Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been playing three new acquisitions:

Somethin' Else, Cannonball Adderley (Classic Records 200gm mono reissue)

"Autumn Leaves" b/w "Alison's Uncle," Cannonball Adderley (Classic Records 200gm 45rpm stereo 12-inch)

Hank Mobley (Classic Records 200gm mono reissue)

Thumbs up on all three. I'd never heard this Mobley album before, and I really like it!

g56379d74cm.jpg

Buck Hill Quartet- SCOPE

SteepleChase Records 1979.

Buck Hill was known as the "wailin' mailman," as he kept his day job as a postal worker in Washington DC, while he played tenor gigs at night. Hill was supposedly a favorite of Sonny Stitt. This is a pretty good album; all the tracks were written by Hill. Excellent sidemen: Kenny Barron, Buster Williams, Billy Hart. "The Sad Ones" is a particularly good ballad. A sort of DC-area Von Freeman. My candidate for "most-overlooked" tenor.

c031868b99v.jpg

Verve. Evans, with Peacock and Motian.

Edited by Leeway

Teddy Edwards 'Nothin' But The Truth!' (Prestige) with Walter Davis, Paul Chambers, Billy Higgins plus Montego Joe and a guitar player Phil Orlando who does not seem to have appeared on any other record dates!

Next:

Buck Hill Quartet 'Impressions' (SteepleChase) with Reuben Brown, Wilbur Little and Billy Hart

e97252xhodf.jpg

Dizzy Reece- BLUES IN TRINITY - Blue Note

Haven't checked this out, but this must be one of the few Blue Notes not recorded by RVG and not recorded in the United States (I'm excluding the pre-RVG era and the post-Liberty era recordings). Were Reece's other Blue Notes recorded in London, like this one was, or were they recorded Stateside. Don't have them handy to check. How many other Blue Notes were recorded in London?

This one with Tubby Hayes and Donald Byrd.

f86314bm0s5.jpg

You can hear a lot of Shorter's later work in this album. With Freddie Hubbard, James Spaulding, Grachan Moncur III, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, and Joe Chambers.

Leeway,

The Blues In Trinity album was recorded in Paris, not London and RVG was the engineer. The rest of the Reece BN's were done at Rudy's place.

One date that comes to mind that was done outside the US during your time frame was the Kenny Clarke-Francy Boland Golden Eight lp which was done in Germany. Although he was not the recording engineer, RVG did master the date for BN.

Then ofcourse there were the Ornette's done in Stockholm.

e97252xhodf.jpg

Dizzy Reece- BLUES IN TRINITY - Blue Note

Haven't checked this out, but this must be one of the few Blue Notes not recorded by RVG and not recorded in the United States (I'm excluding the pre-RVG era and the post-Liberty era recordings). Were Reece's other Blue Notes recorded in London, like this one was, or were they recorded Stateside. Don't have them handy to check. How many other Blue Notes were recorded in London?

This one with Tubby Hayes and Donald Byrd.

f86314bm0s5.jpg

You can hear a lot of Shorter's later work in this album. With Freddie Hubbard, James Spaulding, Grachan Moncur III, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, and Joe Chambers.

I listened to these records yesterday as well. Both are easily among my all-time favorites. Especially the tunes "Mephistopheles" and "Blues in Trinity". :tup

Hope all is well in DC,

-- B

Leeway,

The Blues In Trinity album was recorded in Paris, not London and RVG was the engineer. The rest of the Reece BN's were done at Rudy's place.

One date that comes to mind that was done outside the US during your time frame was the Kenny Clarke-Francy Boland Golden Eight lp which was done in Germany. Although he was not the recording engineer, RVG did master the date for BN.

Then ofcourse there were the Ornette's done in Stockholm.

Wasn't 'Blues In Trinity' recorded in North London and not Paris? The story was that Tony Hall (producer) put out the Paris story as subterfuge in light of the Musicians Union ban on Americans recording in Britain at that time.