• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ira Sullivan - Nicky's Tune (Delmark), w/ Nicky Hill, Jodie Christian, Wilbur Campbell and Vic Sproles.

Sidewinder: the Colbeck is pretty tough to find, a later Fontana from '70 (cat. no. 6383.001), and despite the fact that he played with Noah Howard and Sunny Murray, it's not really that 'free,' very accessible in fact. Lissack's an amazing drummer, too, a South African cat who lived in London in the '60s. Played on only one other record, with Ken Terroade, which is being reissued soon.

"The Trumpet Magic of Rafael Mendez" on Decca.

This has the most awe-inspiring Paganini composition originally for violin on it, "Moto Perpetuo".

Mendez plays the composition, an extremely difficult one, on his trumpet, each note absolutely perfect. He is playing throughout the entire track [4 min.21sec.] without stopping, backed by a full orchestra conducted by Kurt Graunke. This is the most amazing example of circular breathing at it's very finest.

This piece is unbelievable and worth the price of the album, which is wonderful as well.

Edited by patricia

Herbie Mann at the Village Gate, side two. Canadian maroon deepgroove, stereo. Nice pressing, too.

Sidewinder: Shit, if the Colbeck were on Philips, it'd be worth twice what it is now. But rest assured, it's no runt - one of my favorite jazz records, for sure.

I love that Colbeck record, and your quite right about the drumming...out of this world. (We've talked about this many times.)

If I had that on LP i would have worn it out by now...

I love that Colbeck record, and your quite right about the drumming...out of this world.  (We've talked about this many times.)

If I had that on LP i would have worn it out by now...

Kind of like I'm doing with Mauricio Kagel's Exotica, which I'm spinning right now.

Michel Portal, Vinko Globokar Siegfried Palm and several other weirdos creating one hell of a racket. Beautiful!

Just spinning this newly acquired rarety:

Nat Pierce Orchestra 1948-1950 on ZIm Records.

Here's an Al Cohn quote from the back of the LP:

"We must all pitch in and do our part,

otherwise we may not have a part to pitch in."

Here's what I say:

"We must all piss in a pot,

otherwise we won't have a pot to piss in".