• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That Shelly Manne Impulse is an original vinyl. You sure got a good deal on that one! Very good album too!

I sure love the music on it! Can't go wrong with Hawk and Eddie C.!

It's a bit beat up, though. Got it in trade for a live tape I had done for the guy at that shop - he said I should choose any one item there... saw that and it was clear what to take!

I have a very clean original vinyl of this and have loved it for many years, especially the unique version of Cherokee in which Hawk and the rhythm section are cooking in different tempos.

Spinning this again and... it's almost perfectly clean! Wow! Memory sure played some tricks here! I thought it was all crackles and pops, but it sounds very very good! Love Hawk's sound! Must be some of the best late Hawk on this LP!

The Farmer at Half Note, now on side 2. This doesn't sound that good. I assume it's not my LP (in ok-good shape, not perfect), but rather the original live recording. Just sounds flat... The music is very nice, though!

That unfortunately happened pretty often with the Atlantic albums. Many of their masterings were not up to par with what was being produced at other labels (BN, Prestige, Contemporary among the non-majors)!

The Farmer at Half Note, now on side 2. This doesn't sound that good. I assume it's not my LP (in ok-good shape, not perfect), but rather the original live recording. Just sounds flat... The music is very nice, though!

That unfortunately happened pretty often with the Atlantic albums. Many of their masterings were not up to par with what was being produced at other labels (BN, Prestige, Contemporary among the non-majors)!

My vinyl reissue sounded pretty awful. But the Collectables cd isn't that bright either. Presumably it's down to the source tape.

My vinyl reissue sounded pretty awful. But the Collectables cd isn't that bright either. Presumably it's down to the source tape.

Seems so, yes.

Now spinning the mono "To Sweden with Love". Sounds a bit brighter, but not much. Both are very subdued albums. Jim Hall is sublime! The man was all over the place, in the fifties with Giuffre and Chico, then in the sixties with Hall and Rollins, wow!

Now playing: Gil Mellé: Tome VI

Strange and beautiful music!

The sidemen: Forrest Westbrook (p), Benfaral Matthews (b), Fred C. Stoffett (d) are all playing wierd electronic instruments, as does Mellé (who's sticking to soprano, otherwise). The sidemen are all unknown to me, anyone knows anything they did before or after this LP?

And the album has a black label with silver-grey T (Verve V6-8744 Stereo). Assume it's original, too, but there's a hole through the cover, so it's a review copy, I guess). Rare one? Can't remember what I paid for it, but not more than for a full-priced CD, I think.

ubu

Hogmanay?  Que?

Whatever, sounds fun to me!  :tup

:D British term for New Year's Eve. My mother was Scottish/Norwegian, growing up in Edinburgh. The Scottish also have a tradition called "first footing", which is a reference to the first person who crosses your threshold in the New Year being an indication of the direction the coming months will take. Apparently, a dark-haired person is the luckiest. :wub::blink:

Anybody's version of "That Old Time Rock 'N Roll" does the same thing at any New Years' wingdings I've attended. :)

Edited by patricia

Coming close to the end of side two of "Blowin' in from Chicago". Almost forgot how great this one is, it's been so long! Blakey is terrific, too, in addition to the two tenors. I have a few of these Connoisseur vinyls and love them all (Cherry Symphony, Walter Davis, Ready for Freddie, Ornette Fox Hole, plus Curtis Amy's Katanga).

ubu

The sidemen: Forrest Westbrook (p), Benfaral Matthews (b), Fred C. Stoffett (d) are all playing wierd electronic instruments, as does Mellé (who's sticking to soprano, otherwise). The sidemen are all unknown to me, anyone knows anything they did before or after this LP?

And the album has a black label with silver-grey T (Verve V6-8744 Stereo). Assume it's original, too, but there's a hole through the cover, so it's a review copy, I guess). Rare one? Can't remember what I paid for it, but not more than for a full-priced CD, I think.

ubu

That is a quite a rare one, YRH, so rare that I can't even find my copy in the racks ( ;) ) as we speak. Wonderful album too, possibly my favourite Melle. The description you give is absolutely identical to mine, including the cut-out hole in the cover. Indeed I saw another one at a record fair recently in exactly the same state.

I think I paid about 20 to 25 euros for it over in Germany, so it was a good deal !

Wasn't there a post some time ago on this board saying that the poster (can't remember who it was) had actually sold a copy to Gil Melle, who at that point didn't even have that album?

Edited by sidewinder

ubu

That is a quite a rare one, YRH, so rare that I can't even find my copy in the racks ( ;) ) as we speak. Wonderful album too, possibly my favourite Melle. The description you give is absolutely identical to mine, including the cut-out hole in the cover. Indeed I saw another one at a record fair recently in exactly the same state.

I think I paid about 20 to 25 euros for it over in Germany, so it was a good deal !

Wasn't there a post some time ago on this board saying that the poster (can't remember who it was) had actually sold a copy to Gil Melle, who at that point didn't even have that album?

I remember seeing a number of copies of that album selling for peanuts not too long after its release. Probably one of Verve's worst selling vinyl.

Ubu, the hole through the cover was drilled when Verve tried to get rid of the copies of their overstock. Same thing happened to a lot of albums that were slow sellers. Many companies did the same.

Lot of great stuff was available thus as heavily discounted prices.

This was before your time!

Edited by brownie

Ubu, the hole through the cover was drilled when Verve tried to get rid of the copies of their overstock. Same thing happened to a lot of albums that were slow sellers. Many companies did the same.

Oh, I can't argue against that :)

Is that were the expression "cut-out" comes from?

How about the Randy Weston I mentioned above - was it ever on CD? (Maybe in Japan?)

Hogmanay?  Que?

:D British term for New Year's Eve. My mother was Scottish. They also talk about "first footing", which is a reference to the first person who crosses your threshold in the New Year being an indication of the direction the coming months will take. Apparently, a dark-haired person is the luckiest. :wub::blink:

Anybody's version of "That Old Time Rock 'N Roll" does the same thing at any New Years' wingdings I've attended. :)

Hey Patricia,

Thanks for the info. B-) Hey, I've already learned something today! :tup

How about the Randy Weston I mentioned above - was it ever on CD? (Maybe in Japan?)

Yes, YRH, there is a Japanese cd, which I picked up a few weeks back. It's been a while, but I recal diggin' it the couple times I spun it... :tup

In good old vinyl days, the record companies would make albums out of print -mostly to clear their stocks - and would drill a hole through copies or indent the seam or make a cut through one of the top corners of the albums.

Those cut-outs would be sold with a discount.

Hogmanay?  Que?

:D British term for New Year's Eve. My mother was Scottish. They also talk about "first footing", which is a reference to the first person who crosses your threshold in the New Year being an indication of the direction the coming months will take. Apparently, a dark-haired person is the luckiest. :wub::blink:

Hey Patricia,

Thanks for the info. B-) Hey, I've already learned something today! :tup

You're welcome, Scott. I edited my comment to reflect Mother's dual Scottish/Norwegian heritage. Both cultures are loaded to the gills with odd little quirks. Both know how to celebrate in grand style. :D

On my turntable now:

"Carol Channing Entertains", a two record set. I'm not a huge Channing listener, but was intrigued by this collection.

She does some standards, such as "Ain't Misbehavin' " and "Bye Bye Blackbird" and a few, like the song from "Hello Dolly", "Elegance" that are quite interesting.

She doesn't have the greatest voice, but she's not bad and at least on vinyl I don't have to keep wondering why she almost never blinks. :blink:

But, to be fair, this was recorded at the beginning of her career, before she became a characature of herself.

What's interesting about the album at the outset is that there is a full-size biographical booklet, with text and several photographs, bound into the album, with an interview with Channing about the production of the album. I've never seen that done before. Usually when booklets are included, they are separate from the album.

Edited by patricia

Thanks for your insight, ye olde guys! B-)

I have some LPs with small cuts on one side of the cover, too (similar as the things they "saw" into CD cases sometimes). Never bought LPs with cut-off corners, though I could have, but I like my discs and LPs to look at least halfway good...

ubu