What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Billie Holiday: "The Golden Years" Volume II(Columbia C3L 40).   Nice "Radio Station Copy- Not For Sale" 3LP set from 1966. 

Is your set 2-eye or 6-eye ?

2 eye.

Goldmine says this was the original of this comp. Vol. I came out as both a 6 and 2 eye.

I have 2 sets [don't ask, it's a hoarding thing...], one is a 6-eye, the other is a 2-eye.

My Lps are boxed for the move, but I'm pretty sure that all 3 Lps in the 1st set are 6-eye. Haven't compared the sound of the 6-eye to the 2-eye. Booklet is not too shabby either. Some nice photos there, if my memory serves me right.

I got both for $1 each...mint. Vinyl rocks!

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jazz Canada Montreux 1978 - Tommy Banks Big Band - with "Big" Miller.

This was released on the Radio Canada International label. It was produced by Radio Canada.

Those of you unfamiliar with Tommy Banks, who worked out of Edmonton Alberta might find it interesting to know that he was not just very well known in Canada. His band was well respected internationally.

In addition to "Big" Miller, Banks has worked with Aretha Franklin, Tom Jones, Roberta Flack, Vickie Carr and the great Henry Mancini.

He was also the director of the Edmonton Symphony orchestra.

This band is very swingin' and the two record set is well-worth listening to.

I bought this album because Miller, who facinated me when I saw him perform live, is featured as the vocalist. But the band was already familiar to me, having appeared often on CBC television when I was growing up.

Miller, originally from Kansas City, liked Canada so much that he emigrated, making his home in Edmonton, Alberta. There is a statue there, erected in his honour.

Edited by patricia

Leonard Feather Presents Encyclopedia Of Jazz On Records Vols 3 and 4. The Forties and The Fifties. 2 record set.

The tracks are by

Forties:

Artie Shaw

Stan Kenton

King Cole

Coleman Hawkins

Jay McShann

Roy Eldridge

Art Tatum

Billie Holiday

Eddie Condon

Eddie Heywood

Lionel Hampton

Woody Herman

Fifties:

Red Norvo

Errol Garner

Charlie Ventura

Louis Armstrong

Jimmy McPartland

Tony Scott

Benny Green

Terry Gibbs

Elmer Bernstein

Ralph Burns

John Graas

Les Brown

This is typical of Feather's compilations in that it is beautifully produced and paced and features the best of the best of both decades featured.

Edited by patricia

The Best Of Blue Note - Blue Note BS2C 84429 - 2 record set.

This has all the HUGE hits from Bud Powell, James Moody, Theloneous Monk, Milt Jackson, Clifford Brown, Miles Davis, John Coltrane etc

But the sidemen are just as interesting. For example, there's Lee Morgan with Coltrane on Blue Train and with Art Blakey and the Messengers on Moanin', plus again on his own monster hit, The Sidewinder.

Great album.

Edited by patricia

I know it's totally dumb put picked up a mono copy of Beatles Revolver 2nd pressing.

Only £6. It was covered in sticky finger marks and light scratches but after a good scrub plays without skipping even if there is constant ( if not intrusive) background noise. I'll stick with the CD.

Johnny Richards- My fair lady/Rites... Vogue 2LP ( white label promo)

Love those UK Vogue doubles. That Johnny Richards is very good, particularly the 'Diablo' session. Particular favourites from this series are the various volumes of 'West Coast Scene', the Stan Getz/Johnny Smith, the Harry Edison 'Sweet Tracks' and the various Roulette Basies. The John Handy 'In The Vernacular' still seems to elude me though. :(

The Blues - Vols 3 and 5 - on Italian label, JOKER.

I only have these two volumes of the set of albums.

They end with Vol 6, which along with 1, 2 and 4 I don't have either.

Now, I could follow my second mentor's lead and become a completist, but the two I have are very nice.

I could keep my eye out for the others, but unlike him I won't move heaven and earth.

That's the sure road to insanity. :crazy:

Edited by patricia

The Blues - Vols 3 and 5 - on Italian label, JOKER.

I only have these two volumes of the set of albums.

They end with Vol 6, which along with 1, 2 and 4 I don't have either.

Now, I could follow my second mentor's lead and become a completist, but the two I have are very nice. 

I could keep my eye out for the others, but unlike him I won't move heaven and earth. 

That's the sure road to insanity. :crazy:

Just curious - who's on those two records?