman, Jack Lesberg, Teddy Sommer, Artie Marotti, Stanley Webb and Dominic Cortese.

Edited by patricia

George Crumb: Makrokosmos, Vol. 1

George Crumb:Music for a Summer Evening (Makrokosmos, vol. 3)

George Crumb:Ancient Voices of Children

George Crumb:Night of te Four Moons

George Crumb:Voice of the Whale

Edgard Varèse:Offrandes/Intégrales/Octandre/Ecuatorial

Spectrum:New American Music, Vol. II

Stefan Wolpe: Chamber Piece No. 1

George Rochberg: Serenata d'estate

Seymour Shifrin: Satires of Circumstance

Elliot Carter: String Quartets nos. 1 & 2

Stooges:st

U2: boy

Kinks: Give the People what they Want

Kinks: The Village Green Preservation Society

Anyone else into the Nonesuch records? Always awesome music, and still cheap (most of these records were about 4 dollars each in A+ condition).

Tonight's list:

John Handy Quintet/Quartet In The Vernacular

Cedar Walton Quartet Third Set From 1977, with Bob Berg on tenor, with Sam Jones and Billy Higgens. They play "Bolivia," which is a favorite Walton composition of mine, which I think originally appears on the LP of the group he led called Eastern Rebellion. Very catchy bass riff on that one and good recording of Jones throughout.

Phil Woods Rights of Spring 1961 date with a great lineup, including Curtis Fuller, Sahib Shihab, Tommy Flanagan and Julius Watkins.

Woody Shaw Night Music I bought his Mosaic earlier this year and I've been trying to hear more Shaw ever since. I haven't listened to this one enough to have a solid opinion yet. Recording and mastering was done by Malcolm Addey, who deserves all the kudos that come his way in the Mosaic thread on this board.

Charles Tolliver and Music Inc. The Ringer Just got this today and am looking forward to it.

Edited by ajf67

Tonight's list:

Cedar Walton Quartet  Third Set  From 1977, with Bob Berg on tenor, with Sam Jones and Billy Higgens.  They play "Bolivia," which is a favorite Walton composition of mine, which I think originally appears on the LP of the group he led called Eastern Rebellion.  Very catchy bass riff on that one and good recording of Jones throughout.

Charles Tolliver and Music Inc.  The Ringer  Just got this today and am looking forward to it.

I've got "First Set" which is quite good. It has "Ojos de Rojo" which is one of the better tunes on "Eastern Rebellion 2".

You're gonna LOVE "The Ringer". Tolliver is a special trumpet player and all his albums are worth tracking down.

Currently:

"Keyed In" - Joanne Brackeen w/Eddie Gomez & Jack DeJohnette.

Benny Golson Orchestra 'Stockholm Sojourn'. UK mono pressing on Stateside :tup . Interesting to see that Grachan Moncur III is in the lineup. Same arrangements were played by a UK band conducted by Golson and recorded for BBCTV on the same tour (great lineup on that one with Tubby Hayes, Ronnie Ross, Jimmy Deuchar etc.).

Also just listening to Don Wilkerson 'Elder Don' NY mono. Nothing earth-shaterring but throughly enjoyable stuff !

Edited by sidewinder