What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Savoy Reissue Series ( :excited: ) 2LP set. 'The Trumpet Album' - arranged and conducted by Ernie Wilkins. With Shorty Baker, Donald Byrd, Ray Copeland, Art Farmer, Ernie Royal, Charlie Shavers, Idrees Sulieman and Joe Wilder. A snip at £5, mint copy !

To be followed by Vols 2, 3 and 4 of 'Xanadu at Monteux' and Anthony Braxton 'The Complete Braxton' on Alan Bates' Freedom label.

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some vinyl I took out of the shelf, planning to play over the next few weeks (I seldom play my LPs, but there's some real nice ones that - only because they're LPs - are getting much too little air time):

- Farmer/Golson: Another Git Together (Japanese reissue)

- Art Farmer: "live" at the half-note (old-looking Atlantic*)

- Art Farmer: To Sweden with Love (old-looking Atlantic*)

- Eddie Bert: Musician of the Year (Savoy, RCA reissue from 1985)

- Teddy Edwards/Howard McGhee: Young at Heart (Storyville)

- Bud Shank: Live at the Haig (see more here)

- Tenors West: Jimmy Giuffre with the Marty Paich Octet (GNP 1977**)

- Fru'n Brew: Tony Fruscella & Brew Moore (Spotlite)

- Sal Salvador feat. Eddie Costa: Tribute to the Greats (Bethlehem, Freshsound reissue)

- Curtis Fuller: Blues-ette (Savoy, RCA reissue from 1984)

* how to check if these are original pressings? Not that I care all that much, but I have the LPs at hand and the knowledgeable people here...

** was that the original release? Or did that come out earlier?

ubu

Edited by king ubu

ubu

This was originally released by Gene Norman Presents under Marty Paich's name. First a ten-incher, then a twelve-incher. Both in the '50s.

It was also released as 'Tenors West' if I remember right.

It was reissued in the late '70s as by Giuffre/Paich when Giuffre became 'famous' :g

ubu

This was originally released by Gene Norman Presents under Marty Paich's name. First a ten-incher, then a twelve-incher. Both in the '50s.

It was also released as 'Tenors West' if I remember right.

It was reissued in the late '70s as by Giuffre/Paich when Giuffre became 'famous' :g

Thanks! But... Giuffre famous? How could that happen?

* how to check if these are original pressings? Not that I care all that much, but I have the LPs at hand and the knowledgeable people here...

ubu

Should be the Atlantic blue/green label I think (mid-1960s). Green and red label would be a 1970s reissue.

Thanks! But... Giuffre famous? How could that happen?

The smiley was an indication of an ironic statement. Giuffre should have been famous. It's unfortunate he was not. But at least to the GNP people, his name was a better attraction than Marty Paich;

About those Art Farmer/Jim Hall Atlantic, I have an original mono of the superb Live at the Half-Note. The label is the regular orange and purple of the time, with a white band through the center. That white band features a fan logo on its right side. Those Atlantic originals are known as 'fan' (likewise some Columbia originals were known as 'six-eye' to refer to the Columbia label logos of the time). Orange and purple labels were for Atlantic monos. Stereos were green and blue.

Now somebody correct me if I'm wrong!

ubu

Should be the Atlantic blue/green label I think (mid-1960s). Green and red label would be a 1970s reissue.

"Half Note" is blue-green, "Sweden" is orange-purple. So I guess I have a mono original of "Sweden" and a stereo original of "Half Note", yes? WAY COOL! I guess those are - besides maybe the Shelly Manne "3,4,5" and a mono "Love Supreme" that is pretty beat up - my only original LPs!

brownie, I should have added some smiley, too...

Now my "2,3,4": organge center, black around, with four times each the i! (black on white, in squares) and four times impulse! in between (i and ! again white, mpulse oragne). Product fo AM-PAR Record Corp, Printed in USA.

That looks like an original, too? Got it for free (in some trade with a guy at that record shop - it was labelled with the equivalent of 30 Euros).

Duke Ellington Newport 1958- white label 6 eye- bought today for £1. looks very scuffed but it plays really pretty quiet- bargain I reckon.

also got a Sammy Price LP recorded in paris 1956( reissue from mid 80s )with Emmett Berry and Guy Lafitte- going on next.

Milt Jackson and Lucky Thompson on a London Records album called Jackson'sville which seems to have been a Savoy release in the USA. Great stuff, Nows the Time, In a Sentimental Mood, Mood Indigo, Azure plus a couple of Milt's own compositions. Thompson is just wonderful.

That Shelly Manne Impulse is an original vinyl. You sure got a good deal on that one! Very good album too!

I sure love the music on it! Can't go wrong with Hawk and Eddie C.!

It's a bit beat up, though. Got it in trade for a live tape I had done for the guy at that shop - he said I should choose any one item there... saw that and it was clear what to take!

That Shelly Manne Impulse is an original vinyl. You sure got a good deal on that one! Very good album too!

I sure love the music on it! Can't go wrong with Hawk and Eddie C.!

It's a bit beat up, though. Got it in trade for a live tape I had done for the guy at that shop - he said I should choose any one item there... saw that and it was clear what to take!

I have a very clean original vinyl of this and have loved it for many years, especially the unique version of Cherokee in which Hawk and the rhythm section are cooking in different tempos.

Cecil Taylor: Spring of Two Blue-J's (Unit Core)

Then some reggae I hadn't listened to in years:

Ethiopian & Gladiators: Dread Prophecy (Nighthawk)

The Gladiators: Symbol of Reality (Nighthawk)

They may have been a couple of blues fans, but Bob Schoenfeld and Leroy Pierson sure produced some fine reggae sides.

Billy Higgins/Dave Holland/Hank Jones 'Interface' (Serious Productions)

Found this recently. The album was also issued on CD as 'The Oracle' on EmArcy.

Did not know it was also released as a vinyl. The LP comes inside a Mosaic-size box. It was obviously a limited edition that seems to have been issued for Philip Morris Europe people.