• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Big" John Patton

Along Came John (Toshiba/EMI)

The Way I Feel (original stereo)

Got A Good Thing Goin' (original mono)

and Lee Morgan: Live At The Lighthouse..Always a pleasure to listen to this original double LP. I love the recording/mastering. Huge, seemless, accurate sound. I feel like I'm about 3 tables from the stand. If you want an audiophile LP that actually is one, give it a try. Other recordings sound sick after listening to this one.

Edited by wolff

Yep, that Lee Morgan 'Lighthouse' LP set is always a huge pleasure. The CD set is great for having all of the music but the LP set has the 'presence'. Cue to dig out my Teutonic version later today !  :wub:

Apropos of Teutonic versions. ^_^

I'm listening to The Roger Kellaway Trio at the moment. It's a german SABA issue - superb pressing and sound quality. :wub:

SABA (Villigen, Schwarzwald) had produced lots of great original Prestige (et al) releases.

Mingus Bethlehem sessions spinning at the moment.

'East Coasting' and 'A Modern Jazz Symposium of Music and Poetry'

Both mono deepgrove originals and recorded in 'micro cosmic sound', whatever that is.. :huh:

'East Coasting' is one hell of an album. Great cameo appearance by Bill Evans on piano. According to the writeup in Brian Priestley's 'Mingus' bio, he was asked to participate the night before this session. Unbelievable !

Edited by sidewinder

SABA (Villigen, Schwarzwald) had produced lots of great original Prestige (et al) releases.

Just received and put on a Saba pressing of Sonny Stitt's POW! - there are some on eBay Germany right now.

Bidding on a Don Patterson ... these pressings are far superior to the US ones, but the recording Prestige favoured in the 1960's is pretty flat.

JOHN COLTRANE "Ascension" (Impulse stereo, "version 1")

The great thing about the more avantgarde Coltrane's recordings is that you can find pristine original pressings, maybe the previous owners did not listen at them very often. :D

Edited by porcy62

After looking at the Uptown disco some of the guys are putting together i pulled out a few that i have not listened to in awhile.

One Of A Kind-Don Joseph. Al Cohn is his usual badass self here.

To Tad With Love-Philly Joe Jones

For The Moment-Barry Harris Trio Live date

Claudio!-Claudio Roditi featuring Slide Hampton

Hod O'Brien-Bits And Pieces

MILES' THE MAN WITH A HORN

Gorgeous collection!!!! Enjoy.

On my turntable, "Jazz Spectrum", a compilation on Curcio I Giganti Del Jazz. It features amazing live perfomances.

Side I

Dizzy Gillespie Quartet - Be Bop

Sarah Vaughan, backed by Dizzy singing a terrific version of "Embraceable You"

Dizzy's kick-ass take on "My Heart Belongs To Daddy". WOW!!

Dizzy's Big Band - Things To Come

Side II

Miles Davis Quintet - Milestone

Charlie Mingus and His Sextet - Pithecanthropus Erectus

Now, this collection has NO liner notes, but all the tracks are live performances, where the pulse of the audience is clearly heard. Not in an annoying way though, but as if I were listening to the performances among like-minded jazz-addicts. Wonderful!!! Sassy at her best, IMO. Everybody on the album are bursting with energy and creativity. This is one of my favourite collections and this was a low-end, from a cost perspective, release.

We want the greats to live forever and, with their music they do. Jimmy's music was one of the reasons I turned to jazz and his version of "Walk On The Wild Side" is the best one ever recorded.

I will spin "The Sermon" first, then the "Walk On The Wild Side" collection.

One by one, the greats leave us..................... :wub:

Edited by patricia