• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wayne Shorter Moto Grosso Feio 1970 Blue Note session, not released until 1974. Not Wayne's most compelling date, but nice enough. Mostly pretty, quiet moments in between "floaty," less focused segments. With Chick Corea, Ron Carter, John McLaughlin, Dave Holland and Mitchell Prell. Not sure this ever made it to cd.

Mitchell Prell.

Isn't it 'Micheline Pelzer'. Her father played host to many visiting jazz stars in Liege, Belgium and I think that's how she got the invite to do the recording with Wayne. There's an interesting section on this in James Gavin's 'Deep in a Dream' book.

Just been playing Dizzy Gillespie 'Perceptions' Verve deep groove pressing. Lovely stuff - superbly orchestrated by JJ Johnson.

Followed up with Rhoda Scott 'The Thad Jones Mel Lewis Orchestra With Rhoda Scott' (Japanese Barclay). This one smokes !!

Edited by sidewinder

It's unusual to find 45RPM records, used, which are still playable. It seems as though they were not as treasured as LPs, but I found 5 in pristine condition the other day.

The EP [four tracks] titled, "Glenn Miller #3" is playing now.

The tracks are:

Side 1

Elmer's Tune

Moonlight Cocktail

Side 2

Johnson Rag

Missouri Waltz

I was really surprised to find one of these, especially still in it's original cover, no scratches and it even included a little triangular "centre". Of course I have the four tracks featured on several of my LPs, but I couldn't resist. :)

The others were:

Manhatton Transfer -1.- Boy From New York City- 2.- Confirmation

Roy Parker Jr. - 1.- Ghostbusters - 2.- Ghostbusters [instrumental]

Prince and the Revolution -1.-When Doves Cry 2.- 17 Days [don't like this]

Mr. Mister - 1.-Broken Wings 2.- Uniform of Youth

Randy Weston: Live at the Five Spot (UA/Toshiba EMI - Japan)

It's always interesting to hear Coleman Hawkins playing younger a musician's repertoire. KD plays some good stuff on this, and I've always felt that Clifford Jarvis playing has been overlooked. And, for that matter, Roy Haynes, who also plays on this date, has never gotten his due.

Brock Peters, on the other hand, is a whole other matter, but he's only on one track.

Mitchell Prell.

Isn't it 'Micheline Pelzer'. Her father played host to many visiting jazz stars in Liege, Belgium and I think that's how she got the invite to do the recording with Wayne. There's an interesting section on this in James Gavin's 'Deep in a Dream' book.

Just been playing Dizzy Gillespie 'Perceptions' Verve deep groove pressing. Lovely stuff - superbly orchestrated by JJ Johnson.

Followed up with Rhoda Scott 'The Thad Jones Mel Lewis Orchestra With Rhoda Scott' (Japanese Barclay). This one smokes !!

Not ssure. I just wrote what was on the liner notes.

Brew Moore- Sonet

Poll Winners- Ride Again - Contemporary (Mono)

Buck Clayton- Buck N Boogie- Vanguard/Fontana

Johnny Hodges- Vol 1 on Verve Chronological - Verve (F) reissue

Jazz Mission to Moscow- Ghent - reissue, with my fave Eddie costa

Mitchell Prell.

Not ssure. I just wrote what was on the liner notes.

Definetely Micheline Pelzer, the drum-playing daughter of saxophonist-pharmacist Jacques Pelzer.

She is also listed as Michelin Prell on the BN vinyl front and back covers (and also in the Ruppli-Cuscuna BN book) :huh:

Now playing:

Harold Land Jazz Impressions of Folk Music (Imperial)

This thread drives me batty-when I'm at work and I sneak a few peeks here and what do I see but our European friends are at home listening to cool things. So, now I'm home and I'm listening to Nick Brignola-Baritone Madness (which I seem to have to listen to at least once a week). Of course, there is some diminished pleasure ("schadenfreude light") since they don't know what I'm listening to because they are asleep...well, you get the picture.

Our EU friends seem to listen to a ton of stuff I've never seen or heard of.

Enjoying a couple reissues I was not planning on getting. Classic Records did two Miles Davis 10 inch titles. Young Man With A Horn(5013) and Vol. 3 (5040). Deep groove labels, flat edge, etc.. Very nice!!

At $30 each I've always spent my $$ elswhere, as I have the tunes in various forms.

A $12.99 each(still sealed :) ) Buy It Now on eBay sent me over the edge.

Bernie's Tune-Bernard Peiffer- Emarcy. I guess this was his first US date. Side 1 is a trio with Joe Puma and Oscar Pettiford. Side 2 a quartet with Puma, Chuck Andrus and Ed Thigpen. Very nice date.

Also The Jorgen Ryg Jazz Quartet -Emarcy. Decent trumpet player. I think this date was probably leased from Metronome Records of Sweden.