• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From my newly arrived disc one from Martial Solal-Live- 1959-1985, sadly there is  a warp in the LP which causes hiccups for the first 2 mins on each side,

as it turns out all 4 discs are warped and first tracks on each side skip badly for the first 2-3 mins before settling to a lower grade brushing sound. Although the set was inexpensive I'm gutted. :(:(

Time to try some Speaker's Corner reissues. You will pay more, but you should get some flat, quiet and good sounding reissues. I'll tell you, all my SC reissues get played a ton, because they are an excellent product. Their latest Lester Young Norgran title is what analog and vinyl is all about.

Edited by wolff

"The Avant-Garde" by John Coltrane & Don Cherry - from the Heavyweight Champ boxed set...

Awesome!

However, track 2 on Side B "The Invisible" is in mono. Not that I'm really complaining. It sounds marvelous. I'll have to check my cd of this set to check if it's mono as well...

:cool:

Did you guys hear my wife got me a new Music Hall MMF-5 turntable for my recent birthday?

She rules!!! :wub:

Edited by Parkertown

Woody Shaw with Anthony Braxton 'The Iron Men' (Muse)

Great album - Muhal cooks on that one. :tup

Currently spinning:

Wayne Shorter 'Adams Apple' (BN blue label Liberty - wow, sounds great)

Donald Byrd 'Fancy Free' (BN Liberty)

Kenny Cox 'Multidirection' (BN Liberty, needs to be reissued on CD :tup )

The Blues, featuring Ray Charles - This is really early stuff, from the fifties I think, on HURRAH records.

Ray Charles - This is an interesting record. Three tracks, I Can See Clearly Now, Let It Be, How Long Has This Been Going On. What's interesting is that although this is a 12" record, it plays on 45RPM!!! At first I thought that it sounded kinda draggy. Then I realized it was the speed I was playing it on.

NICE version of Let It Be, so it must have been recorded in the sixties.

The label is Midsong International Records. Strange I thought.

Edited by patricia

Where are the best sources for Speakers Corner and Classic lps?  I know the Trumpet has the latter, but they are on the pricey side.

Most places charge $30, but I use Red Trumpet for 2 reasons. They have been completely understanding regarding Classic Records spotty quality of late and take returns without a hastle. They also have sales once every couple months. Right now they are having a 10% off 4th of July sale, and often they will have a $4 off items over $20-25 sale. Plus, free shipping for purchases over $50. So, I pay $26-27 each, with free shipping. Still pricey, but the best I've found.

What titles are you thinking about?

Edited by wolff

Benny Carter 'Jazz Allstar Orchestra Live in Japan '79' (Paddle Wheel)

The Allstar orchestra include Cat Anderson, Joe Newman, Jimmy Cleveland, Budd Johnson, Cecil Payne, Joe Kennedy, Ray Bryant, George Duvivier and Harold Jones!

Edited by brownie

For the past two weeks, I have been expoloring Air's music (Henry Threadgill, Fred Hopkins & Steve McCall).

Air - Air Song - India Navigation (reissue of Japanese Why Not issue)

Air - Live Air - Black Saint

Air - Air Raid - Why Not

Air - Air Time - nessa (Thank you Chuck)

Air - Open Air Suit - Arista/Novus

Air - Montreux Suisse Air - Arista/Novus

Air - Air Lore - Arista/Novus

Air - 80 deg Below '82 - Antilles

An ebay LP win, Air Mail on Black Saint is on its way from the UK!

charles

Edited by charlesp

Adrian,

Henry Threadgill - Rag, Bush and All - RCA/Novus - this one sounds pretty dark and muddy on vinyl, interesting but a hard listen

But what wonderful music! - "The Devil Is on the Loose and Dancin' witha Monkey" and "Sweet Holy Rag" jump, swing, surprise, rock, slide and sing...Is the cd dramatically better? If so, I might begin searching, because I love this music.

charles

Edited by charlesp