What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

"Famous Blue Raincoat", the songs of Leonard Cohen, sung by Jennifer Warnes. The tracks are:

First We Take Manhatten

Bird on a Wire

Famous Blue Raincoat

Joan of Arc [Cohen guests in a duet]

Ain't No Cure For Love [my favourite on the album]

Coming Back To You

Song Of Bernadette

A Singer Must Die

Came So Far For Beauty

and, another interesting album:

"The Nightfly" Donald Fagen

"Dixieland Trumpet" by Louis Armstrong and Al Hirt

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Patricia, I really love that jennifer Warnes album. I haven't listened to it in a while. Her voice really works with the songs and the music is very well done. I like her version of "First We Take Manhattan" better than Cohen's. She does a great job with "Famous Blue Raincoat" also. But the whole things good. Thanks for reminding me of this one.

Patricia,  I really love that jennifer Warnes album.  I haven't listened to it in a while.  Her voice really works with the songs and the music is very well done.  I like her version of  "First We Take Manhattan" better than Cohen's.    She does a great job with "Famous Blue Raincoat" also.  But the whole things good.  Thanks for reminding me of this one.

You're welcome. I found this album, quite by accident. Cohen is a Canadian national treasure and, you're right, Warnes' voice is much better suited to his compositions. Fine album.

Edited by patricia

c9_1.JPG

"Billie Holiday on Verve 1946-1959" - Verve Japan, 10 LP box set, Mono. A great collection on quality pressings with excellent sound. Listening to Sides 7 & 8, a session from 1955, with Benny Carter, Sweets Edison, Barney Kessel, Jimmy Rowles, Larry Bunker.

then on of Billie's old friends:

"Pres: Lester Young and His Orchestra"-

with John Lewis, Hank Jones, Buddy Rich, Ray Brown, Gene Ramey. Polydor Verve Japan. Sweet.

Edited by Leeway

I have a lot of CDs, but I am starting to think that the only way to really listen to jazz is on vinyl. It just seems so RIGHT, know what I mean? Even the little staticky parts on the vinyl :) The vinyl sounds better, more ALIVE. I love that quality, as welll as the larger art work, the record label, and all that glorious vinyl. :wub:

And the scales falleth from his ears and he truly becomes one of us. We too listen to CD's, but jazz is indeed better on vinyl.

Blessings upon you, my son and upon your household.:wub:

I have a lot of CDs, but I am starting to think that the only way to really listen to jazz is on vinyl.  It just seems so RIGHT, know what I mean?  Even the little staticky parts on the vinyl  :)    The vinyl sounds better, more ALIVE.  I love that quality, as welll as the larger art work, the record label, and all that glorious vinyl.  :wub:

And the scales falleth from his ears and he truly becomes one of us. We too listen to CD's, but jazz is indeed better on vinyl.

Blessings upon you, my son and upon your household.:wub:

Fortunately, I have a lot of vinyl too ;):g

The Best Of Earl Grant.

This is a two record set which has stuff from the jazz classics such as How High The Moon?, Tuxedo Junction, Satin Doll and Ruby, as well as newer material like People, Jamaica Farewell Song and Fever. Nice.

No personel list, but the drummer is also superb!

Edited by patricia

c9_1.JPG

"Billie Holiday on Verve 1946-1959" - Verve Japan, 10 LP box set, Mono. 

Interesting, I have this as well, but my box is blue instead of gray. Any differences between the two?

Seeing that box lead me back to my Speakers Corners reissue of Ella's Gershwin Songbook. Now THAT's a reissue!!! I've got the DSM prints framed and hanging in my listening room.

So far this morning:

Joe Henderson - Mirror Mirror (PAUSA) Corea's piano really draws me into this session, moreso than on his own releases

Donald Byrd - Getting Down to Business (Landmark) Another Joe Henderson session...

Stanley Turrentine - Mr. Natural (BN LT Series) Not bad, but not great considering Morgan & Tyner sit in.

Curtis Counce: Vol. 1 - Landslide (OJC) Really Harold Land's show to my ears.

Thad Jones - The Magnificent Thad Jones (United Artists) Totally into Mr. Jones lately... some sort of special synergy between his BN recordings, the electronics and my room for sure.

Spirituals Paul Robeson [bass baritone the label helpfully tells me :rolleyes: ]

Imagine what he could have done, had he chosen to perform jazz.

The Latin Sound of Henry Mancini

The Wildroot Orchestra, a Vancouver band from the late seventies, early eighties.

My favourite title on the album is "Dave, You're So Suave". [it's a novelty thing, rhyming every line with "Dave", so You're so suave becomes "Dave, you're so swayve". It's kind of a do-wop thing. Catchy. Reminds me of the songs by the Shirelles.:P

But, kidding aside, this is a top drawer band and the album has a great version of Mancini "Peter Gunn" theme.

Edited by patricia

c9_1.JPG

"Billie Holiday on Verve 1946-1959" - Verve Japan, 10 LP box set, Mono. 

Interesting, I have this as well, but my box is blue instead of gray. Any differences between the two?

Seeing that box lead me back to my Speakers Corners reissue of Ella's Gershwin Songbook. Now THAT's a reissue!!! I've got the DSM prints framed and hanging in my listening room.

My box is blue too, with a big ole OBI strip on it too. I grabbed this picture off the net; I think it's the lighting of the photograph that gives it a different shade.

West Coast night:

'The Chico Hamilton Trio' with George Duvivier and Jim Hall/Howard Roberts. A UK Vogue pressing of the Pacific Jazz original.

To be followed up with selections from 'Jazz West Coast' Vols 2-5 on Pacific Jazz/World Pacific and the 'Bud Shank & Bob Brookmeyer With Strings' 10" LP, again on UK Vogue.

Edited by sidewinder

"Dinah '63" Dinah Washington

This record was scruffy-looking and dusty when I found it yesterday for $1 at my favourite second hand store. The cover looked as if it had been used, many times for a coaster. But, undeterred, I simply ran the disc under hot water, dried it with a lint-free cloth and...voila!!

Dinah's voice was totally grand and this record is no exception. Fine!!

Edited by patricia

Listening to some of the 20 LPS of the Djangologie series that were issued by Pathe France a couple of decades ago.

Now listening to one of my favorite from the series: volume 2 that includes brilliant tunes like 'Sweet Chorus' and 'Tears'. The 1937 version of this Grapelly/Reinhardt composition is way much better than the later (1940) version by the Django's Music Big Band! That one is included in volume 11. Will work up that one later this weekend.