• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

An odd little album, Yehudi Menuhin and Stephane Grappelli violins Tea For Two.

The track list is:

Crazy Rhythm

The Man I Love

Tea For Two

Highgate Village [a Grappelli composition]

Air On A Shoestring

A Foggy Day

Viva Vivaldi

My Funny Valentine

Adelaide Eve [another Grappelli composition. Nice.]

Thou Swell

Yesterdays

Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea

The personel on the album are:

John Etherdidge on guitar

Jan Blok on rhythm guitar

Pierre Michelot on bass

Ronnie Verrell on drums

Laurie Holloway on piano, harpsicord and woodwind ensemble.

This album does all the numbers in the style of the Hot Jazz bands of the twenties and thirties, notably the Quintet of the Hot Jazz Club in France, which was led by Django Reinhardt, and is amazingly good.

It does have a certain classical feel to it, but it DOES swing! :tup:tup

The album was recorded in 1978 on Angel.

Edited by patricia

Little change of pace for me:

Bobby Darin: Darin At The Copa on Atco. Totally swinging set.

I love that record too.

You might want to check out the bio which stars Kevin Spacey as Darin, "Beyond The Sea". Spacey, if you can believe it, is more Darin than Darin. Worthwhile seeing. It was eerie how Spacey almost seemed to be channelling Darin in the musical sections and there are many.

I listened to Lennie Hibbert's Creation (Studio One, 1969) two times in a row last night and three the night before. It's a very very interesting record. Lennie is/was a vibist in Jamaica who was on the scene before the ska/rocksteady/reggae thing broke. Here he plays ten numbers, mostly originals, with instrumental backing featuring Jackie Mittoo among others.

Moods shift in a strange yet ultimately graceful way from (pre-)Afro Beat to US-inspired soul, down-tempo Alxelrod bangers to rocksteady; all the while reminding me of both Count Ossie's Mystical Revelation and early (i.e. 50's) Sun Ra.

And this is to say nothing for the brilliant artwork....

Patricia - interesting to see 'Highgate Village' as a title in this context. Many years ago as a student I lived in this very area of London - indeed on the same street as Yehudi Menuhin, who I would on occasions walk past (he was at the far end of the road from my own abode). No doubt Yehudi's home was the inspiration for this number.

Patricia - interesting to see 'Highgate Village' as a title in this context. Many years ago as a student I lived in this very area of London - indeed on the same street as Yehudi Menuhin, who I would on occasions walk past (he was at the far end of the road from my own abode). No doubt Yehudi's home was the inspiration for this number.

Highgate Village is, indeed, a beautiful composition. The pairing of Grappelli with Menuhin was genius!!!

From the liner notes:

"A contribution from the pen of Grappelli - no doubt dedicated to the locale where he and Menuhin first met. This slow romantic theme is superbly interpreted by Menuhin with sensitive accompaniment from Grapelli, whose capabilities as pianist are confirmed by his second-chorus solo. The theme then alternates between violin and piano, ending with a delicate final phrase in thirds by Menuhin."

Edited by patricia

Getting some excercise......

A couple of old Blue Note 45's (7"):

Baby Face Willette: Goin Down part1/ part 2

Jay Jay Johnson: Groovin'/ Pennies From Heavin

Donald Byrd: Amen/ Fuego

Freddie Roach: Mo' Greens Please!/ Blues In the Front Room

I need about 200 more of these and a modified juke box. :)

Edited by wolff

Getting some excercise......

A couple of old Blue Note 45's (7"):

Baby Face Willette:  Goin Down part1/ part 2

Jay Jay Johnson:  Groovin'/ Pennies From Heavin

Donald Byrd: Amen/ Fuego

Freddie Roach: Mo' Greens Please!/ Blues In the Front Room

I need about 200 more of these and a modified juke box. :)

I'm assuming that you put these discs on your turntable, one at a time. Remember those record-players which played only '45's? They had a fat spindle and worked much the same way as the skinny spindles that automatically drop [ :excited: ] the next disc, right on top of the just-played one. The same thing happens as happens with LP's. If you can find an old jukebox, that would be the solution, I would think.:D I used to be facinated by the mechanics of them and by how only the edges were handled by the arm that selected and played them.

I have ONE plastic adapter for my few '45's, which I use to play them.

Edited by patricia