Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tonight's list:

Cedar Walton Quartet  Third Set  From 1977, with Bob Berg on tenor, with Sam Jones and Billy Higgens.  They play "Bolivia," which is a favorite Walton composition of mine, which I think originally appears on the LP of the group he led called Eastern Rebellion.  Very catchy bass riff on that one and good recording of Jones throughout.

Charles Tolliver and Music Inc.  The Ringer  Just got this today and am looking forward to it.

I've got "First Set" which is quite good. It has "Ojos de Rojo" which is one of the better tunes on "Eastern Rebellion 2".

You're gonna LOVE "The Ringer". Tolliver is a special trumpet player and all his albums are worth tracking down.

Currently:

"Keyed In" - Joanne Brackeen w/Eddie Gomez & Jack DeJohnette.

You're right about Tolliver. I liked it a lot.

And I figured there was a "First " and "Second" set on the Cedar Walton, but I don't have either. I like this group so I'll pick those up if and when I see them.

Sonic1:

Anyone else into the Nonesuch records? Always awesome music, and still cheap (most of these records were about 4 dollars each in A+ condition).

When I was buying records back in the 70s, Nonesuch was one of my favorite labels, mostly becuase it offered a huge amount of classical, mostly Baroque, music, at prices lower than the major labels. I did pick up some Crumb, Bolcom, etc, still have it, but haven't a clue where it is at the moment. Have to give it a spin; don't know if I can listen to that much Crumb seriatim.

Anyway, is Nonesuch still active?

g37969xtnhs.jpg

Liberty UA pressing, with "Van Gelder" in the dead wax. Part of the great LP vs CD comparo! ^_^

img_1207.jpg

Roy Eldridge "Rockin Chair" Polydor Japan pressing Mono. Fabulous trumpet player. Not news to anyone. Great sounding LP.

A little change of direction:

g26933bysvf.jpg

The Byrds, Roger McGuinn, Steppenwolf, The Electric Prunes, The Holy Modal Rounders (when was the last time you heard them?), And Fraternity of Man "Don't Bogart That Joint My Friend" :rolleyes: ).

Back to some jazz, and some of the ugliest humming/singing ever done at the keyboard:

f16920o9k0d.jpg

Keith Jarrett- "Shades"- w/ Dewey Redman, Charlie Haden, Paul Motian, and Guilherme Franco. Jarrett makes some godawful vocal noises. Don't know of Mr. Franco is to blame, but there is some very ineffective bits of percuission bells, something that sounds like a chime rack, which mostly get in the way of Redman, Haden, and Motian tearing it up.

Anyway, is Nonesuch still active?

Yup. They do a little of everything. They do Classical, Jazz, World Music, Popular Music (bands like Magnetic Feilds, Wilco, etc. Plus I think Brian Wilson's Smile is on nonesuch), and of course what they call New Music which I think is mostly their "thing".

I really like their 70s period though. Alas, like everyone else, I don't think they do vinyl anymore.

Edited by sonic1

The soundtrack from "Crossroads", which features Ry Cooder compositions and performances. Hokey film, [yet another variation of Faust ], great soundtrack for those who like Delta Blues.

Before that, one of my favourite Dixieland clarinet-players, the fabulous Pee Wee Russell on the two record set, "Pee Wee Russell and His Dixieland All Stars"

You haven't heard "Birth of the Blues", til you've heard Pee Wee's take on it.

This collection also features George Wettling on drums, as well as Buster Bailey, Vic Dickenson, Milt Hinton, Marty Napoleon and Rex Stewart.

Fine collection!!

Edited by patricia

Tonight's late night lineup:

Phil Woods More Live 1981 on Adelphi Records. I found this in a used LP store without a jacket, so I don't know the lineup.

Warne Marsh Live In Hollywood 1952 recording, with Hampton Hawes, Joe Mondragon and Shelly Manne. Xanadu Records.

Woody Shaw Night Music with Bobby Hutcherson on this one.

Phil Woods More Live 1981 on Adelphi Records. I found this in a used LP store without a jacket, so I don't know the lineup.

Lineup was the regular Phil Woods quartet at the time:

Phil Woods with Mike Melillo on piano, Steve Gilmore on bass and Bill Goodwin on drums!

Couple Eddie Costas spinning...

Just finishing:

- Sal Salvador 'Frivolous Sal' (Bethlehem/Polydor Japan reissue)

Brownie how's this one, I notice it's being reissued in Japna on CD . I'm on big Costa kick at present with the recent reappearance of a number of titles on Fresh Sounds.

Couple Eddie Costas spinning...

Just finishing:

- Sal Salvador 'Frivolous Sal' (Bethlehem/Polydor Japan reissue)

Brownie how's this one, I notice it's being reissued in Japna on CD . I'm on big Costa kick at present with the recent reappearance of a number of titles on Fresh Sounds.

It's excellent. One of Sal Salvador's best albums.

With Eddie Costa well featured on piano (side A of the vinyl) and vibes (side B). You won't be disappointed with that one!

Sound on that vinyl reissue was superb. Hope the CD's sound is just as good.

I know it' sbeen panned by about everyone, an with some justificaion, really, but thought I'd give it a spin anyway:

c519785659w.jpg

There are some terrific musicians on here--Hancock, Carter, Bobby Rosengardem RayBarretto, Grady Tate, Hubert Laws) , but they are lost in the wash of over-orchestrated arrangements. A Creed Taylor "production." This album is so mellow (or sporific if you prefer) they ought to make it mandatory listening to drivers on the DC area Beltway (a notoriously congested and aggressive roadway that encircles Washington, Dc, home to more type A personalities than anywhere else ^_^ ).

f16787vqal4.jpg

Milt Jackson with Hank Jones, Paul Chambers, Connie Kay. Impulse! Milt always has that bluesy, swinging sound.

I'm sure you folks will know what these two albums have in common?