Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All over the map tonight...

Grant Green - Grantstand (Blue label RVG Stereo)

Evan Lurie - Pieces for Bandoneon (Euro Crepuscule issue?)

Lem Winchester - Another Opus (Status orange label)

Ray Charles/Milt Jackson - Soul Meeting (Atlantic original)

Art Pepper 'Living Legend' (Contemporary) with Hampton Hawes, Charlie Haden, Shelly Manne

I really love that record. I think it's my favorite of the later Pepper.

Tonight I'm trying out some new purchases from Joe's Record Paradise in Rockville, MD. First up is Phantasmagoria by Curtis Clark, with Roberto Miranda and Sonship Theus. 1984 Nimbus Records.

Curtis Clark Deep Sea Diveralso on Nimbus, from 1985

Sam Rivers Sizzle from 1976 on ABC. Has Dave Holland and Barry Altschul, among others.

Manfred Mann 'Chapter Three' (Vertigo). Some nice playing from saxophonist Bernie Living on this one. A very successful late 60s rock and jazz hybrid.

Followed by:

Gerry Mulligan/Shelly Manne 'Jazz Combo From I Want To Live' (London label UK original mono pressing)

Slide Hampton Octet 'Sister Salvation' (London label UK original mono, DG)

Edited by sidewinder

Manfred Mann 'Chapter Three' (Vertigo). Some nice playing from saxophonist Bernie Living on this one. A very successful late 60s rock and jazz hybrid.

I think Living is on LJCO "Ode" as well (as are most players of the period, it seems); haven't heard much of his soloing, though. What's he like in a stripped-down context?

I think Living is on LJCO "Ode" as well (as are most players of the period, it seems); haven't heard much of his soloing, though. What's he like in a stripped-down context?

Quite fiery - very similar to his work of this vintage with Mike Westbrook. He's also featured on flute and Harry Beckett takes a couple of trumpet solos.