• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kenny Dorham 'Trompeta Toccata' (BN mono)

That title track just kills! Move over Frank Wright, Joe Henderson's in town! -_- :tup

Love all of the four tracks. Got kicks out of reading KD's quote from the Nat Hentoff liner notes when the next tune to be recorded was 'Mamacita':

Mamacita is Joe Henderson's infectious tune. 'Once we got started on it' Kenny recalls 'and Tootie began playing what I would call a gospel bossa nova beat, we all got caught in this groove. I could see Alfred Lion and Frank Wolff of Blue Note also moving around. Everybody caught on fire'...

My latest eBay purchases were lying on our doormat today ...

.. and now on my turntable:

Pepper Adams - Critics' choice (World Pacific) :tup

Quincy Jones - The Quintessence (impulse!)

Ron Jefferson - Love lifted me (Pacific)

Alex Kallao Trio (w/Milt Hinton) - An evening a the embers (RCA Victor)

:excited:

Mezz Mezzrow Memorial - Theatre des Champs-Elysees 6 Mars 1953 (Vogue)

This double LP was issued in 1972 after Mezzrow died in Paris. Mezzrow's fellow musicians included Buck Clayton, Russell 'Big Chief' Moore, Gene Sedric on tenor - and dueling with Mess on clarinet on one tune - Red Richard and Kansas Fields.

Don't thing this pleasant concert was ever reissued.

Prince Lasha Ensemble 'Insight' (UK CBS)

That is a great, great record. Man! Just thinking about it gets me fired up. Too bad it's on the shelf and I'm at work, otherwise I'd spin it right now... Lasha's got some great stories about that session, too.

Yep - just getting into it. Looks like Stan Tracey's trio must have accompanied him at Ronnie Scotts, hence the lineup of this LP based around Tracey's trio.

Can you enlighten us as to what stories Lasha has regarding this session? :excited:

Just about to crank up Bill Russo Orchestra 'Stonehenge' (UK Columbia Lansdowne)

Edited by sidewinder

Here's a bit of relevant PL material. Please don't reprint this at the moment, as it hasn't been published.

CA: When did you go to England?

PL: It was somewhere around ’65 to ’67. I used some of the Queen’s Royal Orchestra for that record. I had a friend named John Hammond at CBS, and he always liked my playing and John Handy’s playing. He said ‘I’m going to set you up a date for CBS in Great Britain [which resulted in Insight, CBS UK, 1966].’ I went over with a friend of mine, the bass player John Hartt, and I lived in Kensington for about a year on Russell Road, and Yusef Lateef used to come over and he wrote some of the parts for the harp. John was a millionaire who went on the road with Philly Joe Jones and later lost his life; he was a great bass player and sat up all night playing like Bud Powell on the bass. He had drums and everything, and I used to have Yusef come over because he was playing Ronnie Scott’s club at the time. I played a concert in Cambridge, one in Brighton and recorded there. I was living with Hartt and we rode around in Bentleys; they didn’t have minks, but chinchillas for their ladies! We were staying at a mansion and built a big bonfire at night. The mansion had so much land to it, a great big place, and we had a baby grand piano inside so we’d play throughout the night. We built a big bonfire and smoked a lot of hashish, did whatever we wanted. Having an invitation to come to this place, I took Moffett with me and Chris Bateson, and we’d do gigs at night. I think the family that owned it was out of the country; John was a relative of the owners. We could do what we wanted, but we had to have discipline. We weren’t close to anyone, and the music has always been very well-mannered; it’s not like rock, you don’t hear this next door. We did music inside at this mansion with three or four floors, ten or twelve baths, just all kinds of beautiful areas.

CA: When you put that band together for Insight, did that band work at all, or was it just for the record date?

PL: It was for the record date; Stan [Tracey] was working Ronnie Scott’s as was Yusef, and the other cats were working clubs too. I just went over there for CBS because John Hammond got that together. Joe Oliver was the drummer, and he was the only other brother in the band. He was in New York at some point, I think.

and more...

PL: The theme of Eric Dolphy belongs to that CBS record, because he was a good friend, and I wrote that tune [“Impressions of Eric Dolphy”] that Yusef Lateef contributed the tempo section to, with the flute playing the birdseye cadenza.

I know I've got more in the archives too, but I can't seem to find it. You get the idea, though...

Cheers,

CT

Here's a bit of relevant PL material. t]

Thanks Clifford - this is quite fascinating. There is a recording of one of Yusef's Ronnie Scott shows from this period out on the Harkitt label at the moment.

There was some incidental solo flute music used on one of the 'serious' shows on BBC2 TV back in the late 60s that I always thought sounded just like Lasha but dismissed as possibly being from him. I wonder if it is Lasha though? Quite possible, it would seem...

Edited by sidewinder

There was some incidental solo flute music used on one of the 'serious' shows on BBC2 TV back in the late 60s that I always thought sounded just like Lasha but dismissed as possibly being from him. I wonder if it is Lasha though? Quite possible, it would seem...

I'll ask him next time I talk to him. I wouldn't doubt it, you know...

Right now: Bitches Brew (2-eye stereo). Been trying to make my peace with it but Wayne's soprano keeps getting in the way.