What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Thanks for your insight, ye olde guys! B-)

I have some LPs with small cuts on one side of the cover, too (similar as the things they "saw" into CD cases sometimes). Never bought LPs with cut-off corners, though I could have, but I like my discs and LPs to look at least halfway good...

ubu

I've bought LPs with cut-off corners but never if the cut off is on the spine, only if the cut corner was on the open end of the jacket. I at least want my LPs to look "whole" while viewing the spines on the record shelves. I have to admit that even though I've bought such LPs in the past due to monetary considerations, my heart always sunk a bit whenever I saw a cut corner rather than a tiny drill hole, thinking "why do they have to mutilate the product in order to mark it for discount?"

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I never saw albums with a corner of the spine cut off, but still. What I have is a few that have saw-cuts somewhere, these though may be in the spine, but they're usually very small, so... my Sam Rivers "Contrasts" has such a cut, 2cm deep, on the top of the cover, pretty close to the opening. Not as bad as a corner cut off.

Miles Davis at Blackhawk, Mosaic

Nice set, Porky? Thinking about getting it soon.

Lee Morgan: Candy (Classic Records reissue)

Tom Waits: Real Gone

Stanley Turrentine: Hustlin' (Original BN stereo)

I love this set, I couldn't compare the sound quality with original or different pressings or cd because I have only this set, but for me the sound is ok, considering it's a live recording. Strongly recomended, as every Miles' Mosaic. ;)

"New Orleans Jazz Heritage 1976 Festival"

This two record set was recorded live at the festival and is magnificent, I think.

The album featured Professor Longhair, Allen Toussaint, Lightenin' Hopkins, Irma Thomas, Ernie K-Doe, Lee Dorsey, Robert Parker and Earl King.

Great stuff!!

Edited by patricia

Blue Mitchell "Heads Up!"

New blood in the Vinyl Forum!! Welcome, Pasta!!!

"Baby Face" Willette: Stop And Listen ('94 "Wally" reissue)

Hampton Hawes: Here And Now

Mulligan/Baker Mosaic

Where can one find more of those "Wally" BNs?

Last nite:

Lee Morgan "Candy" - regular BN reissue, not the Classic but wow! It's the mono version! :tup

Freddie Redd "Shades of Redd" - same regular BN Reissue as above. This is stereo though...sounds good.

Rahsaan Roland Kirk "Blacknuss" - Rhino reissue. Wow... cool music...

$10 each at a local mom n pop store. :tup

"Pub Crawling with Jimmy Deuchar" from 1956 featuring a 21 year old Tubby Hayes on tenor and a 21 year old Vic Feldman. Every track is named after a brand of beer and, like the originals, the music is pretty damned good. The copy I have is American, issued by Contemporary Records and has that lovely thick card cover I remember so well from when the first Electra albums arrived here in Scotland sometime in the early sixties. Gee, I feel old. Stamped all over the cover is "SAMPLE RECORD NOT FOR SALE. I got this on ebay some time ago but "lost" it amongst the junk pile that has taken over "my" study. Very nice - I just wish I had been into Jazz when I was young and had seen Tubby in particular play.

Where can one find more of those "Wally" BNs?

I've got a couple for sale(JR Monterose and Griffin/Congregation), as I now have the Classic versions.

Listening to:

Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers with Monk(4 Men With Beards stellar reissue) :tup

Sonny Sharrock: Black Woman(4 Men With Beards reissue)

Isaac Hayes: Hot Buttered Soul(Fairly recent Mobile Fidelity reissue)

Freddie Roach 'Mo' Greens Please'. This one is the NY USA mono original but also deep-grooved on both sides. Most unusual for this title.

To be followed up with Paul Desmont 'Live at Bourbon Street' (A&M Horizon, 2LPs). Recorded live at a club in Toronto.

Edited by sidewinder

Freddie Hubbard: Ready For Freddie In terms of sonics, another example of a really nice sounding blue label w/ Van Gelder in the dead wax that can be found for a bargain compared to earlier pressings.

I agree. I've found some of the Stanley T BN-LA's in minty condition and they sound superb! :tup

So my wife and I had a "date night" this weekend. In celebration of the 11th anniversary of our first date. :tup

And the little sweetie surprises me with a sealed copy of the reissued Coltrane "Heavyweight Champion" boxed set!!!

I mean !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!

What a nice package...much nicer than the cd set. All I've played so far have sounded just fabulous!

She also gave me a sealed copy of "Miles Davis Greatest Hits" on Prestige from 1966! I'd been eyeing this one at the record store...promo copy...never opened...$30. It's in just perfect shape. Played well, but didn't sound as good as the Coltranes...but did with a little eq! :tup

Great vinyl weekend! B-)