• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Buddy DeFranco: Bravura...Beautiful original stereo from 1960.

Hodges: Blues-A-Plenty...Super Classic Records reissue

Ellington/Hodges: Back To Back...Classic Records reissue

Hodges: Used To Be Duke...Ludwig mastered reissue :tup

Edited by wolff

fresh out of its shrink wrap...

Ira Sullivan- Flying Fish- produced by our CN, perhaps the best Sullivan album i've heard, better certainly than some of Electra dates with Red Rodney( which aren't exactly poor either)

Edited by Clunky

On I GANGANITI DEL JAZZ label - Jazz Jazz - Live performances by Sarah Vaughan, who sings a fabulous version of Embraceable You and has a kick-ass take on My Hear Belongs To Daddy, backed by the Dizzy Gillespie Quintet.

The rest of the tracks are:

Dizzy Gillespie's Quintet - Be Bop

Dizzy Gillespie's Big Band - Things To Come

Miles Davis Quintet - Milestone

Charlie Mingus and his Sextet - Pithecanthropus Eretus

There are no cover notes on this album, but the music is amazing, with the live audience providing the excitement that a studio recording wouldn't have.

LOVE this. :wub:

Edited by patricia

More Kirk. This time 'Slightly Latin' (Limelight, original stereo). Really like this album, can never work out why it keeps on getting a lukewarm rap. Sound of the LP is also most noticeably better than that on the Mercury CD box.

Edited by sidewinder

fresh out of its shrink wrap...

Ira Sullivan- Flying Fish- produced by our CN, perhaps the best Sullivan album i've heard, better certainly than some of Electra dates with Red Rodney( which aren't exactly poor either)

Thanks for that. Ira has told me any number of times this is his favorite recording. I have the masters and hope to reissue it some day. I would include a wonderful bonus blues. :)

The soundtrack from "Lenny", from the film with Dustin Hoffman as Lenny Bruce, directed by Bob Fosse and the music produced and directed by Ralph Burns.

This is an interesting album in that it has eight Bruce monologues by Hoffman, indespersed with great jazz of the period, most by Ralph Burns, but a great track of Miles Davis' "It Never Entered My Mind" is part of the music for the film.

I picked this up on a whim, but it is a fine jazz album, with the added bonus of some of Lenny Bruce's standup bits that landed him in the hoosecow a couple of times. I really enjoyed listening to it.

Edited by patricia

From my newly arrived disc one from Martial Solal-Live- 1959-1985, sadly there is  a warp in the LP which causes hiccups for the first 2 mins on each side,

as it turns out all 4 discs are warped and first tracks on each side skip badly for the first 2-3 mins before settling to a lower grade brushing sound. Although the set was inexpensive I'm gutted. :(:(

I wonder if this film is on DVD... or is there an actual documentary on Bruce out? I'd like to learn more, but reading about him doesn't really do the guy justice.

Clifford I don't know if the film is on DVD, although being a Fosse film, I would think it's more likely than if it were a fringe film. Hoffman was nominated for an Oscar for his role in it.

I also don't think that there is a documentary, though it would make a great one. Bruce was funny and his humour groundbreaking at the time. These days he would almost be mainstream.

The music is great though.

Having said all that, I googled "lenny bruce,documentary" and discovered that there are several, some by BBC and one of which is now being produced by Robert de Niro, but not released yet. So, check it out. I intend to see one, or all of them if I can locate them. Should be very interesting

Edited by patricia

The Fosse film is a drag but then, most docu-dramas are.

I have this on VHS and it is out on DVD.

Thank you Marcello. I fear you are right about docudramas. I actually didn't see "Lenny" as a film, but the LP is very enjoyable.

I give you a more recent example of a misguided docudrama, "Beyond The Sea", the Bobby Darin bio. Nobody can doubt that it was a labour of love by Kevin Spacey, who played Darin. But it is not the same thing as seeing Darin's actual filmed appearances which are available. A&E did a decent bio a couple of years ago with tons of performance footage.

There is always pressure to do bios of beloved, or interesting performers and Lenny Bruce is no exception. It always seems strange to make a fictional film when the real stuff is out there.

"Ray" was an excellent docudrama, but the actual performance footage is much better than even Jamie Foxx's performance, excellent though it was.

But, the Lenny soundtrack LP is very good, mostly for the music.

Edited by patricia